• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm not understanding the excitement for the midnight tournaments...

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I just don't understand myself, so I figured I'd try to turn this into a discussion for however long it lasts. Why are people so gosh-darn excited about staying at the GS/EB release tournaments? I mean, once you get to GS/EB and buy the game, wouldn't you wanna run home like the Brawl deprived manics you know you are, and play everything in the game instead of having the game upon pick-up and deciding to wait in another line playing against others with pre-set rules, and then after you've gotten your turn, you then have to get back to of the line/re-register for entry to play another round?

If they were letting people have some sort of tournament maybe a week before the game's release (too late now), then I'd see some merit in going to a GS/EB store and participating in such event...the game isn't out yet. Like E for All, or that follow-up event in Japan. But if you go to pick-up the game...why not go home and play it the way YOU want, all you want for as long as you want?

KungLao

Smash Rookie
A) The tournament is a few hours before the game can be released (mine is anyway).

B) Sucky rules or not, it's at least worth a try to get the game for free.

sv3

Smash Apprentice
The tournament is at midnight, isn't it? I can pick up my copy at midnight, or whenever I get through the line. Also, in my area the tournament is only for people who pre-ordered. I wouldn't want to stick around playing some short tournament just to win some trinket and have the opportunity to waste my time going to some other state to continue playing, especially when I could be at my apartment playing Brawl with my friends.

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
The tourney starts at 9:00 the game is released at 12:01. besides it's a toruney, it's fun. plus even though it unlikley any of us will go all the way it's still fun it think about it, and try our luck.

BlackFoxPariah

Smash Apprentice
The tournament is a few hours before midnight that night. Go ahead and check gamestop's website.

It's true. So you play while you wait, and then get the game.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
first off, they won't ship it to me till the tenth so i'll get to play early, second off, even if i got it the ninth the only way i could play it at midnight is using going to the gamestop tourney as an excuse to my parents.

TBL_Luis

Smash Apprentice
Itis a few hours before midnight, not after midnight, that would be illogical and dumb for them to hold it after, no one would compete and the employees would want to go home

For the exact time, you'd have to call your Gamestop as it is different for every location

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
I see no point in my local tournament. It's at midnight, the rules suck, and even if I win, the next round of brackets is 4 hours away in Dayton. So forget, I'll just take my Brawl and then play in Vidjo's tournament next time around.

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
The tournament at my GS is at 9 or 9:30 iirc. I'm not going, but a friend of mine is. I'm not going because my flight lands at 8.. then I'm going to dinner. If you have nothing to do around 9 o'clock, why wouldn't you join the tourney? Hey, if you win, you don't have to pay for your copy of Brawl.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I guess this only really applies to some (not all) stores. The GS and EB at my mall won't be doing this at all because the entire mall closes at 10 pm. And some stores sound like they won't start the event soon enough before midnight.

Ced The Lad

Smash Apprentice
People have already mentioned the early start time for the tourney, and that really is a big reason why I'm excited. More time will pass faster because of how early it is. Realistically speaking, since I live so close to my Gamestop I'll probably play my PSP for one hour in line and then get in the door at 9 for the tourney.

The other reason for it is basically the scene itself. Seeing a bunch of fans of smash at the store makes some good conversation and you might even exchange a brawl code or two. I've learned not to underestimate these certain gatherings. During finals at college, I brought melee to pass the time using the vacant TV in our commons. In a little bit over an hour we packed the TV area with fans and non-gamers alike. We had some people asking about the game while others exchanged information in order to meet at tournaments. Overall everyone had fun.

The experience itself will be worth it, I think.

Ti11erTheKi11er

Smash Apprentice
The Reason i am excited is cause i want to attempt to hopefully win the first round if so then i got time to practice for round 2 and going far in the tournament would be amazing!

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
1.) Bragging Rights -
"You know, I won a Brawl tourney in Portland (ME) last weekend."

2.) FIVE GRAND.

Top Bottom