• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Some more info on the story from the twitter page.
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/530539193651707906

"Investigative Report from the Squid Research Lab. The protagonist, wearing the Hero Suit, travels through this underground world. The Octopus Army Corps, hoping to invade the Squid's world, built this underground facility. Is it just me that feels the Octopus' longing for the world above-ground from the blue sky projected onto those large monitors?"

Translation from Neogaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137707879&postcount=704
This is epic! I like the idea of there being an entire "artificial" world underneath the Inklings, with its inhabitants seeking to invade the overworld and take it for their own. It's a cliche storyline, but it fits perfectly. The Octopus Army Corps are so cute!
Also, looks like I wasn't too far from the bullseye, at least when it come to the Octopi's motives.
I'm obsessed with knowing who this old man is, maybe Splatoon could get two newcomers, inkling and old man guy of the sewer... Well he should at least be a trophy, I'm wanting Inklings in smash more and more now, but before I can support Inklings and other newcomers I want as DLC, I need to get :wolf: back first. So good luck they could easily add in Inkling to smash to promote Splatoon, I'll support you more when Wolf's playable. Inkling for DLC:idea:
I think I agree with some other people on this thread about the Old Man Inkling. He's probably a guide of sorts that gives you various tips and instruction, almost like a tutorial, and he might also upgrade your current weapons or give you brand new ones. Seeing as there's a collectible form if currency in the game that takes the form of red dots, he could also be a shop owner. He might be both. I mean, it's not that far out there. It's been done before, I believe.
She definitely is.

On closer inspection, she appears to be totally organic, and the goggles are mechanical additions. Also, I can't be the only one here who thinks this girl dresses like a stripper, can I? I mean, look at her!
Anywho, she's not any less awesome. I like the hair and goggles, in particular. Possibly my favorite addition to this game. She's like a dark, evil version of an Inkling.
Judging from her almost parallel design to the player's Inkling, I'm thinking she might be a special enemy who has the same abilities as the player, like access Ink Grenades, Ink Shields, and Super Weapons, as well as the ability to turn into an Octopus who functions identically to the Inking's Squid Form. Basically, the Octopus Army Corps Elite Soldier, one who functions as their version of you. The ultimate enemy, if you will.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Some more info on the story from the twitter page.
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/530539193651707906

"Investigative Report from the Squid Research Lab. The protagonist, wearing the Hero Suit, travels through this underground world. The Octopus Army Corps, hoping to invade the Squid's world, built this underground facility. Is it just me that feels the Octopus' longing for the world above-ground from the blue sky projected onto those large monitors?"

