• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant R.A.R Tech

Frido19

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4914-4153-7940
Switch FC
SW-4000-0450-7654
So I watched this video armada made explaining the buffering system and noticed that near the end he said you can buffer a short hop aerial by pressing jump and attack at the same time. He also mentioned that if you flick the c-stick first then jump (im assuming within 1 or 2 frames) you'll get a standing reverse n-air. I was labbing around with this tech and realized you can actually R.A.R faster.

Currently you can only R.A.R with forward momentum by canceling the turn around animation with a jump. If you try to do this during the initial dash you will either fox trot in the opposite direction then jump, if you're not fast enough, or R.A.R with no momentum. You can technically do it but its an extremely tight window, but can be alleviated with this new tech I call Instant R.A.R.

If you dash then immediately flick the c-stick in the opposite direction and jump within 1 or 2 frames (not sure on how big the window is) you'll get a R.A.R of any aerial of choice depending on how you performed the technique.

If you dash, flick the c-stick in the opposite followed by jump then releasing the left stick back to neutral you'll get a R.A.R n-air

If you dash, flick the c-stick in the opposite direction, jump, release the left stick back to neutral, but continue to hold the c-stick then you'll get a R.A.R f-air. Essentially a retreating f-air.

Dash, flick c-stick in opposite direction, jump, but rotate left stick up or down you'll u-air or d-air respectively.

Dash, flick c-stick in opposite direction, jump, continue to hold forward and you'll R.A.R b-air from an initial dash.

This tech allows you to consistently R.A.R from a standing position and initial dash frames. Allowing for tighter R.A.R confirms/punishes in close range situations. This could also allow us to further understand the buffering system and how the c-stick registers inputs.

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
Wow this is an amazing technique. Not sure why it works since tilts can't be used during a fox trot. Must have something to do with the new auto short hop aerial mechanic. After some testing I found that you can cancel jabs, tilts, and smash attacks if you press jump during the first 2 frames. This will instead perform a short hop aerial. It won't work on specials though. That's why this works while standing, walking, and running. Your tilt attack turns you around in 1 frame, and then you cancel it into an aerial. But while in a full dash the C stick will perform a dash attack instead so it doesn't work.

Frido19

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4914-4153-7940
Switch FC
SW-4000-0450-7654
I've noticed that too. Its specific to the fox trot and maybe it can work with specials if you set the c-stick to special. I'll have to test that later. So the window for this tech is 2 frames. Thats definitely good to know.

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
Yeah 2 frames. But if your move comes out on frame 2 like Fox's jab, then you have to jump on frame 1.

mototeeth

Smash Rookie
Can you explain further the directional inputs for the bair? Which direction is forward? Am I approaching the opponent, then flicking control stick away like a normal RAR then inputting the c-stick jump buffer towards the opponent, jumping and then holding control stick toward the opponent?

Last edited:

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
The back air works like this.

Dash Forward
Right stick Backwards
Jump

The left stick should be pointing forward the whole time. That's the main reason of using this technique. It allows you to more easily continue your forward momentum while performing RARs.

mototeeth

Smash Rookie
The c stick should be pointing towards the opponent while direction should be away from opponent?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I've been trying this.
The timing is very strict and feels inconsistent.
But yes, the described interaction does indeed happen.
Maybe the tech is particularly harder for Bayo since Bullet Arts make this a big pain.
:196:

Probasaur

Smash Rookie
This is something I've found from messing around with auto short hops and holding the controller with more of a claw so I can always press jump-y and c-stick at the same time over and over which I've found several characters this greatly benefits more and can be used more effectively in matches than others. It can be used pretty well with most of the swordies. its great for spacing aerials and hitting good combos/ juggles such as a quick string up up-airs from chrom up the platforms.

Retoman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Retoman7
I've been trying this tech for a little bit. it's definitely something I want to make part of my game play but i can't get b-air to come out consistently. around 40 percent of the time i get a fair instead, I can't seem to pin down what I'm doing wrong.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It seems to be a timing thing. It's probably very, very strict. I'll keep on labbing it.

EDIT: Just saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1kjQtMaPkE
So this technique is but an extension of that principle.
And understanding exactly how it works makes it much easier to practice.
:196:

Last edited:

Ra-Ha-Horakhty

Smash Cadet
So I watched this video armada made explaining the buffering system and noticed that near the end he said you can buffer a short hop aerial by pressing jump and attack at the same time. He also mentioned that if you flick the c-stick first then jump (im assuming within 1 or 2 frames) you'll get a standing reverse n-air. I was labbing around with this tech and realized you can actually R.A.R faster.

Currently you can only R.A.R with forward momentum by canceling the turn around animation with a jump. If you try to do this during the initial dash you will either fox trot in the opposite direction then jump, if you're not fast enough, or R.A.R with no momentum. You can technically do it but its an extremely tight window, but can be alleviated with this new tech I call Instant R.A.R.

If you dash then immediately flick the c-stick in the opposite direction and jump within 1 or 2 frames (not sure on how big the window is) you'll get a R.A.R of any aerial of choice depending on how you performed the technique.

If you dash, flick the c-stick in the opposite followed by jump then releasing the left stick back to neutral you'll get a R.A.R n-air

If you dash, flick the c-stick in the opposite direction, jump, release the left stick back to neutral, but continue to hold the c-stick then you'll get a R.A.R f-air. Essentially a retreating f-air.

Dash, flick c-stick in opposite direction, jump, but rotate left stick up or down you'll u-air or d-air respectively.

Dash, flick c-stick in opposite direction, jump, continue to hold forward and you'll R.A.R b-air from an initial dash.

This tech allows you to consistently R.A.R from a standing position and initial dash frames. Allowing for tighter R.A.R confirms/punishes in close range situations. This could also allow us to further understand the buffering system and how the c-stick registers inputs.
Yo, I think My Smash Corner stole your idea.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605

Handsome Knob

Smash Rookie
A google search led me here; registered just to say thanks for this info! It really bothered me not knowing why I was getting such random attacks. And now I have new techs to play with!

Ajani

Smash Apprentice
The back air works like this.

Dash Forward
Right stick Backwards
Jump

The left stick should be pointing forward the whole time. That's the main reason of using this technique. It allows you to more easily continue your forward momentum while performing RARs.
I just want to confirm that the end result is a BAir NOT facing towards yoru opponent?

niCkHatHito

Smash Rookie
Hey you above ^! You are thinking too hard about the inputs related to the normal RAR.
i.e. Left Stick towards opponent, mash Left Stick Away, Jump, C Stick towards opponent.

This new tech utilizes some weird combination of buffer + short hop mechanics and jump canceling tilt animation to have the same approaching RAR effect, but with different inputs. (And correct me if I'm wrong, but the magnitude of your momentum may be different with this approach than a typical RAR.)
The inputs everyone is talking about here is:

Left Stick towards opponent, mash C Stick Away, Jump (within 2 frame to cancel an otherwise cstick dash attack), Keep Left Stick held towards opponent throughout all of this.

The main mechanic revolves around the cstick + 2-frame jump cancel. You effectively use the the LEFT STICK to get the desired aerial.
1. Resetting it to neutral during the jump cancel gives you a momentum-cancelled Nair, despite you having just dashed
2. The RAR tech here works based on the inputs described
3. you can also get uairs and dairs by putting left stick to up and down respectively
Timing is tight as tight (2 frame), so expect this to need training / not have 100% consistency... Heck expect more like 20% consistency until you really nail it down. I'd also suggest a shoulder jump button (r or Z) or extreme comfort in the claw grip (yuck) to make this more realistic.

Last edited:

niCkHatHito

Smash Rookie
I'd love to know if there is anyway to utilize this to buffer pivot bair from throw. Or if you just have to time the execution of this technique on the first active frames you have from throwing.. (ike main trying to get easier down throw pivot bairs :) )

Firox

Smash Master
Does the c-stick have to be set to tilts or can a smash c-stick work? I really hope I don't have to rewire my brain again.

niCkHatHito

Smash Rookie
Does the c-stick have to be set to tilts or can a smash c-stick work? I really hope I don't have to rewire my brain again.
This works with tilt stick. I've been practicing and it's pretty strict timing (2 frame), but seems like it could be usuable with the right amount of drilling in training for muscle memory.

Basically push the sticks both in or away and press jump immediately after to get the instant rar.
Facing Left with intention to instant RAR to the right: LS to right, Cstick to Left, Jump instantly after cstick (2frame)
Facing Right with intetion to instant RAR to the left: LS to the left, Cstick to the right, Jump instantly after cstick (2frame)

Smash_Lam

Smash Rookie
I found this technique to be extremely difficult to pull off unless using claw grip. Any advice for regular grip without having to remap the jump button? I'm not comfortable with claw. I just can't seem to move my thumb from c-stick to "y" fast enough :(

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I found this technique to be extremely difficult to pull off unless using claw grip. Any advice for regular grip without having to remap the jump button? I'm not comfortable with claw. I just can't seem to move my thumb from c-stick to "y" fast enough :(
The easiest thing to do, if you don't want to change your grip, is to remap your jump.

