• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm maining random. Who's with me?

2L84U

Smash Journeyman
Why, this is general Brawl discussion ?

Doesn't justify the need for such a pointless thread.

I plan on wearing green socks tomorrow. Who's with me?!
There's a "everybody's favorite man in green" forum. Do it there.

Good luck!

Gotta main 'em all! You're gonna be the very best, that no one ever was!
flyinfilipino I just love ya posts lol

onlinenow25

Smash Rookie
Im randoming it up, i plan on being the best the very best with all 35.

On the lines of competitive play, being able to play and know all characters moves and straights will give the "mainers" a disadvantage becuase the randomer knows all characters

Plutonium21

Smash Rookie
LOL, you random mainers will get slaughtered by the competitive players if you ever fight any of them. How are you going to ever excel if you always choose random? especially since sakurai added tons of character depth this time around. Sure i'll use it at first to descide my mains and test new cc's, and i'll use it a year from now when i think i am descent with all characters, but all the time?, come on now that's just rediculous if you wanna be competative.
When on mains as random they become much more knowledgeable about all the characters. Because of this they know more about the strengths and weaknesses of the characters. I got a lot better when i switched to random.

insertwittytitlehere

Smash Rookie
I really like this idea; none of the characters really seem RIDICULOUSLY superior to another, at least from my point of view.

Maining random actually sounds really fun and varied.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I like the random feature. Although, I'll probably be playing With Anyone most of the time, so I'll be able to train against random characters anyway (with the added bonus of supposedly being controlled by real people)

Dynamism

Smash Lord
LOL, you random mainers will get slaughtered by the competitive players if you ever fight any of them. How are you going to ever excel if you always choose random? especially since sakurai added tons of character depth this time around. Sure i'll use it at first to descide my mains and test new cc's, and i'll use it a year from now when i think i am descent with all characters, but all the time?, come on now that's just rediculous if you wanna be competative.
I did fine with random. In melee, the opponent knew who I was before the battle started so that wasn't great. In the only match I ever had with Forward, when countered my "randomized" YLink with Falco, I still won :p
Random isn't as bad as you think. Once your opponent gets used to fighting a character by the end of the match and they don't switch who they are evey match as well, it's tough on them. As a random user, the instant change isn't a factor in mental gameplay, but it takes alot to adjust to fighting a Falcon then a Mario then the ICs back to back to back without any breaks, even at the highest level.

Edit: I should add, that I often did get screwed because of this. I force myself to use the first character it randomizes to, even if it's Mewtwo and I'm versing a Marth 3 times in a row. But I was dedicated lol *facepalm* Now I won't even have the choice so the pressure is off of my will power a little.

And Santini, two from every character in the game...that's alot of balls ;)

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
I don't plan on maining "Random" but I made a promise to myself. I was going to do that random thing, and the VERY FIRST character it gives me, no matter how good/bad, is going to be my "Main" and the character I primarily work with/use.

:)

zeldamaster2006

Smash Apprentice
The only reason I would never consider that is knowing my luck it'd often land on ice climbers, Yoshi, and other people I can't stand. Unless there's a way to disable certain characters..?

Dynamism

Smash Lord

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
I don't plan on maining "Random" but I made a promise to myself. I was going to do that random thing, and the VERY FIRST character it gives me, no matter how good/bad, is going to be my "Main" and the character I primarily work with/use.

:)
What about the characters you need to unlock first? Gonna unlock them then choose random?

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
What about the characters you need to unlock first? Gonna unlock them then choose random?
Crap, lol.

I guess there is no way of avoiding all the characters, short of dling them to an SD card, which I don't want to do.

Arcsine

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sercerfer
All joking put aside, I know from personal experience that after playing as a random character in melee for a good 4 months, my competitive game improved alot. I found that by playing every character vs every character you learn what types of offenses and defences are effective in any situation. I can say with 100 certainty that after I unlock all the characters I'll be maining random for months until I feel I have a reasonable understanding of each character.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
Not sure about maining random, but I do appreciate the new Brawl random select. (Doesn't let you see your character until the match starts)

But honestly, I don't think maining random will be a good idea:

Brawl: This **** just got real
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142507

^Thread of someone who has played and says the game is very different and very awesome.

According to the posts:
-In Melee, if you mastered Fox then easily play as Marth, Falco, Shiek or anyother character.
-In Brawl, the characters are very deep, balanced but all very different.
-Combos, Killing, and ATs are more character specific.
-Some characters work better on certain characters. (like has an advantage over one character but is weak against another character) So you will may have to think out your strategy a bit about who you are fighting.

