• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In-Depth Zero Switch Information

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I noticed that there isn't much information on Zero Switching, and I figured I would set out to get all the stuff we need to maximize its potential. For example, we all know that it's possible to do on Lylat Cruise, but many people don't know how to anticipate it. I'm setting out to find all the ways that it can be accomplished.

It is worth noting that switching to Charizard seems to take a few frames fewer than switching to Squirtle or Ivysaur, and that switching to Squirtle and switching to Ivysaur both take about the same time. If you're having trouble getting out Charizard on Lylat or the disappearing platforms on Pokémon Stadium 1, try switching -slightly- later than the instant suggested.

Here's a video that showcases a lot of these--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJYgwpiuGlc

Neutral Stages:

Smashville: Down-B on the moving platform. If it is moving to the left, Down-B on the right edge. If it is moving to the right, Down-B on the left edge.

Lylat Cruise: Here's a list--

On the Corneria area (where there is a sky and clouds), when the stage enters the atmosphere (when the background is finished going from fire to cloud/sky), Down-B on the left edge of the center platform. During that, the stage will tilt right, then left a couple seconds later. Immediately before it starts tilting right, Down-B on the left edge of the center platform or the right edge of the stage. Immediately before it starts tilting left, Down-B on the right edge of the center platform or the left edge of the stage.

On the Battle area (with Arwings everywhere), when the Great Fox tilts counterclockwise and starts to move up from the right, Down-B on the left edge of the stage or the right edge of the center platform. About ten seconds after the Great Fox goes under the stage, look for two Wolfens and an Arwing to come up from the right all at once. When the Arwing is over the right edge of the center platform, Down-B on the right edge of the center platform or the left edge of the stage.

On the Spacecraft area (where there are lots of not-Arwing ships), when a ship on the left side of the screen explodes (as in, as soon as you see actual fire), Down-B on the left edge of the stage or the right edge of the center platform. After that, another ship will appear on the left, moving downward. When the top part of this ship is behind the entirety of the Trainer, Down-B on the right edge of the stage or the left edge of the center platform. After you pass through the Deathstar trench-looking thing, red ships will start to appear. When there is only one on your left, look for a triple laser in the bottom-right of the screen. Immediately after it disappears, Down-B on the right edge of the stage or the left edge of the center platform.

On the Asteroids area (exactly what it sounds like), immediately after the first large meteor disappears on the top-left of the screen, Down-B on the left edge of the stage or the right edge of the center platform. When the Arwing flies near the timer and overlaps a small asteroid, Down-B on the left edge of the stage or the right edge of the center platform.

On the Empty Space area (exactly what it sounds like), take a look at the timer when the background appears. About 22 seconds in, the ship will make an obvious, hard right turn. When it does, Down-B on the left edge of the center platform or the right edge of the stage. At about 40 seconds in, the ship will make an obvious, hard left turn. When it does, Down-B on the right edge of the center platform or the left edge of the stage. It is worth noting that both opportunities last for a few seconds, so you have a lot of leeway.

Castle Siege: During the stage transition to the cave area, take a look at the timer. Ten seconds after the background/stage becomes visible, the ground will shake, and two seconds after that, it will tilt right and left (in that order) repeatedly. Down-B on the edge opposite of the stage's tilt.

Pokémon Stadium 1: Whenever the stage alerts you to a change, there is an icon in the background that flashes slowly, as well as a mechanical beeping that accompanies it. As soon as the it shows the icon/makes the beeping noise the fourth time, Down-B anywhere EXCEPT the stage's unchanging edges.

On the Water area, you can Down-B on the windmill, either on an edge away from the direction it's turning, or right before the turn would take the platform from you.

Counterpick Stages:

Delfino Plaza: For all of the following places, Down-B when the main stage disappears into a transition. Here's a list--

For the Plaza area, if there are two platforms, Down-B on the highest platform. If there are three platforms, Down-B on the outside edge of either side platform (you'll come out in the water).

For the River area, Down-B on the center platform.

For either Beach area, Down-B either anywhere on the center platform or on the outside edge of either side platform. There is a platform configuration that only appears if it's the very first place that you go, in which case, you Down-B on the highest platform.

