• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In PM, How is Peach Different From Melee?

rje457

Smash Cadet
I also feel that Peach's dair is better because it has Brawl animation. (It was Peach's best move in Brawl) I have used Peach's dair so much more in P.M. then I have in Melee, favorite P.M. combo -> dair to nair

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
I'd say peach has a weird combination of melee and brawl peach. She has melee turnips,down smash and grabs. But i think she has brawl smash S and U smashes, float, and if she up B's, she still can't grab ledge if facing away. with peach, it's really just trying to remember what is what and when to use it

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Sincerely ?

As a Peach main in Melee, I feel little to no difference in playing her (of course I need some friendlies to adapt to the game speed or the timing on FC Nairs or OoS stuff) beside her wavedash being super weird in P:M.

She had some buffs, like the 15% higher ceiling (indirect buff) on every stage, the up-tilt, the dair priority (yo, for realz, this is the biggest buff) and I feel she is faster in P:M, but I'm not sure.

The problem is, even though she got buffed, in the P:M universe she can't "Peach" some characters. A lot of Brawl revamp characters have insane priority on their aerials and she is combo food for the majority of the Brawl cast.

Nevertheless, she is a great option for a secondary and she has some interesting match-ups in the game.

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps this is why Ness is slowly taking over as my main
I feel Ness is not a great choice for a main either. They didn't solve all the problems he had in Melee (fast characters, characters with cross ups and priority/swords), they just made him in a way where he polarizes most of his match-ups (you don't need necessarily to outplay a D3 or Charizard lewl).

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
I feel Ness is not a great choice for a main either. They didn't solve all the problems he had in Melee (fast characters, characters with cross ups and priority/swords), they just made him in a way where he polarizes most of his match-ups (you don't need necessarily to outplay a D3 or Charizard lewl).
Faugh! You would have me learn Fox.

Feh!

But srsly you are probably right.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
A lot of characters play the rock-paper-scissors game now, it's just a question of how well. That sort of design is probably an end-goal to a certain extent, as people are less prone to ***** about top tiers if they have a half dozen soft counters outside the top tier and another half dozen or so options that go even.

On the other hand, it gets really frustrating when you work ten times harder than your opponent and they still have the upper hand just because their character is explicitly designed to do terrible things to yours.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Sincerely ?

As a Peach main in Melee, I feel little to no difference in playing her (of course I need some friendlies to adapt to the game speed or the timing on FC Nairs or OoS stuff) beside her wavedash being super weird in P:M.

She had some buffs, like the 15% higher ceiling (indirect buff) on every stage, the up-tilt, the dair priority (yo, for realz, this is the biggest buff) and I feel she is faster in P:M, but I'm not sure.

The problem is, even though she got buffed, in the P:M universe she can't "Peach" some characters. A lot of Brawl revamp characters have insane priority on their aerials and she is combo food for the majority of the Brawl cast.

Nevertheless, she is a great option for a secondary and she has some interesting match-ups in the game.
whats this 15% higher ceiling thing youre talking about? i dont think thats a thing.. they ported all that information directly from melee and have spent thousands of posts telling people thats the case. 15% is a lot. im very certain thats not quite right.

the biggest things i see that are different are the good use for her fsmash, and her DACUS. DACUS literally gives her a reliable, early killing move onstage out of dthrow now for anyone that isnt a FFer. side b is great now as a hard read move. so clutch sometimes.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
AGT and to an extent utilt are worth mentioning too.

Ceilings were raised to bring them in line with Melee values iirc, so that's not actually a buff.

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
But to useful discussion;

If I am to not main Peach/Ness, who is a good main?

Not that I will just up and change; but I want to know what is who is what I am not sure I know how to word what and why I am asking.

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
But to useful discussion;

If I am to not main Peach/Ness, who is a good main?

Not that I will just up and change; but I want to know what is who is what I am not sure I know how to word what and why I am asking.
DISCLAIMER : I hate P:M 3.0, I think tournament brackets for characters out the Top Tiers are complete RPS and I think the game is extremely unbalanced.

In the actual meta, or you pick a top tier that has consistency in all the possible match-ups knowing that in the next patch he will get nerfed and all your hard work learning the specific ATs will get **** on, or you try to co-main 2~3 high/mid tier characters that cover each other's weaknesses.

Overall it's still better to just main a top tier and wait for the next patch, because co-maining it's too dependant on your first game and also covering all stages in the third game.