Brawl characters are very deep. May not be easy to just switch from here to there.

Random will be fun from time to time (love the new random system). I want try all the characters first through SSE first, I think it will be fun that way.

I'm not sure about maining random, for fun, but I'll main perhaps 3 guys. Kind of hard to main 35 characters and beat everyone. You have to be very pro/competitive to do that in my opinion. I'll worship whoever can do that.

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
Going random has way to much consistancy, you have a 3/35 chance of using a Landmaster for your Final Smash ;).

But seriously, this sounds fun and is a good way to get the most out of Brawl. By playing as all 35 characters instead of 3, it will be very difficult to become bored with this game. I will definately be using the random character button in conjunction with the random stage button. Falling Whistness, this topic wins.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
I probably won't use random for a couple years. I have to be familiar with all of the characters and try them out separately first.

Other than...I might just do some matches where we both do random. Or better yet...2v2 team random....that would be fun.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
All joking put aside, I know from personal experience that after playing as a random character in melee for a good 4 months, my competitive game improved alot. I found that by playing every character vs every character you learn what types of offenses and defences are effective in any situation. I can say with 100 certainty that after I unlock all the characters I'll be maining random for months until I feel I have a reasonable understanding of each character.
Very true. I have yet to lose to a ranked MLG player ALL by using random. (Though I've only played 3)
And when you "master" so to speak, a group of characters, learning 1 more helps you better your game with the few you have. Every time you learn 1 more, the next becomes easier and what you have becomes better understood. By the 35th character, you know all ticks with all characters and they come easilier.
Think about it. By the time you learn 10 of the 35, you easily understand what it takes and where to go when learning more. It's not as slow or difficult a task as it seems.

Not sure about maining random, but I do appreciate the new Brawl random select. (Doesn't let you see your character until the match starts)
As a random user, this will inevitably become natural to us, but not our foes.

But honestly, I don't think maining random will be a good idea:

Brawl: This **** just got real
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142507

^Thread of someone who has played and says the game is very different and very awesome.

According to the posts:
-In Melee, if you mastered Fox then easily play as Marth, Falco, Shiek or anyother character.
With major adjustments of course, but yes. Master Fox, DK, Kirby and Mario, easily play every character in the game even more, with less exception to dramatic change. If you learn to juggle with DK Fairs, then it's easier when you try to learn Roy. Easier transition then Fox, but with Fox, that's where the Uthrow Uair starts to change to DK. Then from Marios UpB out of sheild, Samus UpB out of sheild becomes natural, not from Fox though. Then from Samus spamming Dsmash, Peach or ICs come easy, or the grapple grab etc... See where I'm going with this? Just slight examples there ^^
-In Brawl, the characters are very deep, balanced but all very different.
Again, it doesn't take much to adjust if that is what you do every match always. It's harder to adjust to a player then adjusting your own game. That is often overlooked. And as a random user, focusing into your characters game instantly will come easy with time.
-Combos, Killing, and ATs are more character specific.
Even a better reason to know every character. Whether it's knowing what to avoid or what's difficult to deal with when you are that character so you know how to make it tough when you face one, or simply knowing how to approach, defend, attack the given character. There is still major uncertainty around fighting Jiggs and it's been seven years. But I bet a Jiggs player would know what works against a Jiggs.
-Some characters work better on certain characters. (like has an advantage over one character but is weak against another character) So you will may have to think out your strategy a bit about who you are fighting.
One of the biggest advantages for a Random user. There's no stopping us from counter picking them. Remember, we still have that option when it's of choice, but they CAN'T counter pick when they don't know who they're playing.

Brawl characters are very deep. May not be easy to just switch from here to there.
It wasn't easy in melee lol. But this comes with time. I can close my eyes until the battle starts in melee, and pick the character up like I was planning it all along. I've just always used random (the empty squares) and try to start matches as fast as possible. It's more difficult for my opponent than me by a LONG shot.

Random will be fun from time to time (love the new random system). I want try all the characters first through SSE first, I think it will be fun that way.

I'm not sure about maining random, for fun, but I'll main perhaps 3 guys. Kind of hard to main 35 characters and beat everyone. You have to be very pro/competitive to do that in my opinion. I'll worship whoever can do that.
Meh, it's easier than it seems, but don't expect a random user to dominate the first year or so. It just takes more time. The real trick is (which isn't hard at all) is to not lose what you once had and learn what you can quickly.

Simple really :ohwell:

Top Bottom