• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Input Lag issues driving me insane..

playpat3

Smash Rookie
im new to smash, but i have been playing this game religiously. i put a ton of hours into training, watching tournament matches on my breaks at work, tutorials, looking for tips, arena matches, rank matches, etc. Im addicted to the game, and can see myself getting better each week or so. this is the game that helped me understand fighters. lately tho, i realized im hitting a road block in my progression, and its this unbearable input lag.

ive switched between 3 controllers (joycon, GC, Pro) and i noticed joy-con handheld is the least laggy but i dont want to play the game this way as i use c-stick for tilts which is awkward on joycons and... well sh*t i shouldnt have to.

i main mario and i noticed that in online matches i NEVER try to juggle my opponent with up-airs like i do in training because it feels so damn uncomfortable trying to compensate for the lag and timing when i should throw out the move while anticipating where my opponent in going to land and where to move Mario. its like hes stuck in mud and has turned me off from the game.

so enough b*tching, i wanted peoples opinions.. i did the “game mode” on the tv. better, but not great. its a huge samsung tv, so i decided i wanted to get a console gaming monitor in the near future (like a week or two) and see how that goes.. also, i was going to try to move my modem and plug an ethernet into it. i know that im at the mercy of my opponent on that one but it couldnt hurt ill try it.

i say all that to say this, this game is fun. and i wanna keep playin so if you every experienced this please let me know of its relatively fixable and what you did and how it worked for you. best

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'd definitelty recommend an ethernet cable. A lot of competitive players consider it a necessity for online play.

As for my anecdote, I used to experience very little lag regardless of if I was playing handheld or docked, but bought a cable anyway just in case. After moving and changing internet providers, however, I noticed that I was getting way more input lag while hand held while compared to when I had it docked (and thus connected to the cable).

Last edited:

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
Changing your provider will likely not do any help. Only choice you really have is to get off wifi and use an ethernet connection. Unless your service is total ass, upgrading wont do much. The plights of p2p connection games.

Top Bottom