• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impaired Hearing/Sight, etc; experiences?

Spire

III
BRoomer
How many of you have impaired your hearing, sight, or in rarer cases, your ability to smell, taste, or feel? Whilst listening to music today, a couple of my friends and my younger brother were able to hear so much more that I just couldn't - distinct little sounds that I simply could not pick up on. I feel awful for permanently damaging my hearing a couple years ago.

I can attribute this loss to the album "Irony Is a Dead Scene" by the Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton, among his various other work of course (**** you Fantômas...). I wish I could resent the guy, but it was my own doing with those **** iPod earphones. Should have listened to the advice I was given to purchase large headphones.

How about you guys?

Scott!

Smash Lord
Well, it's genetic rather than self-inflicted, but I do have some pretty bad eyesight. When I was like 8-9, My right eye was still okay, but my left was pretty out of focus already. I thought it was like some awesome poewr of mine that things looked different with each eye for me. Then, I told my parents, and one trip to the eye doctor and another to Lenscrafters later, I had my first glasses. They were pretty big. Not 70s big, but still large. Now, 10+ years later, my eyes are pretty evenly bad, and are much worse than my left one way back then.

That's rough about the hearing though. Good thing I was always afraid of that happening to me, so I kept the volume down and avoid headphones when I don't need them.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I have a cataract in my right eye as well as scarring of the retina in that eye, my vision in it can be pretty crappy given the wrong lighting conditions, but my left eye is perfect so I really never notice that I even have impaired vision except that my depth perception kinda sucks.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
im SLIGHTY near sighted on my right eye, and it has an ANNOY eye floaters in it too, GO AWAY YOU SQIGGLY LINE IN MY EYE!

im pretty sure my hear in ok, sometimes i "filter" what i can listen

i think its based on your genetics, my grandmothers and pappy all wore glasses, so do i and my sis and bro

Handorin

Smash Hero
When I had my nose surgery, my eyes decided to swell up A LOT. When we told the doctor later, he said it was unusual for that to happen. =/

Anyways, to "keep the swelling down" I wore an ice pack over my eyes. I couldn't see/do anything while this was on, so I slept a lot. When I was awake, I basically had to feel my way around everywhere. My eyes were no more than slits of my face, and at best I could barely open one eye. When the swelling went down a little bit, I was able to open eyes just enough to play guitar hero on easy with large gems on (aka enough to see something and guess when I need to strum).

Not to mention sneezing was living hell. You dont want to know what came out or the pain experienced. Even after I got the stitches/splint removed, I couldn't smell for a long time. I suppose you can also count seasonal allergies screwing with my abilty to smell.

slave1

Smash Lord
i have flippen horrible vision.

i had my first pair of glasses when i was in fourth grade. broke them too many times to count. eventually switched to contacts in 11th grade.

it sucks having bad vision. and mine is reallllly bad and if i squint and its really dard and i dont have glasses or contacts in AND if there is a small light source i see two lights. so i have double vision.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I feel strange reading this, because I have really good hearing 20-20 vision and really good tact, but I can't smell as well =/ And for having good hearing i talk REALLY softly so yeah.... not really impaired but it feels strange reading this.

Flawless Fan

Smash Hero
I have bad eyesight, though it's not as bad as my moms. It's getting worse and worse though, so maybe it'll be as bad as hers. I need my glasses to drive, otherwise I can't see road signs or tell what color traffic lights are.
I messed around with a Brawl snapshot in Photoshop, and tried to get it to look like what I'd see from a short distance if I don't have my glasses on.
Original - - - Shopped
By short distance, this is what I'd see at about five to seven feet away. The farther things are, the worse it is.

Also, I have a habit of opening my eyes while swimming in a pool. All that chlorine can't be good for my vision.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I was born with a underdeveloped left eye. The pupil and iris is noticeably smaller than my right eye. I can barely recognize certain colors at certain angles in certain light conditions. Basically it's vision-less. And I wear glasses. My depth perception has never been that great in certain situations. Driving has been fine but catching baseballs doesn't really work out. (I'm pretty great at frisbee though.) I run into walls and small tables and things like that on my left side on a daily basis. My left toe (which I slammed into a door frame two hours ago) has been stubbed so often that I'm surprised I haven't broken it.

drcossack

Smash Ace
Bad distance vision for me, that's about it. I wear my glasses when I need to - driving, playing music (when the notes are small & difficult to read)

My nose is hit or miss because of allergies (I suffer year-round, unfortunately) - it's gotten a lot better lately (since I actually use my nose spray along with my antihistamine)

I have my iPod in my ears frequently (read: all the time), but I keep the volume low (most of the time - I make exceptions for some of my favorite songs, when I absolutely have to turn up the volume), so that hasn't bothered me yet.

