• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Im new to this game........

II_HaZzA_II

Smash Rookie
Im practically new to this game its my brothers i used to play it with him alot but got bored.

Im now starting again and i have been playing for 2 days now and off some other site they said fox is the best but hes hard to get used to so i thought i will try him and i have been for the past 2 days and im just starting to get there however i can only just beat falco on lvl 9 computer does this mean i suck and i should choose someone else??

So can someon just lay down everything i need to do to get good with fox?

or if i should change character who to.
Thanks

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Hi, and welcome to SWF :)

Do not fight lvl 9 computers, first of all. They are predictable and you'll start to play their weaknesses after a while, that is, you'll find a trick that works and use only that against them. However, against a human opponent, one trick will only work so many times. If you've only got one method of approach, and your opponent figures our how to get around it, your goose is cooked :p

Secondly, watch this video. Anything labeled as important or useful, you should know how to do. In fact, over time, you should be able to fluently do anything in that video (by over time I mean a good 6 months or so). Get it a bit at a time.

Thirdly (is that a word? >_>), check out Cunning Kitsune's Complete Guide to Fox McCloud. It's a fantastic guide, really, and will give you an idea as to how Fox is played and what you'll need to be able to do to play him. You may want to check out some Fox vs. Other matches too (you can find plenty on youtube. Try finding matches by pros). The speed and dexterity shown by good Fox players is pretty cool to watch, and it'll also give you an idea of how fast Fox is played.

Other then that...well, I'd suggest you try and find some players in your area. Trust me, the learning process of Smash goes much faster when you've got people to enjoy it with and to teach you.

Good luck ^_^

II_HaZzA_II

Smash Rookie
Dude you are a legend...

i have my brother and his mates who play it they both are pretty solid at the game so i can play them but first i need to get the basics down.

if i cant play agaisnt lvl 9 computers and there no one to play around how do i practise?

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Practice against level 1s or 4s if you must. Don't acualy play "against" them, persay. I can't stress this enough. Just practice techniques against them, for example, take entire stocks with shffled nairs (the video tells you what that is :p) just to practice the timing for it, once you can do shffls pretty fluently.

Acually, I'm sure you have more then one controller if your brother plays, right? Plug in player 2, give him a character, pick Fox for yourself. Go on Final Destination and just leave player 2 standing there while you practice that stuff from the Advanced How to Play video (abbreviated AHTP on the boards here btw, just in case you see it).

I'd suggest training mode, but the problem is theres no C-stick in training mode, and I almost guarantee you'll be using it in games. It's got all kinds of neat little tricks you can use it for, for example, crouch canceling (Thats covered in the video too) without acualy crouching, thus you can still move around, and getting smash attacks out as fast as they can be (without charging them. You won't be using charged smashes very much with Fox. You want to keep moving with him).

So yea, I suggest practicing all that technical stuff against an idle human player in an infinite time melee. If you can't do that for some reason, put a level one computer in and do you best to avoid him, though his constant jabbing at you will get very annoying while you're trying to learn stuff.

atheist

Smash Apprentice
Yea that basically covers it. cunnings fox guide really is good and you should read it through a couple of times even though it is long. Also realize that it really does take time to get these things down even though you may learn to do your first wavedash really fast it takes time to get them automatic so dont get frustrated.Now i know lots of people hate hearing this but fox combo vids are fun to watch and can really get you excited to go practice tech skills so you might want to check those out

Smash Journeyman
Practice against level 1s or 4s if you must. Don't acualy play "against" them, persay. I can't stress this enough. Just practice techniques against them, for example, take entire stocks with shffled nairs (the video tells you what that is :p) just to practice the timing for it, once you can do shffls pretty fluently.

Acually, I'm sure you have more then one controller if your brother plays, right? Plug in player 2, give him a character, pick Fox for yourself. Go on Final Destination and just leave player 2 standing there while you practice that stuff from the Advanced How to Play video (abbreviated AHTP on the boards here btw, just in case you see it).

I'd suggest training mode, but the problem is theres no C-stick in training mode, and I almost guarantee you'll be using it in games. It's got all kinds of neat little tricks you can use it for, for example, crouch canceling (Thats covered in the video too) without acualy crouching, thus you can still move around, and getting smash attacks out as fast as they can be (without charging them. You won't be using charged smashes very much with Fox. You want to keep moving with him).

So yea, I suggest practicing all that technical stuff against an idle human player in an infinite time melee. If you can't do that for some reason, put a level one computer in and do you best to avoid him, though his constant jabbing at you will get very annoying while you're trying to learn stuff.

well said my APPRENTICE!:laugh:

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Playing computers will in no way improve your game other than helping you get the basic controls down, which I assume you've already done.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
If you don't have a lot of player comptetition (especially with fox) just practice techniques against a level 1. Don't focus on actually trying to fight them just work on getting speed. Work on wavedash, shffl, waveshine, drillshine, grab combos, mind games, cancels, SHDL, fakes, whatever. Technical speed is so important with fox that you can actually gain quite a lot of skill just by knowing everything you can do with him without playing against anyone. I probably tripled my skill just working on his technical game. Spent probably about 8 hours just on that recently and there is still a lot I can get better at too.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I would be careful with the suggestion of working on mindgames against a CPU. Mindgames come more from experience with multiple real life people. Yes you will soon enough stomp your bros so hard they will quit, however you should try to attend some local tournies to get experience outside of your family.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Well, it is nice to develop a stratagy, and a character to kill a counter, although fox has no true counters (why I play him >:) ) make sure you have someone else you are good with...

Say there is a marth you meet, who is really good at mindgaming you into a grab, and chaingrabbing you to death. (up throw Up throw up throw, tipper, kencombo)

Next game, you pull out a really godly luigi, and he cannot chain throw you...

That is why it is good to have more than one character you are good with, but it is okay for one of them to be your "mains"

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
by mind game I mainly mean something that would look cool and potentially be confusing, like, say, empty shffls or waveshine back and forth instead of dash dance.

Obviously there is no way to see if it's effective until you try it on somebody. but when you do try it out you might as well make sure you can do it.

GoldenArwing

Smash Rookie
You sound to be in the same sort of situation as me. I recetly recovered my game cube equipment to use on my wii and remembered how wonderful SSBM is. So im now in the process of rehabilitating myself.

Read the guides (stickies) at the top of the thread for starters. Then practice the tecniques in training (dont expect to get it the first time) mode with the speed turned down to 1/2. Then as you improve at them turn the speed up.

Top Bottom