• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improvements I'd like to see in SSB4.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I disagree! The nice thing of target tests avaiable to every character in the stages was they offered multiple solutions, even within the same char.
Bring back "board the platform" and "race to the finish" instead.
I liked the cutscenes too, but they might have a more than aestethic role if this time the choices do influence the path of the story, rather than just who is under the control of the player.
To me I felt as Target Test was lacking. Back in the day when Melee was entirely new Target Test helped me understand how to use certain characters to which I had absolutely no knowledge of. For example, I thought Young Link's starting point was entirely glitched, then I learned how to wall-jump which has saved my life in stages like Fourside more than once.
Or in Marth's stage where you could use Counter on a flipper and get onto a desired platform, otherwise you'd have to get pretty lucky to get on it. With Yoshi I started off not using my eggs, but then as I improved with Yoshi I started using his B-Up to slowly shave down my times, eventually becoming very accurate with them. With Target Test I feel like it's not only a fun game mode, but also a good experience to understand characters which I felt that the current Target Test didn't do as well. Even unlocking Game and Watch required you to beat Target Test with every character which was a challenge within itself, and a fulfilling one at that.

Board the Platform and Race to the Finish would also be fantastic additions to have alongside Multi Man and Home Run Contest. However, I would also want to say that Board the Platform would be analogous to Target Test where each stage catered to each individual character. This definitely helps newer players understand the mechanics of each character better in my opinion.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
To me I felt as Target Test was lacking. Back in the day when Melee was entirely new Target Test helped me understand how to use certain characters to which I had absolutely no knowledge of. For example, I thought Young Link's starting point was entirely glitched, then I learned how to wall-jump which has saved my life in stages like Fourside more than once.
Or in Marth's stage where you could use Counter on a flipper and get onto a desired platform, otherwise you'd have to get pretty lucky to get on it. With Yoshi I started off not using my eggs, but then as I improved with Yoshi I started using his B-Up to slowly shave down my times, eventually becoming very accurate with them. With Target Test I feel like it's not only a fun game mode, but also a good experience to understand characters which I felt that the current Target Test didn't do as well. Even unlocking Game and Watch required you to beat Target Test with every character which was a challenge within itself, and a fulfilling one at that.

Board the Platform and Race to the Finish would also be fantastic additions to have alongside Multi Man and Home Run Contest. However, I would also want to say that Board the Platform would be analogous to Target Test where each stage catered to each individual character. This definitely helps newer players understand the mechanics of each character better in my opinion.
This. THIS.

ALL THIS.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Race to The Finish should return, but focus on individual courses to test your experience with a character's mobility.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
a very nice idea would be combining both Target modes from 64/Melee and Brawl by having character individuality and difficulty modes at the same time.

each character could have 3 Target Smash courses (Easy, Normal and Hard) with the Easy mode having very slight differences between each characters and the higher difficulties having deeper character specific quirks.

Race to the Finish and Board the Platforms (following the same rules described above for Target) should return in addition to new bonus games. have Race to the Finish and Board the Platforms accessible from the Stadium menu.

another nice touch to the Classic mode would be a Boss Battle exclusive to a certain character. this fight would happen before the Master Hand stage and would feature a boss from the chosen character's universe.

[COLLAPSE="Examples"]Mario -> Petey Piranha (similar to Brawl, without cages)
Luigi -> King Boo
Bowser -> Fawful
Yoshi -> Kamek
Wario -> Rudy the Clown (Wario Land 3's final boss)
Link -> Beast Ganon or Demise
Samus -> Metroid Prime or Ridley (if the latter, then he could be similar to his Brawl appearence)
Pit -> Medusa or Hades
Ice Climbers -> Ice Climber enemies rush
Kirby -> Marx, 0², Dyna Blade or Whispy Woods
Olimar -> Empress Bulblax, Burrowing Snagret or Titan Dweevil
Fox -> Andross
Marth -> Medeus or Hardin
Ike -> Ashnard, Black Knight or Ashera
Ness -> Giygas
Lucas -> Porky (same as Brawl)
Snake -> Metal Gear REX, Metal Gear RAY, Shagohod or two Gekkos
Sonic -> Dr. Eggman (could be recreations of some bosses from the 2D games)[/COLLAPSE]

alongside eventual Adventure Mode bosses and Master and Crazy Hands, they would be made available to fight using other characters in a Boss Rush mode. what do you think of this idea?

D

Deleted member

@Frost

The idea is neat and all on paper, but isn't it rather unnecessary?

Think, if we get 50 characters, and 3 target tests per character, then that amounts to 150 target tests total. Ultimately, everyone is only going to care about the hard mode TT's anyway. So why not just give us one TT per character, that is dedicated toward mastering their abilities.

Hard Mode Target Tests from the get go, don't beat around the bush with unnecessary fluff, as that's extra development time and effort for something rather mundane.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I absoultly love and and agree with ''Frostwraith'' Individual char bosses idea.

Except for Samus it should be Motherbrain.

Also who will the Playable Villians special boss battle be?
Bowser>Mario
Ganondorf>Link
Etc: and so on...that would be really crap..

Also am i the only one who wants Giga bowser back for a boss? I mean it was damn cool to play as him via Bowser's FS but i miss him as a boss just as much or even more!

Damn no denying fighting Giga bowser in Real HD 1080p WiiU Zomfhfffgg *mouth waters with epikneZz*

:phone:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
@Frost

The idea is neat and all on paper, but isn't it rather unnecessary?

Think, if we get 50 characters, and 3 target tests per character, then that amounts to 150 target tests total. Ultimately, everyone is only going to care about the hard mode TT's anyway. So why not just give us one TT per character, that is dedicated toward mastering their abilities.