Translation from Neogaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137707879&postcount=704
Plot sounds pretty much what I was thinking about.
Also, @HeavyLobster , put me on that support list!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I have a theory.
This Inkling duplicate may be major story character. She could be the Player's Rival. Kind of like Prince Vorkken from The Wonderful 101 or Jeanne from Bayonetta. She would be functionally identical to Player in terms of how she plays. This Doppelgänger would have access to all the weapons you have and would also have an Octopus form that functions like your Squid form. You might encounter her multiple times throughout the storyline as enemies. Every time you meet you two would engage in a battle in a closed-off arena as she tries to take you down. I think it would be very similar to "Rival Character" concepts in other video games. I just built this solely off Splatoon's emphasis on combat. It seems logical that a Doppelgänger of you would be someone you engage in a Vs. Match-style battle. I would be ecstatic if this was the case! I love her design and it would be epic if she was a major story character!
She also needs a name until we find out her real one. I believe I've found a suitable one. "Emilia." It's the feminine form of "Aemilius" that means "Rival" and "To Emulate." I thinks it's very suitable when you take into account her apparent nature.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I have a theory.
This Inkling duplicate may be major story character. She could be the Player's Rival. Kind of like Prince Vorkken from The Wonderful 101 or Jeanne from Bayonetta. She would be functionally identical to Player in terms of how she plays. This Doppelgänger would have access to all the weapons you have and would also have an Octopus form that functions like your Squid form. You might encounter her multiple times throughout the storyline as enemies. Every time you meet you two would engage in a battle in a closed-off arena as she tries to take you down. I think it would be very similar to "Rival Character" concepts in other video games. I just built this solely off Splatoon's emphasis on combat. It seems logical that a Doppelgänger of you would be someone you engage in a Vs. Match-style battle. I would be ecstatic if this was the case! I love her design and it would be epic if she was a major story character!
She also needs a name until we find out her real one. I believe I've found a suitable one. "Emilia." It's the feminine form of "Aemilius" that means "Rival" and "To Emulate." I thinks it's very suitable when you take into account her apparent nature.
Do you just have like a series of computers for brains? Because this stuff comes out so quickly and effortlessly and it's just so good.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Plot twist: U-Throw is actually a Mewtwo, hence why he thinks about all this crazy stuff so quickly.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
*Squeeeeeeeee!!* I got my avatar updated to Emilia! I'm beginning to think I like her way more than I should, especially considering I know next to nothing about her at this point in time:laugh:.
But, um, anyway, all that aside, do you guys think it would be interesting if they incorporated that Ink Shield in the Single-Player trailer into her moveset? I mean, I could see it as an interesting part of the Inkling's moveset. It would act almost like a portable Shield. The way I imagined it, it would be the Inkling's Down B, and, when used, it would generate the Ink Shield seen in the trailer. So, the Ink Shield generated, the Inkling can now move freely, all the while protected by the Shield. It would only last a few seconds, and it would have a recharge time to prevent spamming. Of course, it would have a damage threshold, which I'm thinking would be 15% or 20%, and when that threshold is breached, the Inkling takes the full damage and knockback of the penetrating attack. Ink Shield would greatly improve the Inkling's approach and mobility, which is already pretty diverse, considering the Inkling would likely have the ability to splatter ink everywhere and move around in it, lowering their hitbox height and stuff. Perhaps the Inkling would be a largely mobility/approach based character. Like, that would be the Inkling's "Ridiculous Stat," and it would come at the cost of weaker-than-normal attacks. However, they'd have to be careful not to remove all of the Inkling's KO options; we don't need a Brawl Sonic repeat.
I think I'm starting to see why balancing a game like Smash is so difficult...

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Even an evil octopus alt! :awesome:

I already liked the squid girls a lot, but that octopus girl is really, REALLY cool.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Even an evil octopus alt! :awesome:

I already liked the squid girls a lot, but that octopus girl is really, REALLY cool.
Yes! Agreed! I'm extremely interested to see if she has any special role in Hero Mode.
Also, I love of your avatar! It's so cute!

Now, time for some evidence that Emilia may have a significant role in Hero Mode! Emilia, both of the times she appeared in the trailer, appeared right back-to-back with the Inkling. Not only that, but in her first appearance, she appeared at the climax of that section of the song, and in her second appearance, she was in the climax of that section, only being succeeded by the Hero Inkling (Obviously enough) and an Octopus (The game's main antagonist. It's reasonable enough). Plus, it's obvious Nintendo wants this game to be huge, so they'd want an iconic main antagonist, hence Emilia. And, before someone says that an iconic main antagonist would be a Final Boss, remember Ridley. He's the main antagonist, but he himself has never been the Final Boss. That, and there's nothing saying Emilia isn't the Final Boss. Finally, keep in mind that, between her two different appearances, she didn't change at all. Her ink cartridges were still filled with purple ink, she had no additional accessories, the gun type was the same, and her eye color remained consistent; the same can't be said for the Octopus Army Corps.
I know this is professional straw grasping at its finest, but I think I've wrapped my fingers around enough straws to support me for awhile:estatic:.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
The best bet the Inklings have for a playable future in Smash is a strong release.

If the game is successful, even by the standards of the Wii U, it'll probably get a follow-up in the future. And if that happens, they'll pretty much be leading the pack for Smash next.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
The best bet the Inklings have for a playable future in Smash is a strong release.

If the game is successful, even by the standards of the Wii U, it'll probably get a follow-up in the future. And if that happens, they'll pretty much be leading the pack for Smash next.
I wouldn't worry about Splatoon not getting a follow-up. Nintendo clearly wants to make this the Ultimate Shooter, and, so far, they've succeeded. They have Online Multiplayer and Local Multiplayer, multiple game modes, and an extremely fleshed out Campaign, despite the emphasis being Multiplayer. It's also kid-friendly and has excellent levels of innovation and creativity, while also maintaining a simplicity about it. I've yet to see where the game falls short of expectations by any stretch of the imagination. If things go exceptionally well, I could see Splatoon becoming a flagship franchise, among the likes of Mario, Legend Of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokémon, Yoshi, Kirby, Star Fox, and Metroid. It's a genre that Nintendo lacks in their vast pool of games, and Splatoon would be a welcome addition to the family. Maybe a couple years down the line, the Inklings will be Nintendo Icons and have launch title games on a regular basis. I know it's a big dream, but Nintendo clearly wants Splatoon to be huge, and it's a genre they have yet to add to their flagship franchises.