For the Roof area, Down-B on the center of the right platform.

For the Pillars area, Down-B on either edge of the center platform.

For the Sunshine area, Down-B on the highest platform.

For the Stairs area, Down-B on the highest platform.

I don't think there's a reliable method for the City (umbrella) area, but, for all it's worth, Down-B on the left edge of the main stage will put you immediately to the left of the wall.

Frigate Orpheon: On the part with a platform over the left half, Down-B on the left platform when it flips, and you'll be in roughly the same spot after the flip.

On the part with a platform over the center, Down-B on the center of the platform, and you'll appear above the right side of the stage. Basically, switching on the highest possible area is the rule of thumb here.

Pokémon Stadium 2: Whenever the stage alerts you to a change, there is an icon in the background that flashes slowly, as well as a mechanical beeping that accompanies it. As soon as the it shows the icon/makes the beeping noise the fourth time, Down-B anywhere. Note that this ONLY works when changing from non-Normal to Normal, and not the other way around.

On the Electric stage, you can cancel the Down-B's endlag by using it next to the edge of the conveyor belts (which push you off). The closer you are to the edge, the safer it is.

Rainbow Cruise: Here's a list--

When the boat hits the stage and falls, Down-B on the left edge of the ship.

Once you see the first few "donuts" (things that you stand on until they start falling), Down-B on any right edge. This works until you get back to the ship. :)

On the pendulum, Down-B on the side away from where it is moving.

Down-B on any disappearing platform.

Banned Stages:

Mushroomy Kingdom: Down-B on any right edge. :)

Rumble Falls: When the camera moves to the right, you can Down-B on any right edge.

Down-B on any disappearing platform.

Bridge of Eldin: You can Down-B over the center area right before the bomb explodes.

Pirate Ship: Down-B on the front of the ship when it hits a rock.

Distant Planet: Down-B near the ground's edge when there is rainfall.

New Pork City: Down-B on the swinging platform in the center of the stage. If it's moving left, Down-B on the right. If it's moving right, Down-B on the left.

Summit: On the left platform (the one with a hinge), stand on the platform for about 1.5 seconds and switch. The platform flips out after two seconds.

Skyworld: Down-B on the moving platform at the bottom-right, on the edge opposite of where it's moving.

75m: Down-B on the platforms moving down just before they disappear.

Pictochat: Here's a list--

On the Clock drawing, Down-B on the edge opposite of where the "minutes" hand is turning, or Down-B right before either platform moves from under you.

On the Pendulum drawing, Down-B on the edge opposite of where the pendulum is moving.

On the Pinwheel drawing, Down-B on a platform edge opposite of where it is moving.

It's worth noting that the Diagonal Line, Whale, and Box drawings can make it easy to switch safely, even if it's not possible to Zero Switch there.

Corneria: Down-B on the edge of the Arwing opposite of where it's moving.

Custom Stages:

Down-B on horizontally-moving platforms, on the edge opposite of the direction it is moving.

Down-B on the spinning four-platform thing; get on an edge opposite of the direction it is moving.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Finally finished. If you're familiar with any others that I didn't list, please let me know. I'd also be really grateful if someone could make a video of each stage's spots being put to use.

T-block

B2B TST
Some things off the top of my head:

On Frigate, it's possible to switch when the vertically moving platform is moving down, no?

Corneria has Arwings.

I think you can do it on the moving platforms of Luigi's Mansion, but I can't remember.

On PS1, it's possible to get the no lag if you come out just as the stage changes, as the floor falls slightly (what causes grab breaks), but that's not reliable.

It's probably also worth mentioning places where the floor disappears, giving you the same effect. On Pictochat, that's a lot of drawings. On Delfino, when the platform disappears between the pillars. There's also situational ones where the opponent breaks the floor under you... Mushroomy Kingdom, Castle Siege, Luigi's Mansion, Flatzone II, YI:M, etc.

I tried compiling this information once, and I got pretty far... I had the list in Charific Valley, but I guess that forum doesn't exist anymore =(

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Some things off the top of my head:

On Frigate, it's possible to switch when the vertically moving platform is moving down, no?

Corneria has Arwings.

I think you can do it on the moving platforms of Luigi's Mansion, but I can't remember.