Main whoever you have fun with. I play Peach because I think it's fun, but as soon as I find a matchup that I don't like (Ivysaur comes to mind), I just switch to my casual level g&w and go to losers bracket, because the matchup is not fun.

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
DISCLAIMER : I hate P:M 3.0, I think tournament brackets for characters out the Top Tiers are complete RPS and I think the game is extremely unbalanced.

In the actual meta, or you pick a top tier that has consistency in all the possible match-ups knowing that in the next patch he will get nerfed and all your hard work learning the specific ATs will get **** on, or you try to co-main 2~3 high/mid tier characters that cover each other's weaknesses.

Overall it's still better to just main a top tier and wait for the next patch, because co-maining it's too dependant on your first game and also covering all stages in the third game.

Main whoever you have fun with. I play Peach because I think it's fun, but as soon as I find a matchup that I don't like (Ivysaur comes to mind), I just switch to my casual level g&w and go to losers bracket, because the matchup is not fun.
Then the advice is to do what I will XD

But yes I am terrible with Link/Mewtwo/dem ppl; I shall simply remain as I am.

Jmanthedragonguy

Smash Rookie
Hey Peach players, I got a question of Peach transferring over from melee to pm. In melee you could hold your float by holding down once your float starts. Out of this I can do an aerial and maintain my float. I like this for timing fairs, and hovering with dairs.
However in PM if I try the same methods of floating aerials, Peach's float seems to automatically cancel and I fall to the ground. I think it still counts as a float cancel, but it is still annoying and I don't know why that changed it. It forces me to have to use x/y to maintain my float, which makes c sticking more difficult.

Anyone else have similar troubles?

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Sincerely ?

Explain the phrase "Peach" some characters.
What in Melee could she do that made her, well, her in melee yet not in P:M?

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
One thing I did notice was that unlike melee, when you ZDrop turnips - they keep their property. IE: dot/stitch hurt like hell and ZDropping a stitch onto someone's shield, followed immediately by an FCed DAir is awesome :>

Also, with my limited experience playing around with it the beam sword is HUGE.

Last edited:

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
One thing I did notice was that unlike melee, when you ZDrop turnips - they keep their property. IE: dot/stitch hurt like hell and ZDropping a stitch onto someone's shield, followed immediately by an FCed DAir is awesome :>

Also, with my limited experience playing around with it the beam sword is HUGE.
Over and Over again I keep reminding myself that they don't, but they actually do! this makes ZDrop and VDrop Set-ups much more intense. Too Bad Footstool's no longer push people out of sheilds or this would be amazing ;(

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
RAR is massively underutilized with Peach, especially since her bair is such a quick move and Peach's possibilities to work with DJC or float.

Last edited:

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Under Utilized maybe by the majority of Novice Peach players, but it's been a thing for a long time that Quick or Well-Spaced BAir's on the floor level (called Low BAirs) is amazing on shield (quick Low Bair into DSmash is unbelievably legit) and also amazing for chasing Tech Rolls towards you/up from the ledge. Low BAirs, Gimping with really late BAirs, tech chasing with Smash Side B, DThrow Chaining Heavy Weights, and BThrowing FastFallers close to ledges are a few of the best things about Peach; Dat BASS~ (not b-ass, base. Bring it back, bruh!)

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
**** me. They used to push you out of shield? I only really started in 3.5 D: also - agreed RAR is nuts with her. Before you had to reverse turnip throw to get off the edge like that (which I keep reflexively doing, much to my dismay), but now that you can run and get out there to BAir or w/e while still holding a turnip is crazy. I've been messing around with RARing out with a turnip in hand then AGTing down with it to catch people recovering low (sword users/falcon/etc). Sounds good on paper but didn't want to attempt it at tournament too much as it feels like ****ing it up is asking to get stage spiked. I'll see if anyone here can make anything of it x

Last edited:

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Don't forget about VDrop! Easiest with DAir, but being able to keep them in their sheild long enough to drop a turnip on their shield to keep them in it for extra Blockstun/Hitstun if they've gotten too ancy, is so good. Either way, I love the **** out of AGT'ing, It's as good as DJC shifting to me, honestly.

Also, had a BLAST yesterday making Yoshi eat Heel as I proceeded to Footstool 3/4 his stocks. so satisfying.

Top Bottom