• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS I'm more invested in the 3DS version of this game

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
That is the spirit, think of it as a demo. If you really love the game, you think you will be playing it everyday for a long time, go ahead and buy a Wii U (they will be dirt cheap 2014 Holiday Season). If the game is just fun, occasionally play it on the 3DS as you normally would and don't worry about the Wii U version.

Hey, at least you get exclusive stages that most of the hardcore fan-base will be missing out on. :awesome:
Here's hopin' we get a Virtual Boy stage.

...What? I think it's a neat idea...

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
5 more characters may be added to project M, also it will eventually have more stages (it already has a lot more than brawl). SSB4 will actually probably have less stages and characters than project M, and project M will also be more balanced than SSB4. Hopefully SSB4 can push balance patches though so that may not matter.
That's pure assumption when it comes to the balance. We have yet to see. Besides, aren't there still tiers for Project M (I may be mistaken on this though)? When it comes to stages and characters, the P:M team can only put so much in at once. :5 more characters" may not cut it for a game that COULD potentially support a roster of 50+ characters (that also add more variety if Villager and Rosalina & Luma are any to point at). There also seem to be quite a few stages being added in, on top of possibly returning Melee/Brawl stages. Let's not forget the stages themselves are much more vast in content and versatility. I'm not saying Smash 4 is better than Project M, but it certainly has a lot more content to offer at the very least.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I keep up with GBAtemp so I'm pretty damn sure only the vWii has been hacked. Also, yeah whatever SSB4 can have more characters, but if they aren't properly balanced and no one is very fun to play what is the point? Not to say they won't be fun to play. I'm just trying to emphasize that I hope SSB4 focuses on mechanics over quantity.
Honestly, balance is less of a issue this time around, because patching is confirmed.

That means the chances of us having another obvious super top tier beast like Meta Knight is very low.

And even if that doesn't happen, hacks exist.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
5 more characters may be added to project M, also it will eventually have more stages (it already has a lot more than brawl). SSB4 will actually probably have less stages and characters than project M, and project M will also be more balanced than SSB4. Hopefully SSB4 can push balance patches though so that may not matter.
...And this is why people still make jokes about competitive Smash fans...

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Whatever, I'm a P:M fanboy and SSB4 is stealing all my hype. I am still pumped for smash on the bus though.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Given the rate we're getting characters at, my guess of 51 sounds more and more logical.

Something about that number "50" is magical.

Like we get something HUGE at it.

Just think... 50 characters...

...all the 16 confirmed Brawl characters back...

...the 4 confirmed newcomers....

...the 23 other unconfirmed Brawl characters that are all most likely coming back...

...the 3 all but confirmed other newcomers we're gonna get (Miis, Pac-Man, Little Mac)...

...Mewtwo and possibly Roy returning (maybe a sliver of hope for Pichu)...

...plus the other veterans we could get...

...IT SHALL BE A GLORIOUS ROSTER!!!

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Given the rate we're getting characters at, my guess of 51 sounds more and more logical.

Something about that number "50" is magical.

Like we get something HUGE at it.

Just think... 50 characters...

...all the 16 confirmed Brawl characters back...

...the 4 confirmed newcomers....

...the 23 other unconfirmed Brawl characters that are all most likely coming back...

...the 3 all but confirmed other newcomers we're gonna get (Miis, Pac-Man, Little Mac)...

...Mewtwo and possibly Roy returning (maybe a sliver of hope for Pichu)...

...plus the other veterans we could get...

...IT SHALL BE A GLORIOUS ROSTER!!!
16 confirmed Brawl newcomers?

Some characters like Ike are simply not coming back, at least not before DLC.

How are Miis Pac-Man and Little Mac all but confirmed?

Roy is not coming back. Gotta follow that FE rule: Marth and the new main character sword guy.

You are going to be so disappointed.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Yeah, I have also not heard of this pac-man, little mac, mii leak.

Morbi

Scavenger
16 confirmed Brawl newcomers?

Some characters like Ike are simply not coming back, at least not before DLC.

How are Miis Pac-Man and Little Mac all but confirmed?

Roy is not coming back. Gotta follow that FE rule: Marth and the new main character sword guy.

You are going to be so disappointed.
I truly hope that this is a pathetic attempt at a troll. :urg:

Morbi

Scavenger
Hope all you want. I stand by what I said.

