• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm THIS close to going out to get a copy of Melee... (opinions please)

Young Kai

Smash Rookie
Do they still hold Melee tournaments? I've played Brawl enough to get decently good at it but I had an idea where I can get more experience of advance techniques playing Melee first since I never did play Melee enough (played it a few times but didn't have a GC and then jumped straight into Brawl).

I know some techniques of Melee aren't in Brawl such as wavedashing and L-canceling but I still think playing Melee enough might give me some new ideas to use in playing Brawl. Feel free to criticize the idea if you wish.

Also, do they let you customize the controls in Melee?

Thanks.

Dekar173

Justice Man
It can help your spacing/mindgames, but in all honesty if you've never played Melee before, you'll be pretty far behind the other local players around you :X

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I like how no one answers the questions. But yeah, this should either go in a Q&A.

To save your time, playing Melee may or may not screw up your Brawl gameplay. When I play Melee for a while, I (obviously) get accustomed to the gameplay, WDs, L-cancels, and dashdancing. When I go back to Brawl, I mess up a ton and it takes me at least a week to get back into shape. Some people can easily switch between the two, but I personally can't. I'm sure if you do it for a while though, you can get used to the change and therefore be able to make the switch.

In short, I wouldn't advise playing Melee to improve your Brawl, I personally think it works the other way around. (Brawl helps beginner Melee players to get the general gist of the game)

Yes, they still hold Melee tournaments.
No, you can't change your controller options...I think, although I'm pretty sure.

I do advise getting Melee to have a great game and to possibly like the game more then Brawl though.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
This game is a step backwards. Why would you play the other game to improve on this one?

Young Kai

Smash Rookie
I like how no one answers the questions. But yeah, this should either go in a Q&A.

To save your time, playing Melee may or may not screw up your Brawl gameplay. When I play Melee for a while, I (obviously) get accustomed to the gameplay, WDs, L-cancels, and dashdancing. When I go back to Brawl, I mess up a ton and it takes me at least a week to get back into shape. Some people can easily switch between the two, but I personally can't. I'm sure if you do it for a while though, you can get used to the change and therefore be able to make the switch.

In short, I wouldn't advise playing Melee to improve your Brawl, I personally think it works the other way around. (Brawl helps beginner Melee players to get the general gist of the game)

Yes, they still hold Melee tournaments.
No, you can't change your controller options...I think, although I'm pretty sure.

I do advise getting Melee to have a great game and to possibly like the game more then Brawl though.
Thanks. If a mod could please move the thread then to the appropriate spot, that'd be appreciated.

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
You should get Melee period. Whether it helps your Brawl game or not is irrelevant. It might, or might not, but it's a game you should own regardless. Look for a tourney in your area and go. You'll be glad you got into Melee. It's too much fun.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Melee is _so_ much more fun than brawl, but it takes a lot more skill in my opinion. You need fast fingers and you're thinking faster and more often. It's hard to distinguish between the two, but it's worth buying.

Lemon?

Smash Apprentice
DO IT! Go get the game, you wont regret it.
Also, do they let you customize the controls in Melee?
Nope

(...)but I still think playing Melee enough might give me some new ideas to use in playing Brawl
In my opinion, playing melee does help playing brawl. Its a lot faster (if you play it decently :p) so you need quick thinking (and fingers too)... Try playing melee for a while then play brawl, the game will look soo slow and you also have a lot of time to think, compared to melee.

Its also a lot more spacing/combo oriented, which will also help with brawl. If you badly space one attack in melee for instance, you will get punished for it, sometimes you'll lose a whole stock. Its all about looking for the right time to get that attack in and starting a combo. It helps playing brawl with that "dont get hit" mentality.

In conclusion...
This game is a step backwards. Why would you play the other game to improve on this one?
...playing melee WILL make you better at brawl, but not the other way around.
For me anyway...

john!

Smash Hero
It depends on how dedicated you are. If you are serious about getting better and becoming really good, Melee is definitely worth it. But if you like staying casual, then maybe not. Brawl has a much worse effect on your Melee game than Melee does on your Brawl game, because Melee is more intense, so don't be too worried about your Brawl skill declining. :)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
melee is harder to get good at, but its a fun game. and if you like fun games, you should get it.

brawl helped me get good at melee and melee helped me get good at brawl sooo

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Melee is an overall faster game than Brawl. I am starting to take up melee so I can become better in Brawl+.

The Sìrén

Smash Cadet
Well, let me offer you my humble opinion, Young Kai.

I played Melee for almost all of the 7 years it was out before Brawl (I believe it was 7), and it was an amazing game. One of my top 3 for the GC, easily. I never played competitively, but it always kept me coming back.

However, in YOUR situation, and for your motives, I'm not sure that would be an EXCELLENT decision. Fr example, you mentioned that you want to learn some new techs/styles in MELEE that you would then apply to your BRAWL game; the fact is, they're two entirely different games when it comes to style and other things. Melee is a very technical game, and very fast paced and combo friendly. Brawl, on the other hand, is essentially the opposite of Melee in style. Its more slow paced, not so much combo friendly, and relies on more..defensive measure, to put it frankly.

If you wanna pick up Melee to just enjoy the game on its own and respect it for what it is by itself, then I assure you, its a good buy. But DON'T buy it to apply styles to your Brawl game--it won't work out.

Top Bottom