Overload

Smash Lord
My sense of smell is so bad that I might as well not have one. I don't know why it's like this.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Something got lodged in my right ear as a small child.

I lost 80% of my hearing in my right ear (could have been fine if doctors weren't such buffoons).
Now you'll know why my headphones are so **** loud. :laugh:

.Marik

is a social misfit
I was born partly deaf.

As a matter of fact, I just went and got my hearing aids fixed a few hours ago. :laugh:

My vision is perfect, though.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Glad to hear your stories guys. Although, I still feel the worst for actually damaging my own hearing. It's not as bad as I may have made it sound, but it's still not as acute as it should be. So consequently, I do not use headphones anymore.

Although, playing music at max volume in the car every day everywhere I go could do some temporary impairing, but whatever...

I am grateful for my vision though; as perfect as it could possibly get. While I would prefer my hearing over my vision if I had to choose, I'm glad that I can still see well without the assistance of glasses or contacts. My field of artistic focus would itself be handicapped if my vision were to drop at all.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I have good eyesight, but I'm somewhat colorblind.
How so? Are colors grayed down, or do you just not see certain ones? I know someone who with one eye sees complete color and with the other sees a grayscale world, so together, meet 50-50 for a half-saturated vision.

Hostility

Smash Ace
How so? Are colors grayed down, or do you just not see certain ones? I know someone who with one eye sees complete color and with the other sees a grayscale world, so together, meet 50-50 for a half-saturated vision.
I don't see certain colors unless I look really really closely at them. Blue and green are the worst. They look exactly the same to me if they are right next to each other unless I like focus on them for a few seconds. I don't have the greyscale problem thankfully. I can't remember the other colors I'm really bad with but there are a few other combinations I remember doing bad at with the colorblind test.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I have good eyesight, but I'm somewhat colorblind.
That reminds me, my mom told me that one time she had a student that saw everything in complete gray-scale:ohwell: What is it like being color blind?

I tested my sense of smell yesterday, and yeah it sucks. Apparently only if the smells are strong or overpowering can I noti:urg:ce them

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I've never done anything that impared me, but I am near-sighted. I'm not quite sure what my X/20 is, but yeah. I can read and play my GB/GBA/DS/Electronic Sudoku handhelds, but one things are an arm length away from me, things become blurry.

Also, whenever I'm talking to someone face-to-face and we're sitting at a table or something, I tend to look at them over my glasses rather than through them. Same when it comes to reading.

@ Zrky: Wait, there are places where you can get your sense of smell tested?

zrky

Smash Lol'd
@ Zrky: Wait, there are places where you can get your sense of smell tested?
No, I did it myself, there are allot of things in my room, house, and school that I tested with and well I found out myself:) I now know why I can't really tell when my room smells bad because of my 2 fish tanks and 2 terrariums...

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
I have poor eyesight; I can't see farther than a few feet away.
Glasses bother me sometimes, but I've gotten used to it.

My hearing is fine, and while I'm a music aficionado and use headphones a lot, I don't turn them up to the point where they hurt my ears or could damage my hearing. My hearing seems pretty sensitive compared to others', too (some things hurt my ears and don't bother other people).

Hostility

Smash Ace
That reminds me, my mom told me that one time she had a student that saw everything in complete gray-scale:ohwell:
Well it's not all that weird for me. I don't have the problem of seeing in grey scale, just some colors I don't distinguish between. The only time it's a problem for me is in melee doubles when the two teams are blue/green. I can't tell them apart hardly at all.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I have horrible vision, 850/20. Something that a normal person can see 850 feet away I can only see at 20 feet away. Without my glasses, I have to hold books within 2.5 inches in front of my face to be able to read them.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I have horrible vision, 850/20. Something that a normal person can see 850 feet away I can only see at 20 feet away. Without my glasses, I have to hold books within 2.5 inches in front of my face to be able to read them.
Other way around. You have 20/850. 850/20 would mean you have the eyes of a hawk or something. :)

I think my eyesight is similar, without glasses. Slightly better.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I mentioned before that I have glasses. Personally, I like them. They fit me and the image I want to project. The only thing that really bothers me about my poor vision is things with my own body. Let me elaborate. I can't focus clearly on my hand at arm's length. I can't count my toes when I'm standing (and I have the normal number). Not being able to read a book cause it's too far away doesn't bother me, but being unable to see my own body in focus unaided does.

Top Bottom