Last edited:

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't worry about Splatoon not getting a follow up if it does so-so or better, but if it bombs, something not uncommon of new IPs on a system with a small install base, then I could definitely see Nintendo not bothering to pursue future iterations. Nintendo does seem intent on giving the game a fair amount of recognition, but if it doesn't turn them a profit, it would be understandable from a business perspective to not invest in its continuation.

That said, I don't think it will bomb completely, but it's no triple-A series for the time being, so getting the word out about the game is pretty important.

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
Inkling is definitely gonna be in Smash one day (assuming it doesn't bomb as bad as The Wonderful 101) but as for DLC, that depends on how many DLC characters are going to be in the game. Mewtwo is already on the way and I assume Wolf is the next most likely to be DLC, but how many more characters? They're definitely unique, but is it enough to warrant a spot before other popular and relevant DLC options?

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
Inkling is definitely gonna be in Smash one day (assuming it doesn't bomb as bad as The Wonderful 101) but as for DLC, that depends on how many DLC characters are going to be in the game. Mewtwo is already on the way and I assume Wolf is the next most likely to be DLC, but how many more characters? They're definitely unique, but is it enough to warrant a spot before other popular and relevant DLC options?
The way I see it, the Inklings chances in Sm4sh all depend on wether or not Nintendo want to add them in to promote Splatoon so I don't really see other characters like Wolf as competition for them.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Splatoon is Smash Bros? *thinks on it with a glass of wine* hmmm....Heh, why not?

