• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMPORTANT: University of Maryland - Shell Shocked: The Drunken Brawl (4/26/2008)

Reioumu

Smash Lord
Greg was one of the top seeds Cas. Good **** Boss. Amazing Mario got you far. And Azen, I can't wait to see what you do with Quick-Attack Cancel :D

TheYoster

Smash Journeyman
Azen would of loss to boss if it wasn't for the interference of that insanely loud door alarm. He would surely be the 1st place Weiner of the tournament because all boss has to do is go Yoshi to easily take out Forte.

Shell Shocked Brawl Tourney turned into Sweat Your Ball Offs Brawl Tourney. There was some mad sweating and armpit stench going on in that basement.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Next year Rebel will most likely be in La Plata, and La Plata's basement is air conditioned. So no worries about that.

Other than that, we had a great turnout. We'll def be hosting at least one more of these next month, and then more next year. Registration will be more organized, and some people will not get bad directions. Expect improvements. INcluding lack of setups. We had 8 or 9? Which wasn't enough for a 64 man bracket. Though we have no venue fee, we may consider cutting entry fees for those who bring setups. We had surplus wiis, we just need TVs.

Overall, I'm very happy with how things went. I expect to see you all sometime next month.

Savant

Smash Rookie
First tourney, got my butt handed to me but I'm just glad to find people that much better then me in the area. Will definitely be more prepared next time around. Is there a UMD Brawl facebook group? Me and my friends have been lookin for new people to play against but it seems no one has a Wii on campus

Medic

Smash Cadet
Fun Tourney, met a lot of people and had a lot of fun!
Can't wait until next tourney.
-
One thing I think we should definitly change about the tournament structure this time is that Sudden Death should be allowed as opposed to percentage.
At first glance, this sounds like it would favor campers. However, the opposite is true.
While I personally have never had to worry about Sudden Death (Heh, but plenty of SD worries all the same :p), It just kind of makes sense to me to use what the game gives us to settle close matches.
Camping is not a fun thing to play against, I get it, though it is a legit strategy. SD forces a camper to make a move against the opponent, as, if they keep stalling, bomb-ombs fall from the sky and kill them. All in all, it's efficient and prevents campy people from dealing a bit of damage on someone and then running away for the rest of the game to stall. That's just my thoughts on it, though.
-
This tourney was fun, crazy, a bit sweaty, but most of all educational. This tourney was ideal for learning the tournament scene, I'm told.
To wrap up, it was a pleasure meeting and playing all of you, and I can't wait for the next one, guys!

CasSteal

Smash Cadet
yea it was real fun. i got beat pretty bad too. i went to tha tourny with only one good character and that was diddy. a lot of people that went had at least 2-3 strong characters. it inspired me to play with more characters. so i'll be ready for tha next tourny!

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Fun Tourney, met a lot of people and had a lot of fun!
Can't wait until next tourney.
-
One thing I think we should definitly change about the tournament structure this time is that Sudden Death should be allowed as opposed to percentage.
At first glance, this sounds like it would favor campers. However, the opposite is true.
While I personally have never had to worry about Sudden Death (Heh, but plenty of SD worries all the same :p), It just kind of makes sense to me to use what the game gives us to settle close matches.
Camping is not a fun thing to play against, I get it, though it is a legit strategy. SD forces a camper to make a move against the opponent, as, if they keep stalling, bomb-ombs fall from the sky and kill them. All in all, it's efficient and prevents campy people from dealing a bit of damage on someone and then running away for the rest of the game to stall. That's just my thoughts on it, though.
-

There are problems with your theory. One, is that no one can run away for 7:00 on any tourney stage. It just can't happen. Besides that's not how camping works. Camping is basically playing ultra defensive on your turf until they are forced to come after you, taking damage in the process, and it generally gives the camper the upper hand since they are being approached. There are plenty of ways to get around camping.

The other is that sudden death is entirely unfair. In fact, it favors campers. Why? Well if it really goes into sudden death, and although you are the better player and are on your last stock at like 50%, you just haven't managed to kill that guy at 150%. Everyone knows if you had another minute you'd do it. However, now you are suddenly both at 300%. Tell me, how is that fair? Sudden death eliminates any legitimate lead players had beforehand simply because they hit a time limit which is only imposed to prevent tourneys from running late. The game gives us sudden death because it assumesnboth players are casual and that the game could go either way. It also takes away any weight advantage. If I'm at 120 as snake and you're at 121% as squirtle, you are almost definately going to lose, but suddenly we're both at 300 and squirtle can kill snake just as easily as snake can kill squirtle.

Anyways, we have a results thread, so let's get this closed.

Top Bottom