• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In need of a R.O.B. Teacher

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Back in 2008/early 2009, R.O.B. used be be one of my secondaries, I rarely used him in tourney but I used him quite often in money matches. I've given up on learning the Kirby vs Diddy matchup or MK vs Diddy matchups because I hate getting close against Diddy/his shield, but I feel because of R.O.B.'s projectiles and his useful glide toss to use Diddy's bannanas against him I feel R.O.B. is gonna have to be my Diddy counter. However I still don't know how to play against Diddy if my life depended on it.... so if anyone IS willing to teach me R.O.B. vs Diddy (which is the sole reason I'm picking back up R.O.B.) I'd prefer for them to be good at the R.O.B. vs Diddy matchup so I can learn it myself. Any Diddys wanting to help me train my R.O.B. as well can let me know and we'll set up a time to have a training session. But if you do this, don't just play me in the matchup, tell me things I'm doing wrong and things I can be doing, punishes I'm missing etc.

I am very serious about picking up R.O.B. to counter Diddy because I CANNOT win vs him as Kirby, MK or G&W, I NEED projectiles to beat him (I can't beat Diddy up close.... I just can't). Me learning R.O.B. will decide if I'm gonna quit or not quit (I've previously made a long post about me quitting).

So anyone wanna help me re-learn R.O.B. and stop losing to Diddy? :D

Sidenote: I know some of you may think this belongs in the Q&A thread and maybe you're right and if this gets locked, I'll post in there but I think this discussion is worthy of a thread so if you think it should go in the Q&A thread don't bother with telling me that, I'll just post this there if this thread does get locked =/

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I'm quite confident in the Diddy MU I was fortunate enough to live by Alphazealot in the past and got good at the MU, but I'm terrible on wifi. (I'm like 9-20 on AIB ladder lawl). But if you post some vids I can tell you what your doing wrong. The best thing to do is to get as much MU experience as possible though, IRL.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
My first suggestion would be to pick up Diddy for a short time and learn to use his bananas.

When you've gotten good at it go back to ROB and most of (if not all of it) carries over really well. If the ROB can't effectively use the Diddy's own bananas against him he doesn't win the matchup anymore.

Also, focus on stage control with gyro vs Diddy. Placing it on top of his banana makes it difficult for him to pick up and if you place it on a banana you have control of he can't pick either up without tripping or getting him by the gyro.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
lol don't quit because of some monkey
that would be silly.

and I would say you should sign up for a mentoring session, but if you just want to learn diddy then im sure it's unnecessary. I, myself still need to crack down and really learn this MU.

but I think t0mmy could rly help you with this MU. and I know Stingers has taken a game from ADHD before.
but yeah, t0mmy has played felix a bunch I'd say and I know he beat AZ at EVO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8m-7o2TEuw

best place to find t0mmy is actually on AiB. and he'd probably be more willing to help you there.

this is just my opinion and he may or may not be interested in helping, but it's worth a beepin shot x3

edit:
and yeah, like tako said. just having a diddy near by (which I dont have) is really helpful. and tako is pretty good about breaking down vids. just remember that momentum is key in this MU.
i think it's why i enjoy t0mmy's set so much because in times that I'd be super overwhelmed, he recovers quite smoothly.

T0MMY

Smash Master
The matchup is quite winnable for R.O.B., but not his advantage.
Poyo contacted me on AiB and I gave him some general tips, but haven't heard back from him. Best of luck to him though!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
ROB def wins the Diddy matchup, but picking up a new character just for one matchup really (esp since Kirby doesn't do bad vs Diddy I would imagine and you have MK already) just doesn't make much sense.

Some quick key tips:
-Focus on banana control
-Keep a fully charged gyro when Diddy is at mid-high percents, otherwise use it as a distractor at low % (full reason below)
-If you get Diddy with a banana and you are too far to follow up correctly, do glide toss banana to fully charged gyro, it does great damage and knockback
-Punish Diddy in the time it takes him to pull out his bananas (anything really, but laser works well)
-Read his over B recovery and make him sorry for doing it (fair, bair, etc)
-Knock him out of his upB and push him under the stage
-Fair walls off stage destroy Diddy at low percent, but don't get too greedy and still get a proper edgehog

TeeVee

Smash Lord
also, learn the timing for double jumping - z catch bananas oos if they throw a nana at ur shield

Top Bottom