SPLATOON IS FOR THE WIN!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I think Emilia needs a backstory...
Squid Research Lab: Investigation Report -345-C. Filed: Classified
Cadet! By now, you've probably advanced through the Hero Corps ranks, and have spent countless hours trekking through the Octopus Army Corps's underground factory facility, fighting to prevent them from breaching our defenses and taking the over world for their own. We salute you!
However, the purpose of this Report is not to congratulate you. It is to inform you with possibly our greatest, darkest secret. This information is only given to Heroes of considerable rank, as it generally only applies to them, and you are to tell none of this to the Rookies, or anyone of subordinate rank.
Back at the very beginning of this war, when the Octopi first created their underground factory, and our own Squid Investigation Lab created the Hero Corps, we attempted a very different method in assembling a team of defenders to combat the Octopi. Using the most advanced technology at the time, we fused the sciences of Gene Splicing and Cloning, in an effort to create our own super soldier. Most of this Cross-Breed's DNA was Inkling, seeing as the Inklings, as a race, are far superior athletically compared to the Octopi. However, we filled in our DNA's weak points with the Octopi's, which resulted in this Cross-Breed attaining our physical prowess and the Octopi's far superior knowledge on mechanical devices and warfare technology. It was the ultimate being.
However, due to complications with mixing chromosomes that deal with the eye and vision, the Cross-Breed's vision was impaired. Her eyes looked perfectly normal, and developed exactly as planned, but she was extremely nearsighted, and her peripheral vision was extremely blurred. As you would imagine, this was an undesired side effect for a being created for the purpose of battlefield combat. Unfortunately, our scientists lacked the technology and ingenuity to fix this dire problem.
So, the Squid Research Lab assembled a small team of Inklings to invade the Octopi's factory, with the ultimate goal of attaining information relating to the science of extreme vision-enhancing tech. This operation was a success, and we got all the information we needed, plus extra information that would be helpful in completing the Cross-Breed.
Using all of our most valuable materials, we were able to create a mechanical eyepiece, resembling goggles, that changed the way light entered our Cross-Breed's eyes. This process corrected her eyesight, and also improved it far beyond what we could have hoped for. This eyepiece could be firmly attached to the face of Emilia, as our scientists endearingly called her, but could also be removed easily, in the event that this was necessary.
The development process, as should be expected, took a fair amount of time. During this period, our engineers worked on designing combat apparel and weaponry for Emilia, once she was to be released. Eventually, the engineers managed to develop a groundbreaking piece of I.D.T., and this was the weapon with which she was equipped. As for apparel, she was to wear minimal, form-fitting black clothing, so as to allow for maximum flexibility and minimal drag and target size. Of course, she was given combat boots to wear, which were designed to maximize traction and grip. In order to allow her to hold and fire her Ink Gun for extended periods of time, as well as to make hand-to-hand combat easier, we designed fingerless gloves for her to wear out on the field.
Finally, we designed metallic alloy plating to be worn over her upper leg, in order to protect an extremely vulnerable, sensitive nerve located there. This plating was designed from a flexible, light kind of metal, and was further tampered with by mixing in a tough, durable metal. This resulted in a suitable piece of armor to protect this nerve. The nerve is believed to have developed as a result of DNA tampering, in a similar vein to the reason the vision impairment occurred.
Soon, Emilia was fully developed and ready to be sent into combat. However, mere hours before she was due to be released from the Development Chamber, disaster struck.
The Octopus Army Corps, upon having discovered that we had stolen their technology, formulated a plan to retaliate and take back what was theirs. The stormed our Lab, and released Emilia from her Development Chamber, which she exited in a comatose state, as was expected by our scientists. However, the Octopi took advantage of this weakness and carried her away to their factory, along with all the expensive equipment we had created specifically for her. For several years, we had no idea of her fate.
Due to the unprecedented expensivness of Emilia, mostly due to the unexpected vision and nerve complications, and the cost of rebuilding after the Octopi raid, we lacked the resources to make another Cross-Breed, and the Squid Research Lab needed a new way to combat the Octopi. Seeing as the operation to steal info from the Octopus Army Corps was a success, they eventually decided to train and recruit the most physically fit, mentally capable Inklings into a group known as the Hero Corps, the very same group that you now serve. This team proved successful, and it grew in size as time went on. Emilia was long forgotten by all except the most involved scientists with her creation.
A few years later, the Hero Corps started reporting some of their higher-ranking members being mysteriously gunned down by a shadowy figure, who would appear, shoot, and then disappear into the shadows. She was presumably Inkling-like and bipedal, and obviously an expert marksman. Few expected it was Emilia, but when a photo was finally captured by one of our most respected generals, there was no doubt. Emilia, after being kidnapped, had been equipped with the clothing and weapons we had designed for her, and because her first memory was inside the Octopi factory, she had grown to believe that she was born there. We currently believe the Octopus Army Corps influenced her, and she now fights for them as though she were one of their own. You may have seen her before, and this is the very reason we are telling you this. She is extremely dangerous, and cannot be reasoned with. If you get the opportunity, do not hesitate to gun her down. Her only memories are of those with the Octopi, and, thus, there is hope to turn her in our favor. We only tell you because you are, most likely, now of the rank that she prefers to target. For whatever reason, perhaps because it is more of a challenge, she seems to take a pleasure in killing higher-ranking members of the Hero Corps. Her extreme prowess will maker her difficult to take down, but it also this physical prowess that is giving the Octopi an upper hand in combat, and she threatens to wipe out our Hero Corps. We hope you understand why she must be eliminated, and put our full hopes that you will follow through as told.
Good luck and Godspeed!

