• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkopolis Plaza – Squid Social

Inklings for Smash?

• Total voters

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Looks like we have a bit of a Splatoon-clone on our hands, guys. :laugh:

This is from a 3DS game by Konami, titled "100% Pasukaru Sensei: Perfect Paint Bombers". There's no word on whether it'll be released outside of Japan, but I figured that it might be of interest, nonetheless.
Not gonna lie, doesn't look great.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's worth noting that it's going to be about other things as well (including 3DS games), though those are going to be the main focus.

I'm hoping for a release date for the final Smash Bros. amiibo and (though I don't know if it's a long shot) the Switch version of Yooka Laylee.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
These guys are the biggest given for Smash Switch and rightfully so.

Definitely support.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know funnly enough saving your inklings equipment and such to the new amiibo it what i thought the spaltoon amiibo were going to do in the first game before we knew what they did do

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Am I the only one who found the recently-revealed official English name for Judd's little clone in Splatoon 2 to be a little bit disappointing? :p

In the original game, Judd was a great localisation choice for the somewhat plain Judge-kun. It evoked the sound it needed to, whilst sounding more like a name that one would give to a cat.

In Japan, the little newcomer is called "Kojudge-kun", which is amusing on multiple levels, as it plays on both "co-judge" and "koneko" (meaning kitten). In the English version, though, his name is simply "Li'l Judd".

Still, I guess there wasn't really an equivalent pun, here, so I doubt there's a lot else they could've done. :laugh:

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who found the recently-revealed official English name for Judd's little clone in Splatoon 2 to be a little bit disappointing? :p

In the original game, Judd was a great localisation choice for the somewhat plain Judge-kun. It evoked the sound it needed to, whilst sounding more like a name that one would give to a cat.

In Japan, the little newcomer is called "Kojudge-kun", which is amusing on multiple levels, as it plays on both "co-judge" and "koneko" (meaning kitten). In the English version, though, his name is simply "Li'l Judd".

Still, I guess there wasn't really an equivalent pun, here, so I doubt there's a lot else they could've done. :laugh:

They could have called him Jurry, a combination of Judd, jury and furry.

But I guess that would have been lame.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
They could have called him Jurry, a combination of Judd, jury and furry.

But I guess that would have been lame.
Bouncing off of that line of thinking, Jerry would also have worked, for the team of Judd and Jerry. :laugh:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Oh man, not only does Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's Renegade Roundup mode look like a ton of fun, the game's rendition of Splatoon's Urchin Underpass looks great, too;

Only ten more days to go!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Tell that to Street Fighter. :p

Jurry isn't a name, but Juri is, and a unisex one, albeit uncommon. Not that Judd is overly common itself...
Judd and Juri it is, then! :laugh:

I do wonder why they went with "Li'l Judd" when there are options for something that somewhat preserves the punning. :confused: I guess time will tell!

EDIT: Unrelated to the above, Japanese accessories manufacturer Keys Factory has landed the Splatoon 2 license, and will be offering several Splatoon 2-themed accessories for the Switch, ranging from soft-cases to Joy-Con covers. Pictures here!

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder, if Urchin Underpass is the default stage for Splatoon, what will the iconic stage of Splatoon 2 be?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It was all fun and games during the original Splatoon's Splatfests, but look what's happened now! The fun and games have now directly affected the plot of the sequel, according to a prologue that's been posted to the official Splatoon 2 website;

About nine months have passed since the final Splatfest.

Twilight lowers its curtain on Inkopolis. Neon signs paint the dusk in brilliant shades of green and pink. The Squid Sisters dance on, as though driven by the Inkling love of battling for turf.

Memories such as these linger, vividly etched in my mind, but feel too like remnants of a long-forgotten past.

It happened the night the final Splatfest came to an end.

The showdown of Callie versus Marie ended in victory for Marie, but there was no ill will between the two. The girls left the studio arm in arm, smiling and laughing as they always had. The bond between them would continue, unbroken, for years to come.