Hard Mode Target Tests from the get go, don't beat around the bush with unnecessary fluff, as that's extra development time and effort for something rather mundane.
You get to the problem: With 50 chars it means 50 target tests, 50 "board the platform" and 50 "run to the finish". That's a lot of memory and a lot of work for the developers!
That's why since Brawl they decided to go for collective bonus stages.
Maybe, to mediate that, they might construct individual stages for each franchise, rather than each characters.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
They decided to go with collective minigames because of co-op. Though I think they could have had seperate 1p and 2p target test courses.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I absoultly love and and agree with ''Frostwraith'' Individual char bosses idea.

Except for Samus it should be Motherbrain.

Also who will the Playable Villians special boss battle be?
Bowser>Mario
Ganondorf>Link
Etc: and so on...that would be really crap..

Also am i the only one who wants Giga bowser back for a boss? I mean it was damn cool to play as him via Bowser's FS but i miss him as a boss just as much or even more!

Damn no denying fighting Giga bowser in Real HD 1080p WiiU Zomfhfffgg *mouth waters with epikneZz*

how could I forget about Mother Brain! =O

for the playable villains, I had Fawful as Bowser's boss as a reference to the M&L series.

for Ganondorf... a nice idea would be the Six Sages from Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess.

the main problem would be designing all those bosses for every character. perhaps some characters had shared bosses?

[COLLAPSE="Boss examples (updated with more bosses)"]Mario -> Petey Piranha (similar to Brawl, without cages)
Luigi -> King Boo
Peach -> Dimentio
Bowser -> Fawful (being an antagonist in Bowser's Inside Story, I think it makes sense)
Donkey Kong -> King K. Rool or Tiki Tong (depending on whether K. Rool makes in or not)
Diddy Kong -> Kremling enemy rush (consists on fighting waves of Kremling enemies)
Yoshi -> Kamek
Link -> Beast Ganon
Zelda -> Demise (as Hylia's incarnation, Zelda's true archenemy is the Demon King Demise)
Ganondorf -> Six Sages
Toon Link -> Helmaroc King (as the one who kidnapped his sister, I think this boss is appropriate)
Samus -> Mother Brain, Metroid Prime or Ridley (if the latter, then he could be similar to his Brawl appearence)
Pit -> Medusa or Hades
Ice Climbers -> Ice Climber enemy rush (similar to Diddy Kong's but fighting waves of enemies from Ice Climber instead)
Fox -> Andross
Falco -> Aparoid Queen
Captain Falcon -> Deathborn
Ness -> Giygas
Mr. Game & Watch -> G&W enemy rush (this one would feature many enemy figures from several G&W games)
Sonic -> Dr. Eggman (could be recreations of some bosses from the 2D games) [/COLLAPSE]

D

Deleted member

how could I forget about Mother Brain! =O

for the playable villains, I had Fawful as Bowser's boss as a reference to the M&L series.

for Ganondorf... a nice idea would be the Six Sages from Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess.

the main problem would be designing all those bosses for every character. perhaps some characters had shared bosses?

[COLLAPSE="Boss examples (updated with more bosses)"]Mario -> Petey Piranha (similar to Brawl, without cages)
Luigi -> King Boo
Peach -> Dimentio
Bowser -> Fawful (being an antagonist in Bowser's Inside Story, I think it makes sense)
Donkey Kong -> King K. Rool or Tiki Tong (depending on whether K. Rool makes in or not)
Diddy Kong -> Kremling enemy rush (consists on fighting waves of Kremling enemies)
Yoshi -> Kamek
Link -> Beast Ganon
Zelda -> Demise (as Hylia's incarnation, Zelda's true archenemy is the Demon King Demise)
Ganondorf -> Six Sages
Toon Link -> Helmaroc King (as the one who kidnapped his sister, I think this boss is appropriate)
Samus -> Mother Brain, Metroid Prime or Ridley (if the latter, then he could be similar to his Brawl appearence)
Pit -> Medusa or Hades
Ice Climbers -> Ice Climber enemy rush (similar to Diddy Kong's but fighting waves of enemies from Ice Climber instead)
Fox -> Andross
Falco -> Aparoid Queen
Captain Falcon -> Deathborn
Ness -> Giygas
Mr. Game & Watch -> G&W enemy rush (this one would feature many enemy figures from several G&W games)
Sonic -> Dr. Eggman (could be recreations of some bosses from the 2D games) [/COLLAPSE]

I kinda want to expand on this idea.

Like, imagine if Death from Castlevania was in Smash as a boss. Imagine having to take him down with Marth, or Samus, or Link rather than the usual Simon. Or fighting the Yellow Devil from Megaman with Mario or Sonic. This is clearly a Boss Rush mode, but I want this to be more Iconic. More bosses, like 20 or so. None of that "OC DO NOT STEAL" BS from Brawl. Of course, not EVERY character gets their own Boss in, I'd say choose around 20 interesting bosses and toss them in as Adventure Mode Bosses or something, and add a Boss Rush mode.

I actually made a Boss Wishlist a while back. It's got impossible choices, and isn't even. But I don't feel franchise representation is important when it comes to bosses...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
it is supposed to be a challenge for classic mode, giving exclusivity to a each character. after that, the player would face against Master Hand for the final battle.

then, you could unlock the Boss Rush mode, where you fight all those bosses with any character. they could also appear in Adventure Mode, giving the opportunity to fight them with other characters.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, but don't you think that's too many bosses? Quality over quantity is what I say...

Top Bottom