• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm starting being disgusted by Melee competitive... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
Yeah, really xD. It starts to pisses me off, because of Tier whores, EVERY ****ING competitive player of Melee takes top tier, either Fox, Falco Sheik, Falcon, Ice Climbers or Marth...
I mean, come on, most char is tournament viable if you know how to play it. Mango did some awesome stuff with Mario, amsa managed to do well with Yoshi, Green Ranger did good with DK, Plup got in top 8 with samus...
The most disgusting thing about tournament for me is switching to Fox/Falco when you did tournaments before (such as Armada now taking much more time Fox than Peach, altho I like armada). :p

PS: This is not a hate topic, i still love a lot Melee, but the competitive scene is kinda a tier ***** scene :/

Last edited:

LegendarySquid

Smash Rookie
If you're realistically playing to win, then top tier characters are necessary. There's nothing wrong with trying to be the best player you can be.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Yeah, really xD. It starts to pisses me off, because of Tier whores, EVERY ****ING competitive player of Melee takes top tier, either Fox, Falco Sheik, Falcon, Ice Climbers or Marth...
I mean, come on, most char is tournament viable if you know how to play it. Mango did some awesome stuff with Mario, amsa managed to do well with Yoshi, Green Ranger did good with DK, Plup got in top 8 with samus...
The most disgusting thing about tournament for me is switching to Fox/Falco when you did tournaments before (such as Armada now taking much more time Fox than Peach, altho I like armada). :p

PS: This is not a hate topic, i still love a lot Melee, but the competitive scene is kinda a tier ***** scene :/
Your sentiments make it quite clear how you consume Melee. Mostly from a watcher/viewer POV and not actually playing it or seriously being competitive with it at tournaments.

The people you are watching have to actually play these character AND try and win tournaments. Objectively those top tiers have MUCH MUCH better chance at helping them get that win. So why handicap yourself if you don't have to? It's foolish to believe all the characters have an equal chance, or that they don't have glaring MU problems.

Last edited:

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
Every game seems sort of like that. If you take a look at the meta of each game, the original, Smash 4 or Brawl. It's all the same business, a lot of people looking to be the best with the best. Brawl was especially dominated with Meta Knights and to a less extent ICs because they were so much significantly better than the rest of the cast and no one wants to be at an automatic downfall going into tournament. Dittos are easier to do than facing a hard counter. Smash 4 isn't turning out to be much better than Brawl or Melee, some characters very quickly asserted their dominance at the top and hence a number of people flock to them. It used to be Diddy, now its Shiek. It's impossible to have a competitive community without people striving to use the best to be the best.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Top tiers are the most fun to play to a lot people since you don't feel as limited.
You really shouldn't be surprised that most people use them.

EVERY fighting game has tier whoring players. They want to win. That's entirely the point of competing

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
I simply just don't enjoy playing the lower tiers as much as the high tiers usually. Even falcon who is random 8th ish i feel very limited when i play because of how bad many of his moves are compared to characters like marth and fox. The only mid tier character im interested in is icies but you have to put in so much work with them in terms of tech skill alone why bother when they have some horrible matchups.

The other thing too is that the better characters are way more fun to play most of the time.

Last edited:

Schizophrenia

Smash Rookie
I don't think its that bad, I mean the tiers do change from time to time. At evo plup played a really solid samus, and Im pretty sure a Dr. Mario player made it pretty far. Not all hope is lost :)

GoldenMasterSword

Smash Cadet
NNID
GoldMasterSword
3DS FC
5241-2079-3500
Winning is often more fun than losing. Some people can do that with what most others perceive to be inferior characters. A select few want to prove a point with bottom tiers, but almost never really make it out of top 64. They still somehow have fun (presumably because they're playing Melee for the actual game and not the metagame we've collectively created).
I will admit, I had more fun playing Sheik than Captain Falcon because I was winning more often against my friend. I may have jumped up a tier, but does it take away from my Melee experience? No.
Armada picked up Fox because HE felt it was a necessity. Peach was too slow of a character for him to be a solo main, so he has both of them on deck against the other top 6 players. He made this decision specifically to not be a one-trick pony with a glaring Jigglypuff weakness.
At low level, sure, it won't really matter what character you use, because everyone's going to be bad. But at that super top level, you can see all the weaknesses of your character. You either overcome them with their strengths (and most importantly, yours) or you find a better matchup. That's as simple as it gets.

Last edited:

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
There is a reason we don't see scorpion master anymore. Which is Mango isn't significantly better enough than his competition anymore to use yolo bad characters.
Amsa only manages to do "well" in american tournaments cause there's no experience to gain against him. (In his own scene in japan he rarely/not at all wins tournaments. Green Ranger is a nice guy but he by no means gets the same results as top players. (he produces nice youtube content though)
And Plup didn't get in top 8 with samus, Plup beat leffen with samus. There is a difference.
Additionally your idea of viable is pretty janked, Donkey Kong is an awful character. He has a good grabgame on spaceys and a bair. He's too slow to grab a fox and way too big to grab falco. If your scene is bad you can mayb win locals with him, otherwise you just have to settle on not winning if you wanna play characters of his caliber.

If you wanna win a national you have to play fox, falco, marth, sheik (puff? falcon?)
If you wanna win a regional you can also play peach ics samus pika (yoshi?)
If you wanna win locals you can use whatever makes you happy.

I put puff in brackets because hbox is a serious contender for nationals but usually get foxed and falcon mostly because 20gx is actually improving falcons results, they're increasing in level faster than their competition (at least now) and I don't know how far they'll take falcon and I put yoshi in brackets cause amsa is the only yoshi getting these insane results and he doesn't manage to get them in his own region. I think he can take an american regional cause they're still unfamiliar but I don't think he can take his own region cause yoshi has too many glaring weaknesses I also put that he's doing well in quotation marks cause he only comes for (inter)nationals) Which means whilst he does well he still isn't even close to being a favorite to win.

