• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm really...really bad

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I got my *** served to me...by two people....just owned over and over again....I think I won only 1 match as Yoshi and had to basically turn to Link to win anything (got owned there too though).

I think I have strong issues with choosing the right thing for the situation.
I also roll way too much.
At one point as soon as I got up from the ledge I rolled....and the second I rolled...I knew I was dead...went into a Lucario's Fsmash.

So uhh...how do you make your...decision making.

And while I know theres a sticky...
Whats your tactic for a battle, I know it differs with the match but, what do you find works for you.

Thank you for your assistance.

D

Deleted member

Just try, when you practice, thinking about every move you make, and make sure you watch their character, not yours. I dunno what to say, vids would help, i dont know how to describe decision making it just happens.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
It's very difficult to respond to this, but I would like to offer my help when I can.
As the first replier said, make sure to watch their character like 95% of the time. Doing this, you can predict the opponent better and use the attack that your instincts tells you may catch them off-guard (your instincts will help you more and more as you gain experience).
Read up on combos with your main character and practice them in training/ watch vids, etc.
Good luck to you!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I used to have these same issues until I was introduced to my former teacher.

If Smash Sensei were a real term, this man would have been it. I learned just about every technique I have used (and still use) to dominate the relatively weak-minded players in my region.

What you need, more than practice, it seems, is to find either a teacher or a dedicated friend/partner (mine is PikaPika!--he's far too good to train with) to help up your game. There's so much you can do just on your own and honestly, the more you work at things on your own, the quicker habits get ingrained into your playstyle and the higher chance you have of adopting bad habits.

Just find someone to help you take that extra step and perhaps you can help them in return to make it a very mutually beneficial relationship.

Chaco

Never Logs In
^^^

That's what happened with me and Les.

We used to spar alot, now he's busy at college and I hardly play Yoshi.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Being able to make those types of decisions comes with experience. Being able to have multiple options planned out ahead of time, knowing which to choose, and if something goes wrong which option to pick to get out of that situation. Having a dedicated friend to play against will help you a lot, but only to a certain extent.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Just play more

most people are scrubs until they start going to tourneys so just go to tourneys and you will get better

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Just play more

most people are scrubs until they start going to tourneys so just go to tourneys and you will get better
Canadians don't have tourneys >.>....tell them Mmac.

Thanks for some of the advice, I'll see if it gets me anywhere and I'll try that "focus on your opponent more than yourself thing" =P...but looking at yoshi is so much more interesting.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Yeah, having a friend to constantly spar with really does help, especially when the two have different playstyles which can complement one another. Chaco can attest to this, lol.

And I agree, a lot of times experience has to do with knowing what to do in the right situation. Try using friendlies to experiment using different moves against different moves. Try different things. See what works. A lot of my experimental phases helped me because I tried using for example, eggs more, or more pivot grabs, and just see where things go from there. And yeah, I definitely agree with watching your opponent.

Hope this helps.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
well i felt that i sucked alot last month now im alot less suckish and i did a some things
1.stop rolling - i rolled like 5 a match cause it can catch ppl off gaurd, its a bad way to avoid moves
2.use tilts - these are much faster then smahes and can go into combos easier
3. defense - dont get hit start spot dodgin alot and notice what ur oppenent approchings are find a way to counter them, also yoshi shouldnt be as agressive as ppl play him cause his approaches are not great
4.play - if u wanna get better you have to start playing with yoshi more often dont go and change ur char if u get owned try to find a way to counter it, like if they keep hitting u with a spammy attack try to predict it
yea theres more but im tired and dont wanna think more

yoshihybrid

Smash Rookie
If you like the egg, remember the Reverse Egg Roll. If you start the roll using away from where you want to go, then spin the stick around to go the way you want before yoshi touches the ground, he starts his roll at max speed (which has a lot of priority). Basically, its like a real fighting move. <+B-> Back B to forward.

Keep in mind, every game you play a new person, one of your goals is to drive out that players quirks. 99% of the time, players have certain habbits they uncounciously do, and if you can figure them out, you can start capitalizing. This is by far the hardest part of being a good brawler.

From there, it can go to an even scarier part of the game, especially for your opponent. Once your opponent realizes you have him down to a formula, it screws with him. He now has to venture outside of his comfort zone to suprize you, and he's only got so many ways to do it. Your job, at this time, is to wear down his suprizes until he starts getting sloppy.

This does work on the computers actually, so props to that. Your job as Yoshi, or anyone else, is to create these bad senarios. Yoshi is amazingly quick in the air, so use your superior air speed to pick at him. He may try to launch attacks, so start seeing if he reacts to the same thing a similar way. Come at him from the sides, top, and even try to launch him into the air. Take the fight to the ledge to see how he reacts. Every player has a comfort zone, and a weakspot. Most pro players know their weakspot, so place them in there, and it can start messing with them something fierce.

This tactic is one of Yoshi's only hopes against Diddy, Lucario, and Marth.

As for Link and Lucario, link first. Nothing in smash outpriorities his bomb (bombs have an invincible hitbox, so don;t even try). Don't let him figure that out, or you lose your eggroll, which will help you in this matchup. Keep enough distance to make him want to use arrows, then use your eggs to show that your faster and more powerful. Next comes the boomerang, and this one can actually be pretty fun to mess with. First, jump over it. As its coming back, start your attack, an eggroll, or position for a smash. If you see him readying his f-smash, get yours ready, you tie and it knocks yoshi back enough to roll out of the second hit. If he doesn't, yor upsmash has a huge range and can set up for a juggle. The eggroll to the boomerang is fun because you reach speeds you never thought yoshi could.

Dispite his amazing d-air, link hates to be in the air. Get him up there, and tease out his down air. If you can get him to hit the ground with it, he's dead. If this happens, he may abandon it in the future, meaning your u-air can hit him much easier, ending the game.

I'm still devoloping my anti lucario game, so I'll get more advanced tactics for you.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I've always just tried to keep my eyes on the opponent, watch your spacing, KNOW your opponent. You need to study other characters to know the way they are played so you can be prepared for it. Rolling from the edge is a bad choice, especially with Yoshi. Just ledgehop airdodge if you can't back them off with eggs.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Thanks for the help so far =P.

However what do you mean Yoshiislander?
I understand that some match ups, yoshi can't be highly agressive as his opponent can shut him down well.

But against others like say Luigi,Lucas or P.T isn't it better to be in there face, since Luigi will combo you or just smack you around if you give him a chance too, Lucas has some slow moves(and some fast ones) so you can get through and P.T needs constant pressure or he can go and change his tactic...atleast this how I've been thinking about those matches.

Was that a wrong way to think T_T..

D

Deleted member

Naw luigi you wanna camp. But i disagree, everyone has their style, yoshi has such diverse approaching options(even if they arent the best), that he can be played aggressively for most matchups too.

Pt it doesnt matter, why would you care if he changed pokemon unless its squirtle. If they change go charge a smash.

And there are tournies in canada, mmac just lives on an island. =P

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the help so far =P.

However what do you mean Yoshiislander?
I understand that some match ups, yoshi can't be highly agressive as his opponent can shut him down well.

But against others like say Luigi,Lucas or P.T isn't it better to be in there face, since Luigi will combo you or just smack you around if you give him a chance too, Lucas has some slow moves(and some fast ones) so you can get through and P.T needs constant pressure or he can go and change his tactic...atleast this how I've been thinking about those matches.

Was that a wrong way to think T_T..

well what i meant above agressive is always apporaching them, so i mean like its alot ezier to punish an approach with yoshi than to approah with him cause he has bair, dash grab, egg then run in and dash attack and those r great approches. also instead of just running in when i approach i go into them slowly

it wasnt a wrong way of thinking, in some match u nedd to be in ther face but also that doesnt mean to just run at them

Mmac

Smash Lord
>.> Well im trying to get to the tourney on Nov.22nd >.>
There should be tons of Tournaments in Toronto. Yeah I just live on the island in the middle of nowhere. Have to take a 200$ Ferry (That's closed in the Winter BTW) to Vancouver where there is tournaments

Chaco

Never Logs In
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

WHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

:cry:
I've gotten busy.

I'm going to pick him back up hard this week. Fall break.

What ****s with me is I had DT mastered now I probably can't do a DR on the first try.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I've gotten busy.

I'm going to pick him back up hard this week. Fall break.

What ****s with me is I had DT mastered now I probably can't do a DR on the first try.
I can't DR on the 1000th try >.>

Hmm I guess thats something I should prep myself for.....finally be able to DR....nah that'll never happen T_T

bigman40

Smash Master
I can't DR on the 1000th try >.>

Hmm I guess thats something I should prep myself for.....finally be able to DR....nah that'll never happen T_T
Think about switching something up then to make it possible. If anyone here could waveshine in melee, then i's easily possible to DR in brawl.

D

Deleted member

Think about switching something up then to make it possible. If anyone here could waveshine in melee, then i's easily possible to DR in brawl.
I could waveshine with falco, but its different.