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I think Emilia needs a backstory...
Squid Research Lab: Investigation Report -345-C. Filed: Classified
Cadet! By now, you've probably advanced through the Hero Corps ranks, and have spent countless hours trekking through the Octopus Army Corps's underground factory facility, fighting to prevent them from breaching our defenses and taking the over world for their own. We salute you!
However, the purpose of this Report is not to congratulate you. It is to inform you with possibly our greatest, darkest secret. This information is only given to Heroes of considerable rank, as it generally only applies to them, and you are to tell none of this to the Rookies, or anyone of subordinate rank.
Back at the very beginning of this war, when the Octopi first created their underground factory, and our own Squid Investigation Lab created the Hero Corps, we attempted a very different method in assembling a team of defenders to combat the Octopi. Using the most advanced technology at the time, we fused the sciences of Gene Splicing and Cloning, in an effort to create our own super soldier. Most of this Cross-Breed's DNA was Inkling, seeing as the Inklings, as a race, are far superior athletically compared to the Octopi. However, we filled in our DNA's weak points with the Octopi's, which resulted in this Cross-Breed attaining our physical prowess and the Octopi's far superior knowledge on mechanical devices and warfare technology. It was the ultimate being.
However, due to complications with mixing chromosomes that deal with the eye and vision, the Cross-Breed's vision was impaired. Her eyes looked perfectly normal, and developed exactly as planned, but she was extremely nearsighted, and her peripheral vision was extremely blurred. As you would imagine, this was an undesired side effect for a being created for the purpose of battlefield combat. Unfortunately, our scientists lacked the technology and ingenuity to fix this dire problem.
So, the Squid Research Lab assembled a small team of Inklings to invade the Octopi's factory, with the ultimate goal of attaining information relating to the science of extreme vision-enhancing tech. This operation was a success, and we got all the information we needed, plus extra information that would be helpful in completing the Cross-Breed.
Using all of our most valuable materials, we were able to create a mechanical eyepiece, resembling goggles, that changed the way light entered our Cross-Breed's eyes. This process corrected her eyesight, and also improved it far beyond what we could have hoped for. This eyepiece could be firmly attached to the face of Emilia, as our scientists endearingly called her, but could also be removed easily, in the event that this was necessary.
The development process, as should be expected, took a fair amount of time. During this period, our engineers worked on designing combat apparel and weaponry for Emilia, once she was to be released. Eventually, the engineers managed to develop a groundbreaking piece of I.D.T., and this was the weapon with which she was equipped. As for apparel, she was to wear minimal, form-fitting black clothing, so as to allow for maximum flexibility and minimal drag and target size. Of course, she was given combat boots to wear, which were designed to maximize traction and grip. In order to allow her to hold and fire her Ink Gun for extended periods of time, as well as to make hand-to-hand combat easier, we designed fingerless gloves for her to wear out on the field.
Finally, we designed metallic alloy plating to be worn over her upper leg, in order to protect an extremely vulnerable, sensitive nerve located there. This plating was designed from a flexible, light kind of metal, and was further tampered with by mixing in a tough, durable metal. This resulted in a suitable piece of armor to protect this nerve. The nerve is believed to have developed as a result of DNA tampering, in a similar vein to the reason the vision impairment occurred.
Soon, Emilia was fully developed and ready to be sent into combat. However, mere hours before she was due to be released from the Development Chamber, disaster struck.
The Octopus Army Corps, upon having discovered that we had stolen their technology, formulated a plan to retaliate and take back what was theirs. The stormed our Lab, and released Emilia from her Development Chamber, which she exited in a comatose state, as was expected by our scientists. However, the Octopi took advantage of this weakness and carried her away to their factory, along with all the expensive equipment we had created specifically for her. For several years, we had no idea of her fate.
Due to the unprecedented expensivness of Emilia, mostly due to the unexpected vision and nerve complications, and the cost of rebuilding after the Octopi raid, we lacked the resources to make another Cross-Breed, and the Squid Research Lab needed a new way to combat the Octopi. Seeing as the operation to steal info from the Octopus Army Corps was a success, they eventually decided to train and recruit the most physically fit, mentally capable Inklings into a group known as the Hero Corps, the very same group that you now serve. This team proved successful, and it grew in size as time went on. Emilia was long forgotten by all except the most involved scientists with her creation.
A few years later, the Hero Corps started reporting some of their higher-ranking members being mysteriously gunned down by a shadowy figure, who would appear, shoot, and then disappear into the shadows. She was presumably Inkling-like and bipedal, and obviously an expert marksman. Few expected it was Emilia, but when a photo was finally captured by one of our most respected generals, there was no doubt. Emilia, after being kidnapped, had been equipped with the clothing and weapons we had designed for her, and because her first memory was inside the Octopi factory, she had grown to believe that she was born there. We currently believe the Octopus Army Corps influenced her, and she now fights for them as though she were one of their own. You may have seen her before, and this is the very reason we are telling you this. She is extremely dangerous, and cannot be reasoned with. If you get the opportunity, do not hesitate to gun her down. Her only memories are of those with the Octopi, and, thus, there is hope to turn her in our favor. We only tell you because you are, most likely, now of the rank that she prefers to target. For whatever reason, perhaps because it is more of a challenge, she seems to take a pleasure in killing higher-ranking members of the Hero Corps. Her extreme prowess will maker her difficult to take down, but it also this physical prowess that is giving the Octopi an upper hand in combat, and she threatens to wipe out our Hero Corps. We hope you understand why she must be eliminated, and put our full hopes that you will follow through as told.
Good luck and Godspeed!
As usual, great idea U-throw! :)
Personally, I think Emilia might just be a smarter, higher ranked Octopi.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I don't think these images have been posted before, so I'll bring them up. None of the others have new information, so I'll only post one.

