• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving DK's chances in tourneys

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I've created a post here pointing out the hypocrisy in banning walled/walk-off stages to prevent chaingrabbing to death but not protecting characters like DK who are vulnerable to standing infinites:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173861

IMHO, if they're going to protect Snake from Dedede hammering him against a wall or off a walk-off stage, they should protect all 7 of the infinite-vulnerable characters from the same thing.

I'm sick of being told "Just avoid being grabbed!! LOLOL!" and I'm sure DK mains are as well.

Hopefully, no one will need to do anything, but a post of support in the thread will be ideal if tournament organizers refuse to change the ruleset and continue catering to people who main a character who D3/Marth can chain but not infinite.

6futs

Smash Rookie
I honestly don't think it will change but it really pisses me off. Whenever I am playing with a few friends and think about picking DK they cursor over DDD and........ no :(.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
The infinite is hard enough to pull off that your opponent will most likely screw up and you will escape before he is done. I say keep it in the game.

Walk-off ledges are banned to remove gimp kills just because you happened to grab somebody 3 feet away from the death box wall. Nobody likes being killed at 3 percent. D3's infinite, however, has the be used until his opponent is at around 200% (and likely more) to successfully kill his opponent, giving him plenty of time to screw up. If infinites were such a big deal, then only Ice Climbers would win tourneys. If that's the case, then why are Snakes the ones winning right now?

Would I rather DK be un-infinitable? Yes, but I am a strong supporter of not removing techniques in a game just because it gives other people an advantage. It's a fighting game, you should be allowed to do what you can to win, no matter what it is. DK can also infinite people up against a wall, and there are non-banned stages that have walls (PS1, Corneria).

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Agreed that the Dedede infinite is really easy. Also, relying on your opponent to suck and mess up does NOT apply when you're at a tournament where people WILL be good enough to never screw it up.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Walk off's and walls are generally banned because it gives characters that have the ability to do it an advantage over the majority of the cast.

DDD's infinite only works on 5 characters.

The only way around it is to ban the infinite, and then you run into grey areas. When does chain grabbing stop being an infinite, and when does it start being good tech chasing?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
But it's easier to avoid D3 catching you against a wall and yet walled stages are banned.

That's the thing: they HAVE banned infinite grabs against certain characters by banning stages where the infinite is possible against a wall or a CG is possible off the side of the stage.

It doesn't matter if that's half the cast or not: if they're going to do it for some characters, they need to do it for ALL characters.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
But it's easier to avoid D3 catching you against a wall and yet walled stages are banned.

That's the thing: they HAVE banned infinite grabs against certain characters by banning stages where the infinite is possible against a wall or a CG is possible off the side of the stage.

It doesn't matter if that's half the cast or not: if they're going to do it for some characters, they need to do it for ALL characters.
I agree with this. Sadly I really feel it is because it isn't affecting the current popular characters. I'm positive if D3 had a standing infinite on Snake and Meta Knight instead of DK and Bowser there would be an uproar over it and it would quickly be limited and banned.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I agree with this. Sadly I really feel it is because it isn't affecting the current popular characters. I'm positive if D3 had a standing infinite on Snake and Meta Knight instead of DK and Bowser there would be an uproar over it and it would quickly be limited and banned.
Sad but true...

Omega Deman

Smash Apprentice
Not that I want to see another unfair advantage of any kind, but I honestly would laugh if someone, especially DK, found a way to chain Snake and MK. Can you imagine how the tourneys would change.

Soyaku

Smash Rookie
I would just say infinites stall the match and isn't a acknowledgeable display of skill.

To me, it's unsportsmanlike and only bothers me if people purposely counter pick the character able to do the chain grab infinite. In whichever case, it will always be unsportsmanlike to me and tells me that you aren't capable of any real skill when it comes to fighting one of the 7. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying ban it, I'm simply discouraging it. When it comes to the winning, playing dirty is a viable strategy, unfortunately.

Top Bottom