• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm not very good at Smash

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
After hours of analyzing matches, adapting, facing 3000 plus opponents, going to locals, and playing for days on end.

I don't got it.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
After hours of analyzing matches, adapting, facing 3000 plus opponents, going to locals, and playing for days on end.

I don't got it.
It's mostly about attitude. The hours you've played, the opponents you've played, and the locals you've attended are all not for naught. You have come a long way from where you were before. You might not be aware of it, similarly to the way you might not be aware of how much someone you know has changed. I'm not one who prevents people from giving up. If they want to give up, they're more than welcome to. I'm just here to give advice.

The first step to achieving a goal is to have one. Don't aim for one that's unrealistic or currently out of reach. Start small and work from there. The second step is to play to learn. If you play to learn, it won't matter how many times you lose as long as you're adapting. The more you adapt, the less likely you'll lose. Third is based on the second. In order to adapt, you must develop good strategies. Not all strategies work equally, just like using certain medications serve certain purposes.

You got this because you know you do. By the way, U-238 is a pretty cool NNID.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
It's mostly about attitude. The hours you've played, the opponents you've played, and the locals you've attended are all not for naught. You have come a long way from where you were before. You might not be aware of it, similarly to the way you might not be aware of how much someone you know has changed. I'm not one who prevents people from giving up. If they want to give up, they're more than welcome to. I'm just here to give advice.

The first step to achieving a goal is to have one. Don't aim for one that's unrealistic or currently out of reach. Start small and work from there. The second step is to play to learn. If you play to learn, it won't matter how many times you lose as long as you're adapting. The more you adapt, the less likely you'll lose. Third is based on the second. In order to adapt, you must develop good strategies. Not all strategies work equally, just like using certain medications serve certain purposes.

You got this because you know you do. By the way, U-238 is a pretty cool NNID.
Honestly, I expect everyone to ignore the NNID. As for personal gameplay. I analyze my replays, and I see a lot of habits and errors in my play.

My spacing is atrocious, my punishes sub optimal, even if they land, and I have issues with ledge game, as well as general struggles in making reads; a death sentence for a Fox and Falco user.

Biggest issue is that I have little means of dealing with every habit simultaneously

Last edited:

Charey

Smash Apprentice
Don't try to deal with every habit at once, pick an area that you seem to be lacking in and focus on improving in that area, do some matches only paying attention to that one area.

You will get better over time just by eliminating bad habits one at a time, after you have the new thing down you don't have to think about it anymore letting you put more mental effort into reads or new techs.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Well, where do I go to learn not to do these things?

Cyro_

Smash Cadet
It will take time to discipline yourself to break those habits. Try going to training and just push your opponent off the stage and work on edge game. Play at half speed if you have to so you can get the timing down and see when to execute your inputs. Another tip is don't discourage yourself take it slow and learn at your own pace it doesn't have to be something you pick up in one day everyone is different. Just practice practice practice and you will be able to do everything as if it was second nature.

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
My best advice is to have other people watch your games. Go to smashcords.com and join a character-specific discord and send replays to people more experienced with your character. Send games where you win and you lose, so they can point out differences that influenced the outcome.

Chances are that you're pretty good; your next step is to put the pieces of your puzzle together in a way that is coherent and works with your style.

Top Bottom