We've already seen the Ink Gun in the middle, and I'm fairly certain that one of those long, narrow Super Weapon being held by the kid in the Christmas hat on the far right is the Sniper Rifle, but the other two on the left are brand new.
I'm thinking the other long, narrow Super Weapon that kind of looks like a toothpaste tube will shoot a continuous stream of ink, compared to individual shots, and the Paint Brush might be like the Pain Roller. Like, the Paint Roller constantly paints the ground, and it apparently has a powerful Melee attack. I'm thinking the Paint Brush will be carried above ground, but it will specialize in covering large areas with paint, and you can use it by hitting the Trigger button. Maybe the Paint Brush sends of small shock waves after swiping, kind of like the Tornado Gun. Or maybe it'll specialize in taking out enemies and causing them to explode in more paint than normal. I don't really know what either could do, I just know they look awesome! What do you guys think they'll do?
For anyone who hasn't seen all the photos: http://nintendoeverything.com/splatoon-screenshots-2/
Also, Sad Face because Emilia isn't in any of the photos:(...

Last edited:

Reila

Not an official confirmation, but you can see dark-skinned (I kind of dislike this term) Inklings in the latest trailer. Which is great.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Not an official confirmation, but you can see dark-skinned (I kind of dislike this term) Inklings in the latest trailer. Which is great.
I very much will use the what I will now call the African Inkling me being African American myself and something that bothers me a lot my people don't get enough representation in anime, mangas or video games but that is a whole other topic. I may just not see it.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I very much will use the what I will now call the African Inkling me being African American myself and something that bothers me a lot my people don't get enough representation in anime, mangas or video games but that is a whole other topic. I may just not see it.
Yeah, it's really nice they're representing different races in Splatoon. Plus, it's main character is a girl. I'm a white male, so I normally see people like me far too much in all sorts of media, and it's great to see so much diversity in Splatoon.

Ironically, I was browsing reddit once, and I read this one post by a person who said their friend was upset that multiple races were certain video games, because it was "racist." I'm fairly certain it's more racist to not include multiple races. But, it's reddit, so I probably shouldn't be surprised:p.

Last edited:

Reila

I am not African American (I am not American at all tbh... well, not North American, at least xD), but as you, I am not white, so I am glad we can customize the Inkling, including their skin tone. I was so happy when they added this feature to Pokémon (and then removed it in the newest games, ugh).

Kind of off topic, but since this game is being developed by some of the people who developed the Animal Crossing games (that is what I read, I am not sure if it proceeds), I wonder if they will include a deeper character customization in the next AC (e.g. allow us to change the Villager's skin, etc)?

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I am not African American (I am not American at all tbh... well, not North American, at least xD), but as you, I am not white, so I am glad we can customize the Inkling, including their skin tone. I was so happy when they added this feature to Pokémon (and then removed it in the newest games, ugh).

Kind of off topic, but since this game is being developed by some of the people who developed the Animal Crossing games (that is what I read, I am not sure if it proceeds), I wonder if they will include a deeper character customization in the next AC (e.g. allow us to change the Villager's skin, etc)?
I hope so. In a perfect world, every video game with a customizable character would allow the player to change their character's race. We seem to be moving toward that goal somewhat, and I'd like to see that become a reality.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
Yep, while I admit the lack of skin colour options didn't bother me in the demo, I am all for more customisable options for the Inklings and it's nice to see Nintendo being inclusive of different races.

mark welford

Smash Ace
that is why when miis were revealed I had a little celebration in my mind while everyone else was trashing them because I could represent my skin color and now the black inkling double bonus.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Been working on an Inkling moveset. Here's what I got so far:

Neutral A: Gun swing, gun swing, ink burst. (Like Mii Gunner's Neutral A)
Dash A: Paint Roller
Side A: Gun lunge
Up A: Gun upward swing
Down A: Sweep kick
Side Smash: Ink blast (Like Mario's Side Smash)
Up Smash: Upward triple ink burst (Like Mii Gunner's and Samus' Up Smash)
Down Smash: Downward double ink burst (Like Mii Gunner's Down Smash)
Neutral Air: -
Up Air: Upward rapid ink shots (Like Mii Gunner's Up Air)
Side Air: -
Back Air: -
Down Air: Downward ink shot (Like Megaman's Down Air)
Neutral B: Ink shot (Like Fox's Neutral B, except makes fighters flinch)
Side B: -
Up B: Squid Super Jump (Goes high distance)
Down B: Squid travel (More details later)
Forward Throw: Shoots the fighter forward.
Back Throw: Shoots the fighter backward.
Up Throw: Throws fighter a short distance up, then shoots them up higher.
Down Throw: Rapid shots downward then a finishing shot.
Final Smash: Ink Tornado (More details later)

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Should Inkling be similar to Megaman (projectile-based) in terms of playstyle?
I'd say more akin to the Mii Gunner, although they are pretty similar to Megaman in some ways.
The gunner have a moveset that is more like a machine gun, instead of Megaman charge shot.

Edit: In fact, a mix would be the best option. I was forgetting Megaman's neutral A.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Should Inkling be similar to Megaman (projectile-based) in terms of playstyle?
I'm probably gonna get a lot of flaming for this, but I honestly think the Inkling should use all physical attacks, and leave projectiles to the Special Moves. I've never been an advocate of projectiles as A-Attacks. It just seemed strange and incoherent. I mean, a few characters with Projectile A's is fine by me, but Smash 4 seems to have a lot more moves that fall into that category. Do I think this is how the Inkling will play? No. But, if I could choose how she played, I would make all of her moves physical, and make her Specials deal with projectiles.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm probably gonna get a lot of flaming for this, but I honestly think the Inkling should use all physical attacks, and leave projectiles to the Special Moves. I've never been an advocate of projectiles as A-Attacks. It just seemed strange and incoherent. I mean, a few characters with Projectile A's is fine by me, but Smash 4 seems to have a lot more moves that fall into that category. Do I think this is how the Inkling will play? No. But, if I could choose how she played, I would make all of her moves physical, and make her Specials deal with projectiles.
Mii Gunners have various Melee attacks (although some are short range shots, like F-tilt and D-air).

At least, the Dash attack seems obvious to me: the paint roller!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Mii Gunners have various Melee attacks (although some are short range shots, like F-tilt and D-air).

At least, the Dash attack seems obvious to me: the paint roller!
Of course! The Paint Roller was a given. I think it'd be interesting to incorporate some of the Super Weapons into her A-Attacks. It would make her more interesting and fun to play as, in my opinion. Plus, we've got a lot of Super Weapons to work with, so I think it would be fun to see how Nintendo incorporates them into her moveset.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
A little random but... What do you think a Splatoon stage should be like? I could see one based off one of the Hero Mode levels.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Of course! The Paint Roller was a given. I think it'd be interesting to incorporate some of the Super Weapons into her A-Attacks. It would make her more interesting and fun to play as, in my opinion. Plus, we've got a lot of Super Weapons to work with, so I think it would be fun to see how Nintendo incorporates them into her moveset.
What are the weapons again? I remember a Bazooka and a sniper, but I'm not sure about this one. There's also a kind of atomic bomb or an air strike, right? Obvious final Smash is obvious.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
What are the weapons again? I remember a Bazooka and a sniper, but I'm not sure about this one. There's also a kind of atomic bomb or an air strike, right? Obvious final Smash is obvious.
Just from my memory:
-Inknado Bazooka
-Paint Roller
-Paint Brush
-Sniper Rifle
-Unidentified Sniper Rifle-esque Weapon
-Atomic Ink Bomb
There may be more that I'm forgetting, but I think this is the complete list, for now, at least.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Just from my memory:
-Inknado Bazooka
-Paint Roller
-Paint Brush
-Sniper Rifle
-Unidentified Sniper Rifle-esque Weapon
-Atomic Ink Bomb
There may be more that I'm forgetting, but I think this is the complete list, for now, at least.
I rewatched both trailers, and I don't see the paint brush (probably missed it in these action-packed trailer), but there's also an Ink grenade!

Top Bottom