Or so it seemed at the time...
I can't wait 'til they add more.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It was all fun and games during the original Splatoon's Splatfests, but look what's happened now! The fun and games have now directly affected the plot of the sequel, according to a prologue that's been posted to the official Splatoon 2 website;

Haha, that's amazing! I always liked this kind of world-building that Splatoon did, in terms of how it melds the "game" and the universe together, and it looks like they're definitely keeping that in mind for the sequel. And if something really did happen to Callie... then maybe we'll see a more fleshed-out single-player story mode this time around?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Aww I don't want there to be a riff between those 2.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

colour me intrigued

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
That's actually pretty awesome. Now I'm sad that I still haven't even touched all the free DLC. With Sploon2 right around the corner, it's probably too late as well.

Still hyped though, I'm glad they're expanding on the story/lore, a lot didn't seem all too interested in single player, but I loved it. Played through it twice. Once at launch and later again for my sister who couldn't be bothered. :p

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo of America have announced a pre-release Splatoon 2 tournament that will take place at E3;

I guess this'll be part of their live event this year, rather than another iteration of the Nintendo World Championships.

We don't know, yet, if this is anything to do with the Splatoon tournament that they're running, where the prize is a trip to E3, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if the contestants in this Splatoon 2 event were the winners from that one.

EDIT: Confirmed, the winners of the U.S. Inkling Open tournament will be the ones playing in the Splatoon 2 pre-release exhibition tournament at E3.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
So the fresh new IP is getting a sequel. I can more confidently say I support the Inklings coming in.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I think Woomy is one of the sounds the Inklings make when "taunting"
The female Inkling also makes the sound when she lands a squid jump. I don't know why they chose "woomy" to represent these sounds even though it doesn't sound like that word at all but I suppose it's as close as a word is going to get without being spelt like gibberish.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Reading the new title, makes me want to rant a bit.

Stage rotation being decreased to 2 hours is fine, but what would be better would be to allow for all stages to be played at all times. I'm fine if the stage is picked at random, but I'm not fine with the times I only have 2 hours to play, and I'm stick messing with 2 maps I'm not super fond of.

Overwatch randomly picks your maps too, but they never limit you to any one of 2 stages at a time. If you keep playing, you get to play that map eventually. In Splatoon, I've gone half the day waiting to play Blackbelly and never get the chance. It's really dumb.

If I'm being honest, I'd really prefer for them to do a Mario Kart thing where they let everyone choose a stage and it shuffles among the players. It's just a better system.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I like the element of weapon choice / strategy that the rotation inktroduces – how you have to gear up to suit the stages currently in play. Though I'd also like a Mario Kart 8-style system, where you can pick from one of two or three stages available at a time... as long as that comes with the ability to change weapons after seeing the stage selection for each match.

Either way, it's a step in the right direction that they've reduced the rotation time.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I like the element of weapon choice / strategy that the rotation inktroduces – how you have to gear up to suit the stages currently in play. Though I'd also like a Mario Kart 8-style system, where you can pick from one of two or three stages available at a time... as long as that comes with the ability to change weapons after seeing the stage selection for each match.

Either way, it's a step in the right direction that they've reduced the rotation time.
Rotation doesn't introduce it though, just having different stages allows for different strategies itself. So why limit it? Having a tight rotation doesn't make the game more strategic, it's only real use is that you don't suffer too much for picking one weapon/equiment without continuously leaving the queue.

If they just allowed us to change weapons throughout, like you, me, and many others want, there'd be no reason not to open up the stage list completely, but they had some flimsy reason for not doing it before, like seeing certain weapons being overrepresented or something.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
And that's going to happen at times anyway, so it's not a very good reason. :laugh:
Exactly, if weapons/equipment are overrepped, it's because they're either really fun to play as/with, or really overpowered to begin with.

Top Bottom