• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Indiana Brawl Tourney - April 19th

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
glad to have you connor!

i'll be posting my contact information in a few days, so if you need to call my cell phone and get in touch with me while you're driving, you can.

they just started construction on the intersection you would normally use to get to the venue, so I'll have to give you all alternate directions to follow once you get to warsaw. I'll post those this week. Keep an eye out on this thread for updates.

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
Ok, if you could post like a link to mapquest directions or something? That would help alot of people I think...

thanks

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
all they "maybes" in this thread, can you confirm if you are coming?

tink
theblueblade
that1guy
daytimeninja (and a double partner?)
bloodhawk (and a double partner?)
Cfalc

it'd be sweet to be sure you were going to be there. let me know ASAP :)

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
crap i made a post about directions that explained how to get around the stupid construction, but it didn't post... grrr

OS and Kel, i checked from where you are coming from, and it mapquest is trying to send you through the closed road, so i'll give you the modified version.

follow mapquest from cincinatti until you get to warsaw. When mapquest tells you to turn left on 250E, go past that and through 2 more lights. When you see Ruby tuesday and golden corral and bob evans on your right, and applebees on your left, you need to turn left onto center street right there. im' not sure there's an obvious street sign, but you should see those restaurants.

then go through one light and turn left onto Argonne road, which is kind of at a double set of traffic lights. you will probably see signs pointing you that way for Grace College and Winona Lake.

take argonne road down teh hill, under the train bridge, and turn left at the first light you come to. you will see Winona Lake in front of you, and some bushes that spell winona.

Go to the first stop sign and turn left. You will be at Grace College at that point, and on wooster road. Go past the college and past the trailer park on your right. The venue is right past the trailer park on your right. you will see a black sign that says New Horizon on it. I'd put balloons out or something, but that's kinda fruity, and i'm a man...

anyways, the big building in the middle of the property is where we're doing the tournament.

my cell number is 574.253.3813. Just tell me who you are and that you're coming for the tournament, and i'll point you in the right direction if you are lost anywhere near warsaw.

jubelio

Smash Rookie
I will probably be attending with a friend. I cant really confirm until the day of, sorry. :ohwell:

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
At this point i have 13 confirmed about 16 more probables. I'm still waiting to hear back from a group of 5 locals that are about 80% sure for singles, but probably not coming for doubles.

Flyers are out, so I'm expecting a handful of walk-ins.

IkeKillsAll

Smash Cadet
I need a little bit more info. What time do we need to be there, and what are the cash prizes gonna be. It's like 2 hours away from my house, so i need 2 know this stuff. Also, my bro's gonna be coming 2 and he's gonna be sonic.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you are playing in doubles, you should show up by 11am to get registered and setup. If you are only playing in singles, you can show up at about 1:30 or so and register then. The doors open at 10am, so i suggest showing up as early as possible to make registration go smoother and help keep us on schedule. Plus, you can get in a bunch of friendlies, which is always fun.

right now, the only cost we've incurred is $10 for flyers, and that's the only cost we're going to recoup from the prize pool, so the payouts will be the total of the entry fees, which is looking like it'll be somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 for doubles and maybe $300 for singles, minus $10.

Projected payouts based on those numbers are $180 for first, $90 for second, and $30 for third in singles. Doubles payouts will probably be only the top 2 teams, since we will have far less teams playing. That means about $140 for first in teams and $60 for second in teams.

If the same two people win doubles and first and second in teams, they are going to take home $470.

not a bad pot for one day of playing smash.

on a side note, our Gamestop in Warsaw is going to be partnering with us after this event to help us put on more events. If this event represents that we can get a good crowd to come in, they are going to chip in big prizes to keep the scene going.

Kel

Smash Master
crap i made a post about directions that explained how to get around the stupid construction, but it didn't post... grrr

OS and Kel, i checked from where you are coming from, and it mapquest is trying to send you through the closed road, so i'll give you the modified version.

follow mapquest from cincinatti until you get to warsaw. When mapquest tells you to turn left on 250E, go past that and through 2 more lights. When you see Ruby tuesday and golden corral and bob evans on your right, and applebees on your left, you need to turn left onto center street right there. im' not sure there's an obvious street sign, but you should see those restaurants.

then go through one light and turn left onto Argonne road, which is kind of at a double set of traffic lights. you will probably see signs pointing you that way for Grace College and Winona Lake.

take argonne road down teh hill, under the train bridge, and turn left at the first light you come to. you will see Winona Lake in front of you, and some bushes that spell winona.

Go to the first stop sign and turn left. You will be at Grace College at that point, and on wooster road. Go past the college and past the trailer park on your right. The venue is right past the trailer park on your right. you will see a black sign that says New Horizon on it. I'd put balloons out or something, but that's kinda fruity, and i'm a man...

anyways, the big building in the middle of the property is where we're doing the tournament.

my cell number is 574.253.3813. Just tell me who you are and that you're coming for the tournament, and i'll point you in the right direction if you are lost anywhere near warsaw.
You are awesome for letting us know this. You're already a great host in my opinion. I've been screwed out of directions many-a-times in my day.

thanks!