You still haven't actually given a reason why my points were invalid by the way. Kinda the point of forum discussion ya know?
That wasn't what you were asking. I thought that you wanted me to re-phrase my post. I was mostly referring to the arbitrary Fire Emblem "rule" and your assurance that Ike would not be coming back prior to DLC though.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
That wasn't what you were asking. I thought that you wanted me to re-phrase my post. I was mostly referring to the arbitrary Fire Emblem "rule" and your assurance that Ike would not be coming back prior to DLC though.
Oh, I just don't respond well to being called a goblin like creature that lives under a bridge. I don't even like going under the bridge when I'm travelling.

The FE rule is proven. Nintendo has no reason to put in Ike, too new to be classic too old to be marketable. Same reason Roy didn't make Brawl.

Commander

Smash Ace
Oh, I just don't respond well to being called a goblin like creature that lives under a bridge. I don't even like going under the bridge when I'm travelling.

The FE rule is proven. Nintendo has no reason to put in Ike, too new to be classic too old to be marketable. Same reason Roy didn't make Brawl.
Ike is the only FE lord that isn't Marth to have 2 games and a descendant in a 3rd. Ike is also the only Lord that represents the mercenary class(Hector isn't important enough). Intelligent Systems feels Ike is one of the most important FE lords, otherwise I can't see any other reason Priam exists. Just because Melee and Brawl both only had 2 FE reps does not mean that is a trend. Melee had 5 Mario reps Brawl had 4, and Sm4sh has 5 again. The only trend in Smash Bros rosters is that those who have returned multiple times continue to return. Roy didn't make it in to Brawl because he doesn't have many unique features and he isn't important enough to the FE franchise.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If you don't think Ike is going to be playable, you're an idiot.

He might be the most wanted Brawl veteran not confirmed thus far, especially if Diddy Kong is confirmed next month.

Why the heck would you remove that=???

I mean, the Roy argument is a terrible one, because Roy was a clone, and on top of that, he still almost was playable.

Heck, he might have been if not for Sonic, and he definitely would have been, if not for the SSE taking up over 3/5th's of development.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Ike is the only FE lord that isn't Marth to have 2 games and a descendant in a 3rd. Ike is also the only Lord that represents the mercenary class(Hector isn't important enough). Intelligent Systems feels Ike is one of the most important FE lords, otherwise I can't see any other reason Priam exists. Just because Melee and Brawl both only had FE reps does not mean that is a trend. Melee had 5 Mario reps Brawl had 4, and Sm4sh has 5 again. The only trend in Smash Bros rosters is that those who have returned multiple times continue to return. Roy didn't make it in to Brawl because he doesn't have many unique features and he isn't important enough to the FE franchise.
Considering the roster isn't expanding in number and they'll want the new FE guy Ike is probably gone.

Commander

Smash Ace
Considering the roster isn't expanding in number and they'll want the new FE guy Ike is probably gone.
Expanding in roster size doesn't mean anything. There is also no reason it can be Marth, Ike, and Chrom. It could even be Marth, Ike, Chrom, Robin. We have no idea what the full roster size is nor the specifics of it. Also as I stated before, there is no reason to believe that FE only gets two spots. Kirby got no expansions in Melee but got two added slots in Brawl. Fire Emblem is a big series that is as old as Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. There is no reason for it to be restricted to two slots.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Expanding in roster size doesn't mean anything. There is also no reason it can be Marth, Ike, and Chrom. It could even be Marth, Ike, Chrom, Robin. We have no idea what the full roster size is nor the specifics of it. Also as I stated before, there is no reason to believe that FE only gets two spots. Kirby got no expansions in Melee but got two added slots in Brawl. Fire Emblem is a big series that is as old as Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. There is no reason for it to be restricted to two slots.
Ignoring your obvious personal bias here.
Kirby is simple; the 3 characters in the series are the main 3 characters there isn't a new cast every game the core cast is the same, expansion is easy and your comparison is moot.
Fire Emblem is no where near as popular as Mario, Zelda or Metroid, it's bigger internationally these days but it's still no Zelda.
I'm not debating what I want here I'm giving a prediction based on logic. Logically the trend will continue because the new game was a huge hit, Ike is old news, Marth is the original and the overall size of the roster is staying about the same.

So final word: Marth/Chrom for Smash 4.

Ike/Roy as DLC.

I shouldn't have even gone this far you're so biased it's almost funny.

Commander

Smash Ace
Ignoring your obvious personal bias here.
Kirby is simple; the 3 characters in the series are the main 3 characters there isn't a new cast every game the core cast is the same, expansion is easy and your comparison is moot.
Fire Emblem is no where near as popular as Mario, Zelda or Metroid, it's bigger internationally these days but it's still no Zelda.
I'm not debating what I want here I'm giving a prediction based on logic. Logically the trend will continue because the new game was a huge hit, Ike is old news, Marth is the original and the overall size of the roster is staying about the same.