On PS1, it's possible to get the no lag if you come out just as the stage changes, as the floor falls slightly (what causes grab breaks), but that's not reliable.

It's probably also worth mentioning places where the floor disappears, giving you the same effect. On Pictochat, that's a lot of drawings. On Delfino, when the platform disappears between the pillars. There's also situational ones where the opponent breaks the floor under you... Mushroomy Kingdom, Castle Siege, Luigi's Mansion, Flatzone II, YI:M, etc.

I tried compiling this information once, and I got pretty far... I had the list in Charific Valley, but I guess that forum doesn't exist anymore =(
I don't understand why platforms moving straight down would allow for Zero Switching. Does the Pokemon coming out simply freeze where they are instead of following the platform? I'll test it.

Ah, CORNERIA. I thought you meant the sky transition from Lylat Cruise. I'll add it.

I know about the switches on disappearing platforms like PS1, but since the timing is strict enough to need different timings for each of the three Pokemon, I figured I wouldn't count it. I could make a list with breakable platforms, but that would really only be for Teams.

T-block

B2B TST
Not totally sure... let me know what you find on Frigate.

The Arwing on Corneria moves both ways, btw, so it's not just the right edge.

There's a platform at the bottom of Skyworld that works IIRC.

Custom stages have moving platforms that work.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I couldn't get it to work on the vertically-moving Frigate platform. I added the stuff about Corneria, Skyworld, and custom stages.

First I have heard about Zero Switching. Is it located somewhere in this forum in what it does exactly? Sounds like a quicker way to switch characters without penalty.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
First I have heard about Zero Switching. Is it located somewhere in this forum in what it does exactly? Sounds like a quicker way to switch characters without penalty.
Normally, when you Down-B, the new Pokemon takes twenty frames before you can move, shield, or do anything. However, on the frame that the new Pokemon comes out, the Pokemon coming out doesn't move horizontally with the platform it's standing on, and if there is no platform underneath the Pokemon, the end lag is canceled.

tl;dr--Roll to the side of a moving platform (the side it's moving away from) and Down-B; when the Pokemon comes out; you'll just fall off/through the platform and be able to do whatever you want on the first frame.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161741

Look at the first part of "Advanced Techniques."

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I decided to add the Stadium 1 universal Zero Switch, because I just found out that you don't have to be on a platform, it works from Normal -> non-Normal and non-Normal -> Normal, Squirtle and Ivysaur take about the same time to come out, and there are two really obvious cues that makes it quite easy.

Added the same thing for Stadium 2, as the cues are the same; however, it only works when going from non-Normal to Normal.

I also edited a bit of Lylat's text.

Practice these! Let me know if something is not accurate.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I will be practicing these tonight and all tomorrow, even possibly sunday.

I got a fest tonight along with a tourny on Sat and Sunday

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Hey guys I just found something when zero switching.
With that technique, you can actually have 3 jumps just after switching (instead of 2), and Charizard will have 1 (instead of 0). It consists in buffering a jump while you're in the Pokéball. As you may know, when you buffer a move and you die immediatly after (I think the Pokémon won't even do the move), when you reappear, your new Pokémon will do that move. Actually, I don't really know what happens :/
But, when you switch and immediatly jump, you'll jump ASAP after finishing you switch. Plus, you'll have the additional 2 jumps with Squirtle/Ivy. Moreover, you'll get a "bonus" glide with Charizard.
I don't really know the timing, so if someone could help me, that would be nice :)
If you wanna see what I'm talking about, just mash jump immediatly after zero switching, you'll manage to see it for sure (if not, try again D: )

Sooo, in a nutshell :
- Input a jump immediatly after pressing Down + B when Zero Switching
- The result is your character immadiatly jumping out of the platform
- After this jump, you can : * Squirtle : Double Jump twice
* Ivysaur : Double Jump twice
* Charizard : Glide

Of course this isn't game-changing, but it might be useful, especially for Charizard. And that's always good to know things like that.

Also, if you zero switch while keeping your finger on the jump button (you have to start pressing jump during the lag of a move, otherwise you won't be able to perform it) , you jump ASAP after the switch (doesn't work with Charizard).