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
You complain that Melee players are "tier whores", but your signature..
"Current main on sm4sh: :rosalina: (testing all char because doesn't like playing with rosa"

Delta Chae

The Observer
I smell a scrub.

In all seriousness, in tournaments there is money and pride on the line. Tournaments are not just about playing for fun (Though if you don't find tournaments fun you should not compete in them), in a tournament your first priority should be winning and nothing else. If that means picking high tier characters and using tactics that others deem as "cheap" then so be it because at the end of the day results are all that matter.

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
People will always gravitate toward the top tier characters, that's how the fighting game community is. However, there are some people that like to play their favorite character no matter what, like Amsa, Biz, Hugs, and Axe.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
My most fun character on Melee is Roy, and I dropped him for Peach.

I also like him more in Smash 4 so there is also that for me.

I can see as a spectator why it might annoy you, I does for me sometimes mostly not though.

If you think otherwise, challenge the Meta and be different.

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
LMFAO
If you're honestly mad about "tier whoring" I don't think Melee is the game for you
lmao you're playing top tier on every game, stop doing you're douchebag lmao

You complain that Melee players are "tier whores", but your signature..
"Current main on sm4sh: :rosalina: (testing all char because doesn't like playing with rosa"
Forgot to change my signature, check my mains in my profile (Lucario) dumbass. LOL
Oh and if i played Rosa it's because I actually like the character, because I play a character that I LIKE. Not because tier ****.
And If I said "doesn't like" it's just because I found her to be slow and not interesting. But I love the char itself. :)

Last edited:

yorkiesandskittles

Smash Rookie
The only reason I main Falco is because that's the first character I really stuck with in my first Smash game (Brawl), because I thought his spinning A combo looked cool :p

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
lmao you're playing top tier on every game, stop doing you're douchebag lmao

Forgot to change my signature, check my mains in my profile (Lucario) *******. LOL
Oh and if i played Rosa it's because I actually like the character, because I play a character that I LIKE. Not because tier ****.
And If I said "doesn't like" it's just because I found her to be slow and not interesting. But I love the char itself. :)

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
k, explain me if you see any top tiers i'm playing in Sm4sh or Melee, or Brawl lMAO

And there's nothing with him playing top tiers in every game
And he wasn't even acting like a douchebag lmao.
I mean, a guy who says it's nothing being a tier ***** where he plays top tier I'm sorry but it clearly looks suspicious lmao

pershona

Smash Journeyman
I mean, a guy who says it's nothing being a tier ***** where he plays top tier I'm sorry but it clearly looks suspicious lmao
There's nothing suspicious about it.
He just't isn't a scrub who thinks that maining top tiers in every game is a sin.

D

Deleted member

If you want to win, then it helps to have a good character if everyone else has one...

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
There's nothing suspicious about it.
He just't isn't a scrub who thinks that maining top tiers in every game is a sin.
lmao why can't I hold all this rage lmao

If you want to win, then it helps to have a good character if everyone else has one...
For example, Abadango got in top 8 on Sm4sh at Evo with a middle tier (Pac Man) and a high/middle too (Wario), I'm pretty sure if we'd made a fake tier list with like Kirby being top tier some people would actually play them LOL

pershona

Smash Journeyman
lmao why can't I hold all this rage lmao
You make a thread complaining about people using top tiers instead of boring low tiers with barely any good options, and i'm the one with rage?
k.
Have fun acting like a scrub because that's what you are

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'm pretty sure if we'd made a fake tier list with like Kirby being top tier some people would actually play them LOL
Well you're right, some people would, but they're most likely the least knowledgeable, and it wouldn't take long to realize the flaws Kirby has compared to the other characters.

D

Deleted member

For example, Abadango got in top 8 on Sm4sh at Evo with a middle tier (Pac Man) and a high/middle too (Wario), I'm pretty sure if we'd made a fake tier list with like Kirby being top tier some people would actually play them LOL
M2K played MK in Brawl because he felt that he was a strong character. Cue a tier list and *BOOM* MK top tier by a looooooong way.
And yes there is probably people that only play a certain character because of the tier list but that shouldn't be annoying or scummy.

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
This thread looks pretty entertaining
yep xD

You make a thread complaining about people using top tiers instead of boring low tiers with barely any good options, and i'm the one with rage?
k.
Have fun acting like a scrub because that's what you are
k.
idc

Well you're right, some people would, but they're most likely the least knowledgeable, and it wouldn't take long to realize the flaws Kirby has compared to the other characters.
I think it would take much longer if the tier list with Kirby as first would actually been done at game launch lol

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Look got4n there is still time to turn this trainwreck around and put that shovel down.

If you continue to reply the people with less constraint on this site will have some more fun with you at your expense. At this point, in this thread it you appear you've already crossed that magic line where anyone will be able to take you seriously. But perhaps your goal was just to illicit responses and cause a stir....

Tiers are what they are; it's just a bad side effect of poor balancing, not enough testing, or unforeseen exploits and emergent game mechanics. Sometimes it's even planned like in the case of Pichu or Dan from Street Fighter.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
yep xD

k.
idc

I think it would take much longer if the tier list with Kirby as first would actually been done at game launch lol
Alright... Are you here for a discussion or to make an ass out of yourself?

There's no problem choosing a top tier character, if you're playing to win, they're pretty much the way to go.

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
Alright... Are you here for a discussion or to make an *** out of yourself?

There's no problem choosing a top tier character, if you're playing to win, they're pretty much the way to go.
To be honest, I don't give a **** about what I say. It's liberty, If I wanna say Melee scene is **** because of top tier i say it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom