• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Im pretty scared of the WII U

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Considering a lot of us cant buy a WII U and we wasted most of are money on the 3DS version, now almost everyone is going to switch from 3DS to WII U meaning that the 3DS will be dead, the only thing that the 3DS version has that WII U version doesn't have that is more funner and better is smash run, some maps, and that the 3DS is portable, meaning that you can, SMASH ANYWHERE, SMASH EVERYWHERE!, but on the WII U, you can only SMASH in a local. Why couldn't the 3DS have the bosses like metal face and ridley? im sure that wouldn't take a lot of data to put into.

Last edited:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
The 3DS is still a portable system, meaning it can't hold as much data as a home console or PC made in the same era as it. Also There's like 3-4 million Wii U owners when the 3DS has what 20 million owners. Sure the Wii U will be the definitive version for Smash 4 but there's still gonna be lots playing on the 3DS, especially on the advertised "on the go" occasions (which happens often in today's society).

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
The 3DS is still a portable system, meaning it can't hold as much data as a home console or PC made in the same era as it. Also There's like 3-4 million Wii U owners when the 3DS has what 20 million owners. Sure the Wii U will be the definitive version for Smash 4 but there's still gonna be lots playing on the 3DS, especially on the advertised "on the go" occasions (which happens often in today's society).
Random question, but don't you think Shulk's time attacks are hard to control? Im saying this since it shows your a Shulk user, the thing that's hard to control with him is the attacks, sure they're powerful but they can easily be dodged by a fast sonic or little mac, what im trying to say is, when you use a slash attack or a forward charge and you attack, it takes around a second to move or do another attack, in that time limit people can easily grab you and then rinse and repeat, do you experience this?

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Random question, but don't you think Shulk's time attacks are hard to control? Im saying this since it shows your a Shulk user, the thing that's hard to control with him is the attacks, sure they're powerful but they can easily be dodged by a fast sonic or little mac, what im trying to say is, when you use a slash attack or a forward charge and you attack, it takes around a second to move or do another attack, in that time limit people can easily grab you and then rinse and repeat, do you experience this?
Yeah those types of attacks have quite the ending lag which is why I instead go for aerials (particularly Nair, which has no landing lag) and grabs to follow up with as an alternative. The thing about Shulk's attacks is that, aside from the obvious sword difference, he functions very similarly to Ike, someone I only dabbled with back in Brawl, who is a naturally slow yet powerful character. Shulk in contrast is mostly defensive overall, but can act offensive or even rushdown when you activate his Jump and Speed Arts.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
3DS? Be dead? Ha! :laugh:
Seriously, it'll take a while for the 3DS to be dead, as there are far more 3DS owners than WiiU owners...

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
For the record, the 3ds has sold nearly 4x as many units as the wiiu. wiiu has a bad vibe on it right now, so a lot of people wont touch it.

I have one and kinda wish i didnt get it

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I find this argument rather silly. All of them. I assume that you all are smash fans. Smash Bros always releases on home consoles. ONE game per console. You want the game, you buy the console. Why is the Wii U treated so differently this time?

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
The only thing about the 3ds version that will change are the amount of people who are actually good at the game still playing the handheld, the competitive scene will die from it but that's about it

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
How come?
The gamepad is annoying to use and pointless 95% of the time, theres next to no games for it because nobody except nintendo are making any good games for it (save one) or have any intentions of making a game for it BECAUSE of the gamepad, the console doesnt even remotely compare to the xbox360 or ps3...which are much older systems...and im comparing them both on graphics and processor speed since the wiiu gets bogged down REALLY easy, and since it seems to have a little of everything in it the damn thing has no gaming focus.

The gamepad should have been an optional side controller that you could get multiples of and use it for party games like Mario Party. The fact that its mandatory and most games prevent you from even using a normal controller is irritating as hell since you never use its features.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Why people ignore the fact the 3DS base is massively bigger than the Wii U base? Smash 3DS is NOT going to be dead after Smash Wii U is released.

AirFair

Marth tho
There would naturally be WAY more 3ds owners because of the difference in price first off, so I don't think that it will be dead anytime soon.

Deadlybroth

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rngo1214
3DS FC
3265-5101-5866
Where is everyone getting that the 3ds had 20 million units in the wild? Last time I checked, there were over 43 million reported by Nintendo. Even so, it's pretty safe to say the 3ds version isn't going anywhere.

Spatman

Smash Ace
The gamepad is annoying to use and pointless 95% of the time, theres next to no games for it because nobody except nintendo are making any good games for it (save one) or have any intentions of making a game for it BECAUSE of the gamepad, the console doesnt even remotely compare to the xbox360 or ps3...which are much older systems...and im comparing them both on graphics and processor speed since the wiiu gets bogged down REALLY easy, and since it seems to have a little of everything in it the damn thing has no gaming focus.

The gamepad should have been an optional side controller that you could get multiples of and use it for party games like Mario Party. The fact that its mandatory and most games prevent you from even using a normal controller is irritating as hell since you never use its features.
I think that for a fan of Super Smash Bros. series, and user of a forum dedicated to this series, the release of the definitive edition of the new Super Smash Bros. game should be enough to wish a Wii U

wolfos144

Smash Cadet
It depends on what your goals are. If you just want to have fun messing around with friends or playing for glory, then of course the 3ds will still be viable for that. If you are trying to play competitively, then yeah, most competitive players will shift to the Wii U and most tournaments will be played on the Wii U. So, the 3ds will be dead for the competitive scene. But if you don't play competitively, then it absolutely won't be dead.

rhysmorgan

Smash Rookie
NNID
rhysm94
For the record, the 3ds has sold nearly 4x as many units as the wiiu. wiiu has a bad vibe on it right now, so a lot of people wont touch it.

I have one and kinda wish i didnt get it
Actually, it's recovered astonishingly well this last quarter thanks largely to Mario Kart 8. Smash Bros for Wii U is going to shift a ton of systems too.

rhysmorgan

Smash Rookie
NNID
rhysm94

Absolutely untrue. The Wii U is much better in terms of base hardware than Xbox 360 and PS3. It has at least twice the RAM available in the retail units and many, many developers praise it highly in terms of RAM, GPU and ease to develop for when compared to the 360 and PS3.
The reason the GamePad is the controller given to everyone is that Nintendo and third parties can guarantee that it's a control scheme everyone who owns a Wii U is going to have. It's like the Kinect in that until Microsoft started shipping the Xbox One without Kinect, developers could guarantee that anyone who owned an Xbox One owned a Kinect and could include support for it in their games without worrying about only selling to a very small, niche audience. Alas, Microsoft pretty much killed the Kinect by unbundling it so soon, and now there's literally zero justification for buying one or including support for it in their games.
You're also contradicting yourself when you state that games require you to use the GamePad but you never use the GamePad's features and that it's pointless. That's not true. If a game doesn't use it, you can almost always use the Wii U Pro Controller instead. Hell, even some games which DO use the GamePad's features also support the Wii U Pro Controller. Super Mario 3D World, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2 - all use the GamePad in different ways, but you can play without it.
Finally, the reason you can't use more than one GamePad normally - two in very specific circumstances - is because streaming even compressed 854x480 video that results in zero input lag takes up a hell of a lot of bandwidth and GPU power too, though bandwidth is by far the most important factor. Either you focus on delivering good quality, high frame rate, low input lag video to one GamePad or you provide atrociously compressed, laggy, low frame rate video to three or four. It's not a viable option.

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
Why people ignore the fact the 3DS base is massively bigger than the Wii U base? Smash 3DS is NOT going to be dead after Smash Wii U is released.
Just because more units of the portable version are sold in comparison to the home console version, doesn't mean that Smash Bros. fans aren't going to play the home console lag-less oriented 4-8 player game on the Wii U more than the 4 inch screen laggy multiplayer 3DS version with limited play modes. The only Smash Bros. fans who won't play Smash are those who don't have the resources to get a Wii U and the game.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Just because more units of the portable version are sold in comparison to the home console version, doesn't mean that Smash Bros. fans aren't going to play the home console lag-less oriented 4-8 player game on the Wii U than the 4 inch screen laggy multiplayer 3DS version with limited play modes. The only Smash Bros. fans who won't play Smash are those who don't have the resources to get a Wii U and the game.
Local player lags?

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Just because more units of the portable version are sold in comparison to the home console version, doesn't mean that Smash Bros. fans aren't going to play the home console lag-less oriented 4-8 player game on the Wii U than the 4 inch screen laggy multiplayer 3DS version with limited play modes. The only Smash Bros. fans who won't play Smash are those who don't have the resources to get a Wii U and the game.
You are right, fans ARE going to play the Wii U version.... many will play both. This does not change the cold hard fact that the Wii U sales are lackluster.

Being a Smash fan does NOT, by default, mean that any portable release should be viewed as an abomination "because dhuur Smash has always dhuur dhuur been a console only game" ... hmm, perhaps Smash on a GBA or a GB Color would just not have been viable (lolz duh) The only reason I am buying a Pii U is because of Smash, and I already own a 3ds xl and bought smash 3ds on launch day.

fanboys < *

mahkan

Smash Cadet
Holy ****, the Wii U hate....
I really don't see the reason for the Wii U hate. Sure the Wii U may not have the biggest library of games, but I am fine with that considering I've mainly only seen a ton of third party games for the Xbox One and PS4.

Last edited:

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
I really don't see the reason for the Wii U hate. Sure the Wii U may not have the biggest library of games, but I am fine with that considering I've mainly only seen a ton of third party games for the Xbox One and PS4.
Not to mention what games are on the Wii U trump most games on other consoles.

Dark Dr. Pink-Gold Pit Jr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bloxxed
Considering a lot of us cant buy a WII U and we wasted most of are money on the 3DS version, now almost everyone is going to switch from 3DS to WII U meaning that the 3DS will be dead, the only thing that the 3DS version has that WII U version doesn't have that is more funner and better is smash run, some maps, and that the 3DS is portable, meaning that you can, SMASH ANYWHERE, SMASH EVERYWHERE!, but on the WII U, you can only SMASH in a local. Why couldn't the 3DS have the bosses like metal face and ridley? im sure that wouldn't take a lot of data to put into.
Your argument contradicts itself. If a lot of you can't switch to the Wii U version, then that same lot of you will still be playing the 3DS version.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Wii U is the best console right now. Anyone who owns a PS4/XB1 complaining how they can't buy a Wii U... please smack yourself.

Smash was always going to be best on Wii U. Don't upgrade to a new smart phone that you don't need, save a little money every week on those things little things you buy, donate plasma once. Save lives and earn a Wii U for $200 refurbished from Nintendo themselves.

It should be manageable.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
3DS sold 20 million.. Wii U sold 6 million... Nuff said.
while that may be true (I dont know the current numbers right now) the 3DS has been out MUCH longer as well as most 3DS sales came later on in its life.

The Wii U version will live longer but yes, for the time being more people will be playing Smash 3DS

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
while that may be true (I dont know the current numbers right now) the 3DS has been out MUCH longer as well as most 3DS sales came later on in its life.

The Wii U version will live longer but yes, for the time being more people will be playing Smash 3DS
Yeah, I get kind of tired of hearing that. The 3DS has a year and half give or take over the Wii U and it pretty much has the market all to itself. The only real things it has going against it are tablets and the Vita, and for handheld full game experiences the 3DS is by far the most popular. On the other hand, the Wii U has to share the market with two other major consoles.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
Keep the 3DS for when you are on the pooper and the Wii U Gamepad is too far away from the system to play.

I'm not playing video games when I'm outside, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Keep the 3DS for when you are on the pooper and the Wii U Gamepad is too far away from the system to play.

I'm not playing video games when I'm outside, but that's just me.
Yeah I don't understand the appeal of "on the go" especially for games like smash. I have to have full concentration for that. The only place I would find "Smash on the go" viable is at a con of some sort where more people are likely to have the game with them as well.

Don't get me wrong I love handhelds but when i'm playing the 3DS it's 95% of the time at home.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
I understand Nintendo is making the Wii U more better is because it can hold more data and graphics and they're trying to get more buys for the Wii U, couldn't they focus on the 3DS a little more equal to the 3ds? like they make little updates, the graphics wont change but they might add news things like different stages and modes, they can just put updates on the eShop and it would take a certain amount of data blocks to get the update, then it would carry more on the 3ds itself, like a SSB4 only 3DS to desperates like me.

Last edited:

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
3DS version will be played still but it's fairly obvious the Wii U version is going to be the preferred version...3DS felt like a demo...compared to the Wii U version.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
I understand Nintendo is making the Wii U more better is because it can hold more data and graphics and they're trying to get more buys for the Wii U, couldn't they focus on the 3DS a little more equal to the 3ds? like they make little updates, the graphics wont change but they might add news things like different stages and modes, they can just put updates on the eShop and it would take a certain amount of data blocks to get the update, then it would carry more on the 3ds itself, like a SSB4 only 3DS to desperates like me.
If I was only getting the 3DS version id be mainly happy alone that all the characters are in both and they all play 100% the same to the Wii U. Just saying that alone surprised me when playing the 3DS version. You have to really face that the 3DS game will never be the Wii U game. The Wii U is way out of its league. As well as the fact nintendo focused on this one because they need to sell more Wii Us and that Smash Bros was made for home consoles. The 3DS game is just a bonus and a way to sell copies to a larger audience.

But since for example Mewtwo is on both systems it is likely the 3DS will see other DLC like stages or characters. Just probably again less then the Wii U version.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Sure the Wii U may not have the biggest library of games
see a lot of peolpe saying that Wii U don't have alot of games.

PS4 and XBox doesn't have alot of games either. The Xbox is the only company good with third party, Playstion and Nintendo only rely on first party's and exclusives.

Xbox has 298 games
PS4 has 338 games
The ****ing Wii U has 457 games, plus 121 Virtual Console games (North America).
Oh and the Wii U is the only console right now that is backward combatable with Wii games,
and the Wii had a whooping 1222 games

That means Wii U in total have of 1800 games in total.
Yeah, in my opinion, I think the Wii U is the best console in the 8th generation of consoles.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_software

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I find this argument rather silly. All of them. I assume that you all are smash fans. Smash Bros always releases on home consoles. ONE game per console. You want the game, you buy the console. Why is the Wii U treated so differently this time?
It's the reason I own a Wii U and it was the reason I purchased a Wii.

Top Bottom