And that's it, I hope that you learned something, and we'll hopefully find the real input/timing of this technique.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Hey guys I just found something when zero switching.
With that technique, you can actually have 3 jumps just after switching (instead of 2), and Charizard will have 1 (instead of 0). It consists in buffering a jump while you're in the Pokéball. As you may know, when you buffer a move and you die immediatly after (I think the Pokémon won't even do the move), when you reappear, your new Pokémon will do that move. Actually, I don't really know what happens :/
But, when you switch and immediatly jump, you'll jump ASAP after finishing you switch. Plus, you'll have the additional 2 jumps with Squirtle/Ivy. Moreover, you'll get a "bonus" glide with Charizard.
I don't really know the timing, so if someone could help me, that would be nice :)
If you wanna see what I'm talking about, just mash jump immediatly after zero switching, you'll manage to see it for sure (if not, try again D: )

Sooo, in a nutshell :
- Input a jump immediatly after pressing Down + B when Zero Switching
- The result is your character immadiatly jumping out of the platform
- After this jump, you can : * Squirtle : Double Jump twice
* Ivysaur : Double Jump twice
* Charizard : Glide

Of course this isn't game-changing, but it might be useful, especially for Charizard. And that's always good to know things like that.

Also, if you zero switch while keeping your finger on the jump button (you have to start pressing jump during the lag of a move, otherwise you won't be able to perform it) , you jump ASAP after the switch (doesn't work with Charizard).

And that's it, I hope that you learned something, and we'll hopefully find the real input/timing of this technique.
This is really cool. Probably won't do much for us, but, at least we don't have to be afraid of Charizard dying afterward now. I will experiment with the timing when I can.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm pretty late on this but on the note of Frigate Orpheon switch between 1st to 2nd layout as Charizard switching to Squirtle near the end of the stage ledge on 1st layout at a stalled time can leave your pokeball floating under Frigate's 2nd layout pretty close near the 2 gaps able to cling/jump to each side of wall wherever you're closest to, and with Zero Switch buffered jump out of ZS into a cling. You can stall a looooong time under here into multiple wall- jumps into each other lasting a good 7 - 10 seconds averagely until your wall-jumps decrease in jump strength and you still have 2 double jumps with Squirtle to recover back. Best Record of stalling I got so far was 12 seconds

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I'm pretty late on this but on the note of Frigate Orpheon switch between 1st to 2nd layout as Charizard switching to Squirtle near the end of the stage ledge on 1st layout at a stalled time can leave your pokeball floating under Frigate's 2nd layout pretty close near the 2 gaps able to cling/jump to each side of wall wherever you're closest to, and with Zero Switch buffered jump out of ZS into a cling. You can stall a looooong time under here into multiple wall- jumps into each other lasting a good 7 - 10 seconds averagely until your wall-jumps decrease in jump strength and you still have 2 double jumps with Squirtle to recover back. Best Record of stalling I got so far was 12 seconds
While that is a nice option for stalling I do not know how "non-situational" that is as in most cases the only use for stalling as PT is until you find a safe moment to recover, otherwise you are just letting the fatigue timer get eaten up.

Overall that stalling tactic could have its uses situationally, but I would much rather utilize it in those situations to net a safe recovery as opposed to just stalling with it.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I was randomly practicing it over and over to get better at this almost seemingly useless stalling and turns out that sometimes, SOMETIMES the stage prepares to switch back again as I'm walljump-stalling which is really lucky & a relief with squirtle. But now that I think about it you're absolutely right and 12 seconds of fatigue is...unfortunate. But the pokeball understage alone is good stall all by itself and not too harmful :cool:

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I was randomly practicing it over and over to get better at this almost seemingly useless stalling and turns out that sometimes, SOMETIMES the stage prepares to switch back again as I'm walljump-stalling which is really lucky & a relief with squirtle. But now that I think about it you're absolutely right and 12 seconds of fatigue is...unfortunate. But the pokeball understage alone is good stall all by itself and not too harmful :cool:
Yessir thats a solid idea glad I was able to help you see the good in this whether it is overly situation or not.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Unfortunately also this is all I could find on my own time for anymore PT discussion on Zero Switching, most of it's already covered so I'll take my leave of this thread =)

Top Bottom