• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Indie Pogo: An 16-bit Refresher for the Smash Community

Independent developers, or indies, have seen a rise in the last decade. Thanks to games such as Super Meat Boy, Shovel Knight and the like, retro-inspired titles have been appearing at an increasing rate on app stores and consoles worldwide.

Being a Super Smash Bros. enthusiast, have you ever imagined the characters of your favorite indie titles duking it out in one title? A Florida-based team by the name of Lowe Bros. Studios, aims to do just that with Indie Pogo.

Indie Pogo is a unique, 8-bit inspired fighting crossover game featuring characters from other indie games. The game allows you to join up with friends in 4-player local multiplayer brawl session or log-in online for battles with different challengers from around the globe to test your skills.

There have been several indie collaborations in the past, but the Lowe Bros. have created a collaboration of approximately 40 studios from 10 countries in Indie Pogo! Here are a few indie games that will be represented in the title.

My Experience

My experience playing this game was two weeks ago at Smash the Record 2016 in Orlando, Florida. As I was walking into the venue, there at the entrance was a cast of colorful characters jumping around and causing mayhem. I approached the Lowe Bros. booth, asking if I could play their game and try it out; they gladly sat me down and let me play a session of it, all the while walking me through its intricacies.

A sample of the gameplay, provided by the developers themselves.​

From the get go, one can feel the Smash Bros. influence. Each character has their own special move set that they can use against each other, with strengths and weaknesses of their own to boot. What sets this game apart from other Smash-likes however, is that all the characters bounce, ricochet and clash while the battle rages on.

Each time we would reset a game, I felt the need to figure out how to optimize my character's toolkit a bit more to expand combos and inflict as much damage as I can. After playing the game, I reminisced my first interactions with Smash and how I eagerly wanted to discover the technical mechanics towards the game to improve my skills.

An info-graphic showing just how simple the game controls are, not unlike Kirby Air Ride in the past.​

Developer Interview

After being impressed with playing Indie Pogo, I asked head developer Trevor Lowe for an interview. I spoke with him to gather more information about the game and what the future has for it.

Trevor Lowe hopes to have Indie Pogo launch on Steam in early 2017 with plans to expand to both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 platforms in the future. If you want know more about both the Lowe Bros. and their game, one can visit the team's website and Twitter.

Stay tuned to Smashboards for all Indie Pogo news.

Last edited:
Josh Olalde

Comments

What's the game below Pix Cat? Penelope something? It's a racing game too, looks interesting.
Interesting how characters bounce around, kinda like streetsmash or whatever it's called, the streetpass minigame that is on smash 3ds.

Wow that looks amazing!
I hope they add in shovel knight, but meh the main character from slayin', super dangerous dungeons, and VVVVVV will be playable!

This makes apparent the unavoidable difference between Official Games and Indie Games.

Top Bottom