D

Deleted member

Waveshine: Down b then wavedash. DR: Two jumps and an attack really freakin fast.
Lol

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I got my *** served to me...by two people....just owned over and over again....I think I won only 1 match as Yoshi and had to basically turn to Link to win anything (got owned there too though).
Doesn't sound like anything new... :p

Best thing you can do is play smart. Don't do anything dumb. There's no instant win techniques we can give you that'll make you go from losing to instantly beating these people. Because I assume that they're pretty good if they're beating you that badly. Ask them what you're doing wrong.

bigman40

Smash Master
Ok, so you had buttons at different places so you didn't need to mash one twice super fast. Why not change controls to make it like that?

D

Deleted member

Dont question my logic BIGMAYN. If that is your real name. In fact, ima IM you right now.

Bwett

Smash Ace
One thing that is probably one of the single greatest tools that you can use is the knowledge of dodging and teching habits of those who are unaware of these habits. If you keep these things in mind, even though they are extremely simple, I guarantee it will help your game.

Let's say you fsmash someone on FD, you are near the left side and they fall to the left of the middle. They don't tech and are laying there. If you start running towards them, odds are, they will roll away from you, so keep running and punish that. You can apply this if they tech as well.

Now let's say they fall and they are near the ledge. Smashers tend to always roll away from the ledge to get closer to the middle, a "safer" position. You can punish that roll.

If they are in the air and you are below them, you can do two things. Throw an egg and as you throw the egg, jump up towards them. They will dodge the egg and you punish the dodge with uair. You can also jump. Instinctively, they will airdodge your attack, but all you do is jump and wait for the dodge, then punish.

Also, if they are in the air, once they get alittle closer to the ground, do a charged hyphen smash. Once again, they will probably try to dodge, so hold it until the dodge is over.

Now, these are the simplest of habits. Once you get into more competitive play, then smashers know these habits and try to break them. They rarely ever do the same thing twice. Hold that to heart.

Now for this example, I will use my past tournament match against a Falco. Now, although it is said that Falco can be CG'ed, I cant do it (and don't believe it can be done). You grab release and as you go for the next grab, he spot dodges. So what you do is grab release, run towards him and as he does spotdodge to get out of CG, you pivot grab behind him. Now, at this point once he is grab released, there are several options flying around. He can either spotdodge, attack, or spotdodge and roll. Here is where you have to guess. If you guess he spotdodges, you get another pivot grab. If you guess attack and he tries, you get another dashing grab. If you guess the spotdodge and roll, you will have to predict the roll and punish with either a smash or another grab depending on the direction.

When you boil it down, it is all a game of rock paper scissors. In simple terms, you guess whether they will dodge, attack, or wait. Most situations come down to this game. Dodge beats attack, attack beats wait, and wait beats dodge. Keep these elements in your head at all times and I know you will definitely improve.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
One thing that is probably one of the single greatest tools that you can use is the knowledge of dodging and teching habits of those who are unaware of these habits. If you keep these things in mind, even though they are extremely simple, I guarantee it will help your game.

Let's say you fsmash someone on FD, you are near the left side and they fall to the left of the middle. They don't tech and are laying there. If you start running towards them, odds are, they will roll away from you, so keep running and punish that. You can apply this if they tech as well.

Now let's say they fall and they are near the ledge. Smashers tend to always roll away from the ledge to get closer to the middle, a "safer" position. You can punish that roll.

If they are in the air and you are below them, you can do two things. Throw an egg and as you throw the egg, jump up towards them. They will dodge the egg and you punish the dodge with uair. You can also jump. Instinctively, they will airdodge your attack, but all you do is jump and wait for the dodge, then punish.

Also, if they are in the air, once they get alittle closer to the ground, do a charged hyphen smash. Once again, they will probably try to dodge, so hold it until the dodge is over.

Now, these are the simplest of habits. Once you get into more competitive play, then smashers know these habits and try to break them. They rarely ever do the same thing twice. Hold that to heart.

Now for this example, I will use my past tournament match against a Falco. Now, although it is said that Falco can be CG'ed, I cant do it (and don't believe it can be done). You grab release and as you go for the next grab, he spot dodges. So what you do is grab release, run towards him and as he does spotdodge to get out of CG, you pivot grab behind him. Now, at this point once he is grab released, there are several options flying around. He can either spotdodge, attack, or spotdodge and roll. Here is where you have to guess. If you guess he spotdodges, you get another pivot grab. If you guess attack and he tries, you get another dashing grab. If you guess the spotdodge and roll, you will have to predict the roll and punish with either a smash or another grab depending on the direction.

When you boil it down, it is all a game of rock paper scissors. In simple terms, you guess whether they will dodge, attack, or wait. Most situations come down to this game. Dodge beats attack, attack beats wait, and wait beats dodge. Keep these elements in your head at all times and I know you will definitely improve.
Common sense is something a lot of people need good **** bwett =)

About the falco CG just practice it and you will be fine and once you learn it you will beat every falco you play. Dats why I am the Falco Killer lol.

Top Bottom