I use Y and Left Trigger for jump. I use Y for all of my short hops aerials (Y + A is super easy to press together) and left trigger for anything that needs to be buffered, like buffered full hop out of up throw, etc.

Last edited:

Ryankiller5

Smash Rookie
I have another, much easier way of getting instant-RAR:
performed by inputting jump, then a dash in either direction during jump-squat. The dash does not turn you around, but just gives you dash-jump aerial speed.
This can be used to perform instant RARs, and even move MUCH further when jumping OOS.
I have found this to be very strong for punishing characters that try to space aerials on shield, because now you can travel much further with jump OOS.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
performed by inputting jump, then a dash in either direction during jump-squat. The dash does not turn you around, but just gives you dash-jump aerial speed.
This can be used to perform instant RARs, and even move MUCH further when jumping OOS.
I have found this to be very strong for punishing characters that try to space aerials on shield, because now you can travel much further with jump OOS.
Can you provide a video comparing the two versions of IRAR?

Ryankiller5

Smash Rookie
Can you provide a video comparing the two versions of IRAR?
I cannot. I found it randomly one day while trying to do standing Bairs across the stage. I do not know how I would record a video of it though, and I can't do the attack-cancel style of IRAR. This is, however, simple enough for others to try out and make their own videos about. I am just hoping for a shoutout in those videos

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
You can save a replay of the game to your SDcard and upload it via your computer.

This is from Reddit:
What you can do though is save replays and convert them to video. The videos aren't viewable in the Switch album but they get dumped to your SD card and you can put them on a computer to upload them however you will.

Shieldlesscap

Smash Apprentice
I’m sure some people have already realized this, but a few of these techs actually have nothing to do with RAR, and are actually just Attack cancels.

That said, there’s actually a way to do retreating Fair even without using RAR. That said, you should use RAR because what I’m about to describe requires you to make 3 inputs in 4 frames:
- Jump
- C-Stick Forward
- Left Stick back
If you want to do this, it’s a REQUIREMENT that you do the C-Stick input before you do the left stick input.

This one works with Smash Stick but you can’t buffer the fair

In addition, you can RAR Retreating Fair a different way:
- Run in one direction
- Run in another direction
- Jump
- Hold the left stick back and the C-Stick forward

RARing seems to cancel the momentum from the C-Stick and it’s cool.

This one works with Smash Stick.

Both of these methods imo work better than AC Reverse Fair, because your method requires returning the stick to neutral which limits the speed you can retreat at. The above methods let you retreating fair without returning the stick to neutral.

Last edited:

Ryankiller5

Smash Rookie
the best use of my technique is probably OOS and for certain specialized combos. My tech requires 2 inputs (jump and directional input), and the aerial can be buffered separately. It does not use attack canceling. it is quite simple, but there is a lot that I haven't labbed it with.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I'm a little sad that Ryu and Ken can't do attack cancelled B-airs... all I get are attack cancelled F-airs with them. It must be due to their programming forcing them to face the opponent in 1v1s. I can do it consistently with Snake and Fox so I know I'm not crazy here.

A real RAR b-air still works.

Scarlet Spyder

Smash Cadet
Somebody please make a video or test this! I am trying to do instant RARs for Greninja without having to change my controller settings or being ultra frame-perfect... Thanks everyone for all the input on this advanced tech.

Ryankiller5

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to get my act together to show this, but it absolutely works. However, in my testing, I found that walk-jump air speed is equal to dash-jump air speed. I think if your control stick is pointing all the way in a direction on the first airborne frame, then you have max air speed in that direction. This makes instant RAR simple to preform, and I have even used my technique out of early dash-turn to achieve instant RAR. I'm far from consistent though.

-Saltyclams-

Smash Rookie

ill have to check this out in the lab cause i haven't tried it out yet

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Does stick sensitivity make this easier/harder to pull off, or is it unaffected?
unaffected by stick sensitivity, because the tech is activated by cancelling a neutral attack (jab, tilt or smash) with jump.

Also unaffected by whether smash stick or tilt stick is being used.

Last edited:

fozzy fosbourne

Smash Apprentice
This might be other technique that the poster above was referring to:
Testing it out in training with the frame stepping, it looks like if done perfectly you have to burn just 1 frame forward before you get the input. So 1 frame of dash + normal bair frames, total. (Doing back plus jump on the exact same frame is going to be difficult, but just pointing out the constraints we're working with). You can do it with short hop or full hop.

Last edited:

Xive

Smash Rookie
Heres a big question ive had for a while, ive seen people jab to full hop back air with zero momentum instanly and that blows my mind....i cant figure it out, halp!

Top Bottom