So final word: Marth/Chrom for Smash 4.

Ike/Roy as DLC.

What logic? You have only said that Ike would be cut just because. How can you call one game change, Melee to Brawl, a trend? When polling for which characters to add into Melee, Fire Emblem took two of the top ten spots. Marth was the absolute number one most requested new comer for Melee. At some other place in the top ten was "anyone from Fire Emblem". FE is a much bigger deal than you give it credit for. We still have no idea what the final roster size is going to be so there is no reason to call anything regarding that other than it won't expand past mid 40s or so.

I don't get what calling me bias even accomplishes. Everyone is bias. Taking a side in any debate is bias. You are the one who is ignoring evidence.

Also if Ike is old news, explain this guy to me:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
What logic? You have only said that Ike would be cut just because.
Me said:
Logically the trend will continue because the new game was a huge hit, Ike is old news, Marth is the original and the overall size of the roster is staying about the same.
Learn to read.

I don't get what calling me bias even accomplishes. Everyone is bias. Taking a side in any debate is bias. You are the one who is ignoring evidence.
You've proven you can't read and think critically. Your bias means as far as a conversation on what might actually happens goes your opinion means jack squat and stop posting giant ass pictures.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There is no proof the roster won't be bigger than 39 characters.

You have no sources, and you are relying on falsified fallacies.

In fact, all of your posts have been similarly pathetically based on things that no one in development ever said.

===

And hypothetically if it isn't, they're doing a crummy job, considering if that's the case we know almost 60% of the roster anymore.

Also, veterans are far easier to re-add than adding newcomers. Literally in each smash game most of the veteran data from past games is re-used.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt

In fact, all of your posts have been similarly pathetically based on things that no one in development ever said.

===

And hypothetically if it isn't, they're doing a crummy job, considering if that's the case we know almost 60% of the roster anymore.

Also, veterans are far easier to re-add than adding newcomers. Literally in each smash game most of the veteran data from past games is re-used.
They will probably add a few characters, but not very many, certainly not as many as brawl. Also "falsified fallacies", I lold.
Adding a new character to an existing roster of 40 is monumentally more complex than adding a new character to a roster half that size, if you take the time to balance them that is. However someone mentioned that SSE is out the door so that should hopefully free up a lot of time to really polish SSB4.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
SSE took up 3/5ths of development, according to Sakurai.

Go look it up in the Componium thread of whatever that --- made.

We got a bigger team this time around.

They got more time.

And they have all the data to re-add.

This isn't Tekken where each character has 4,923 moves.

This is Smash. We got like 3 A-A-A moves, 3 tilts, 3 smash attacks, 5 aerials, 4 special moves, a final smash, a grab, a grab pummel, 4 grab throws, a get up attack, a running attack, and a few other attacks.

This isn't rocket science.

Commander

Smash Ace
Learn to read.

You've proven you can't read and think critically. Your bias means as far as a conversation on what might actually happens goes your opinion means jack squat and stop posting giant *** pictures.
As I stated before one change over 2 games is not a trend. No one in the right mind thinks that one thing happening once is a trend. Two times is not a trend either. You have a very serious misunderstanding of what bias is and when it is a problem. Bias is only a problem if you are trying to report the news. Arguments and their opinions are supposed to be bias. All being bias means is that someone has an opinion.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
You must've misread the script, this was supposed to be commander's line. A single instance of something hardly makes a pattern and your determination to prove otherwise is the very definition of confirmation bias.

Here I have an excersize for you- Complete the pattern: ▲

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You must've misread the script, this was supposed to be commander's line. A single instance of something hardly makes a pattern and your determination to prove otherwise is the very definition of confirmation bias.

Here I have an excersize for you- Complete the pattern: ▲
...5, No wait 7! No! 6! Wait 4!

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-change-of-direction-may-be-needed-for-next-smash-bros/

Now consider that Marth is in the game and they are not ignoring the new best selling game.

You can then piece together that chances of seeing Ike are slim at best.

There's a source. If you think something I say is out of whack why not specifically call me out on it with proof instead of just saying "you're wrong".

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-change-of-direction-may-be-needed-for-next-smash-bros/

Now consider that Marth is in the game and they are not ignoring the new best selling game.

There's a source. If you think something I say is out of whack why not specifically call me out on it with proof instead of just saying "you're wrong".
Marth in game =/= Ike gone.
If so, Marth in Brawl = Ike not in.
Plus, Change of direction = more balanced roster but =/= Ike gone.

Commander

Smash Ace

There is nothing definitive about the roster in that statement other than it will be below 50 because it becomes too hard to balance a that point. Marth is the series mascot so I don't see how that effects Ike and so far the only thing from Awakening we have seen is Arena Ferox. There is still no reason to believe that FE can't get 3 spots and continue to have Ike. Also Awakening made a tribute to Ike in it. Priam, that guy from the giant pic(wasn't so giant on mobile so I apologize for that), was made solely as a tribute to Ike. No other lord, other than Marth, has had two games and a descendant, even if they were more popular than Ike. It is clear that Intelligent Systems feels Ike is incredibly important because of this and it wouldn't be like Sakurai, a known Fire Emblem fanatic, to not take IS into consideration when adding characters because he had done so with both Melee and Brawl. Roy was added to help IS and Ike was added at IS's request. There is a lot more things that help Ike's case than hurt him.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Marth in game =/= Ike gone.
If so, Marth in Brawl = Ike not in.
Plus, Change of direction = more balanced roster but =/= Ike gone.
No, having Ike meant no Roy.

Change of direction as in not adding but swapping out.

There is nothing definitive about the roster in that statement other than it will be below 50 because it becomes too hard to balance a that point. Marth is the series mascot so I don't see how that effects Ike and so far the only thing from Awakening we have seen is Arena Ferox. There is still no reason to believe that FE can't get 3 spots and continue to have Ike. Also Awakening made a tribute to Ike in it. Priam, that guy from the giant pic(wasn't so giant on mobile so I apologize for that), was made solely as a tribute to Ike. No other lord, other than Marth, has had two games and a descendant, even if they were more popular than Ike. It is clear that Intelligent Systems feels Ike is incredibly important because of this and it wouldn't be like Sakurai, a known Fire Emblem fanatic, to not take IS into consideration when adding characters because he had done so with both Melee and Brawl. Roy was added to help IS and Ike was added at IS's request. There is a lot more things that help Ike's case than hurt him.
No **** there's nothing definitive. Not even the people making it know who'll make it at this point. It's speculation using quotes, interviews etc.

Ike has more of a shot than Roy did at Brawl but it's seriously hurt by the fact they will not be expanding the roster overall (based on the info we have) and will not ignore a new character from Awakening, Chrom if I remember correctly.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
You're using a coincidence as some kind of prediction. I'll see a pattern IF Ike gets cut.
I see where you guys are coming from. If they said "we're expanding the overall roster" I'd see Ike having a fair shot but if they keep the overall number generally the same the trend will continue albeit for a different reason.

Commander

Smash Ace
I see where you guys are coming from. If they said "we're expanding the overall roster" I'd see Ike having a fair shot but if they keep the overall number generally the same the trend will continue albeit for a different reason.
They are clearly not keeping the roster the same size and there will be expansion. It won't be 64>Melee>Brawl sized expansion, but it will expand to some extent. Mario got a fifth slot, Animal Crossing got a character, Wii Fit Trainer was added. There is no reason to assume a third slot can't exist for FE assuming a different character is added.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
They are clearly not keeping the roster the same size and there will be expansion. It won't be 64>Melee>Brawl sized expansion, but it will expand to some extent. Mario got a fifth slot, Animal Crossing got a character, Wii Fit Trainer was added. There is no reason to assume a third slot can't exist for FE assuming a different character is added.
Life is too short.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
How come I remember in a article Sakurai said the roster may be smaller than Brawl :l whatever I don't want to get into it.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
How come I remember in a article Sakurai said the roster may be smaller than Brawl :l whatever I don't want to get into it.
Because you remember a lie.
That's Sakurai saying quantity over quality is wrong.

He's right.

50 characters is a number he brought up, because that's obviously around the number of characters we'll get.

Also, Sakurai was probably referring to Brawl's roster increase. We lost 4 characters from Melee (and Young Link became Toon Link), and got 17 newcomers.

That's not going to happen again. We're not getting 4 cuts (so far it looks like no Brawl cuts), we will definitely get Mewtwo (and maybe Roy) back, and we're not getting 17 newcomers.

We'll be lucky if we get 6 newcomers on top of the 4 we already have gotten, and we're definitely not getting more than 8 addition newcomers.

And if you honestly don't think we'll get 39 characters, you're a fool. We've got 21 confirmed in 6 1/2 months, with at least another 10 months or so to go.

Top Bottom