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
You are awesome for letting us know this. You're already a great host in my opinion. I've been screwed out of directions many-a-times in my day.

thanks!
if i didn't post all this ahead of time, you would ALL be calling me at 10am on saturday morning and i'd have to explain it all 10 times. construction is R-tarded...

i got Tio running, so brackets will be easy. I'm going to try to hook my laptop up to the projector so the full bracket will always be up on the big screen.

I'm trying to get the pools feeding into brackets idea working on tio. I think i'll figure it out, but if anyone has done this a few times before and can tell me the easiest way to do it, I'd be much obliged!

i'm pumped about what this will turn into. Gamestop is going to be sponsoring our future tournaments this summer. The one after this will be at the end of May. I'll give you information on saturday about the next tourney. We'll be doing Rainbow 6 vegas 2 tournaments this summer, mario kart wii if it ends up being competitive, and maybe Gran Turismo 5 as well. I'm looking at possibly running tournaments here ever 2-3 weekends in one game or another, but smash will always be our biggest priority.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
i have a small crowd over on allisbrawl.com that are probably coming. looks like 6-8 from that group.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
two questions real quick becuase I need to get off the PC soon as it is not mine:

1. What time do you think this will end? I have to drive a long way to get there, and it's gonna be a ***** to drive back. I want to prepare!

2. Is there any place we could possibly stay and crash for a few hours before driving back, per chance?

Tink

Smash Hero
i should be coming. atleast plan to atm. me and big c i think. and ill prolly have a setup i think.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
two questions real quick becuase I need to get off the PC soon as it is not mine:

1. What time do you think this will end? I have to drive a long way to get there, and it's gonna be a ***** to drive back. I want to prepare!

2. Is there any place we could possibly stay and crash for a few hours before driving back, per chance?
if I didn't have to work, i'd offer you guys my house. as it is, i'm stuck leaving after the tournament to go back to work, and then i have to work again first thing sunday morning.

You probably won't have too much trouble finding a place. I'll check with the guys from warsaw and see if we can figure something out.

i'm expecting to be done by 8pm or so. I wouldn't be surprised if we ran over, but i also wouldn't be surprised to be done by 7. we'll have to see how it goes.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
if I didn't have to work, i'd offer you guys my house. as it is, i'm stuck leaving after the tournament to go back to work, and then i have to work again first thing sunday morning.

You probably won't have too much trouble finding a place. I'll check with the guys from warsaw and see if we can figure something out.

i'm expecting to be done by 8pm or so. I wouldn't be surprised if we ran over, but i also wouldn't be surprised to be done by 7. we'll have to see how it goes.
wow, 8? Really? That'd be a helluva fast tournament!

If it gets done by 10 I'd be good... but I've got 4 hours + to drive and I haAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE drivin. Just ask Kel. He hates it when I drive too. I scare 'em. :(

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
haha

yeah i'll admit I haven't hosted a tourney like this before, so perhaps i'm wildly off in my estimations of how long things will take. It all depends on how many TV's and wiis people can bring. I've got 3-4 with everything unlocked and ready, but I really need people to bring what they can. if you can't bring a TV, please bring your wii at least, as I can always score a few TV's locally if I have to last minute.

numbers continue to climb rapidly at this point. We've got 23 confirmed, with 18 more probables. i'm expecting a few people to show up randomly from our Gamestop to play as well, so there's a chance we'll be pushing 40, but i think 30 is more realistic at this point.

From pool play we will be seeding people into a 32 man bracket. If there are more than 32 people showing up, we will eliminate however many we need to from pool play to end up with 32 in the bracket.

in doubles, we probably won't have a TON of teams, so i'm not sure how to best structure it. I'm hoping for 10 teams total in doubles, as I know a few people are only coming for singles. With ten teams, we could do 2 pools of 5 teams, and then seed into an 8 man bracket. does that make sense? or am i ******** about doubles? i've never played doubles in a tourney before, so i'm not sure what people are expecting.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
haha

yeah i'll admit I haven't hosted a tourney like this before, so perhaps i'm wildly off in my estimations of how long things will take. It all depends on how many TV's and wiis people can bring. I've got 3-4 with everything unlocked and ready, but I really need people to bring what they can. if you can't bring a TV, please bring your wii at least, as I can always score a few TV's locally if I have to last minute.

numbers continue to climb rapidly at this point. We've got 23 confirmed, with 18 more probables. i'm expecting a few people to show up randomly from our Gamestop to play as well, so there's a chance we'll be pushing 40, but i think 30 is more realistic at this point.

