• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Input responsivenes?

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, I'm a noob when it comes to modding and I am trying to get my feet wet. One thing I've noticed that is different between project m and melee, is that inputs are a lot more responsive for project m (like in melee, trying to dash dance but only turning in place). Is there a way to improve the way melee responds to inputs?

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn’t really call it “responsiveness”, as your controller responds in-game the exact same way. Various techniques in Project Magus just have a more lenient timing input window, which makes them easier to perform.
https://smashboards.com/posts/20457804/
Good stuff, thanks for the link. Timing window I guess is more appropriate, I've also heard input threshold. For some reason it just doesn't seem like the right word. Maybe I've just been reading too much textbook for school haha.
I have a few other questions: is it possible to put turn around b mechanic into melee? (This I know works in project m)
Does Project M have a buffer window?

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Good stuff, thanks for the link. Timing window I guess is more appropriate, I've also heard I put threshold. For some reason it just doesn't seem like the right word. Maybe I've just been reading too much textbook for school haha.
I have a few other questions: is it possible to put turn around b mechanic into melee? (This I know works in project m)
Does Project M have a buffer window?
Threshold and timing window are both significant, but different. Threshold refers to the joystick value, e.g. you can't do a spotdodge without having your joystick lower than -0.70. So that would be a threshold value that must be met. And then to accompany this is a timing window. So your joystick must meet the threshold AND you must have done so within a certain amount of frames. These things can modified to make techniques harder/easier.

What is turnaround b mechanic? Turning around mid animation?

I don't know anything about Project M.

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff, thQUOTE="Achilles1515, post: 21444559, member: 64966"]I wouldn’t really call it “responsiveness”, as your controller responds in-game the exact same way. Various techniques in Project Magus just have a more lenient timing input window, which makes them easier to perform.
https://smashboards.com/posts/20457804/[/QUOTE]
Threshold and timing window are both significant, but different. Threshold refers to the joystick value, e.g. you can't do a spotdodge without having your joystick lower than -0.70. So that would be a threshold value that must be met. And then to accompany this is a timing window. So your joystick must meet the threshold AND you must have done so within a certain amount of frames. These things can modified to make techniques harder/easier.

What is turnaround b mechanic? Turning around mid animation?

I don't know anything about Project M.
Hmm I would like to learn more about this stuff, is there a page that breaks these technical terms down?

Turn around b I think may just be a value present only in some moves, for example, in melee fox can turn around laser in the air, but Roy can not turn around flare blade (however, Roy can do this in PM). Also, you can input a turn around laser with fox in PM, the animation immediately changes so fox is pointing the other way. Not so with Fox in melee, fox will first complete the turning animation before accepting the input to laser.

Last edited:
Top Bottom