From pool play we will be seeding people into a 32 man bracket. If there are more than 32 people showing up, we will eliminate however many we need to from pool play to end up with 32 in the bracket.

in doubles, we probably won't have a TON of teams, so i'm not sure how to best structure it. I'm hoping for 10 teams total in doubles, as I know a few people are only coming for singles. With ten teams, we could do 2 pools of 5 teams, and then seed into an 8 man bracket. does that make sense? or am i ******** about doubles? i've never played doubles in a tourney before, so i'm not sure what people are expecting.
I can help you run the tournament, I have experience with that kind of stuff.

The most important thing is to separate by region though. I don't want to drive 4 1/2 hours to play my friend that I'm driving with in the 2nd round. :)

For doubles, if you have 10 teams, it might not be a bad idea to just jump straight into bracket play unless you have plenty of time for it. If you were going to do pools, I'd suggest two pools of 5 with the top 4 moving on and then doing a 4 team bracket or a pool of 4.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I appreciate any help I can get from an experienced member of the smash scene.

I'm working on the Tio tournament software right now. I've run a few sample pools using the group we have to see how it would seed those players into the brackets. I'm having some trouble using the automated options so I might have to manually adjust the brackets once it gives me it's first shot.

I'll make every effort to keep partners/crewmates seperate for as long as I can. We've got one group coming with 4 people from out of town, so there's always the chance that people will run into a friend at some point in the bracket, but hopefully that won't happen until the 4th round of the winner's bracket or something that far along. It is conceivable that the bracket will end up putting friends together in the loser's bracket earlier than round 4. In that case, I'm not sure it's wise to adjust the brackets once we have the first round played. I wouldn't want to create an unfair situation in the eyes of a player who is competing for cash, and most of the adjustments that I might make after brackets have started could very easily do that.

In our May tournament, we will probably seed people initially based on their performance in this tournament. That will make it a bit easier to ensure balanced pools, which is not something I can hope for with terrible accuracy at this point.

We'll do whatever we can to make it fair and fun, and get better at is as we go, I'm sure. I appreciate in advance everyone's willingness to have good attitudes about any confusion that might arise, and I'm looking forward to having a good time with you all.

If anyone has not confirmed in this thread already that they will be there, but plan for sure on attending, please post now and let us know. The better prepared I can be, the smoother the day will go.

In particular, I need to know who can bring a wii and/or TV. We're setting up tables and chairs late tonight, and it'd be helpful to know what I'll have available.

/wall of text crits you for 8391349 damage./

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I appreciate any help I can get from an experienced member of the smash scene.

I'm working on the Tio tournament software right now. I've run a few sample pools using the group we have to see how it would seed those players into the brackets. I'm having some trouble using the automated options so I might have to manually adjust the brackets once it gives me it's first shot.

I'll make every effort to keep partners/crewmates seperate for as long as I can. We've got one group coming with 4 people from out of town, so there's always the chance that people will run into a friend at some point in the bracket, but hopefully that won't happen until the 4th round of the winner's bracket or something that far along. It is conceivable that the bracket will end up putting friends together in the loser's bracket earlier than round 4. In that case, I'm not sure it's wise to adjust the brackets once we have the first round played. I wouldn't want to create an unfair situation in the eyes of a player who is competing for cash, and most of the adjustments that I might make after brackets have started could very easily do that.

In our May tournament, we will probably seed people initially based on their performance in this tournament. That will make it a bit easier to ensure balanced pools, which is not something I can hope for with terrible accuracy at this point.

We'll do whatever we can to make it fair and fun, and get better at is as we go, I'm sure. I appreciate in advance everyone's willingness to have good attitudes about any confusion that might arise, and I'm looking forward to having a good time with you all.

If anyone has not confirmed in this thread already that they will be there, but plan for sure on attending, please post now and let us know. The better prepared I can be, the smoother the day will go.

In particular, I need to know who can bring a wii and/or TV. We're setting up tables and chairs late tonight, and it'd be helpful to know what I'll have available.

/wall of text crits you for 8391349 damage./
Definitely don't change brackets after first round.

I might be able to bring a Wii/TV.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'll most likely be there.

Also I need a teammate.
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Joshu!

I would team, but I am teaming with Kel. :(

Joshu is good! Someone team with him! He has the funniest Wario in the world!

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I could probably team with you joshu. I was planning on sitting out of teams, but i'd rather play.

Tink

Smash Hero
i should be able to bring a Wii, and maybe a TV. depends on if it will fit in mendozas car <_<.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Awesome venue, great host, good people.

Unfortunately, a lot of people were no shows >:(

Less johns next time, people!

Cdilling

Smash Rookie
I had a great time! Well....except I got pwned and such...Thanks for everyone that came out!!!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I MAY have left a grey Nike hoodie there... but I am unsure. I can't think of where it is now, and I believe I have lost it :(

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I didn't find a hoodie anywhere, although there was a black shoulder bag with a skull on it and a graphic that said "deathtone" and the shonen jump logo on it. I'll hang on to it and give it to whoever owns it at the next event we're both at. Or if you send me a few bucks for postage, I could always put it in the mail.

Top Bottom