• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Im inVINCIBLLLLE!: what not to do when you get a KO

Spambot

Smash Rookie
Whenever you kill someone, just get on the ledge. If you get a star KO, charge your projectile, just make sure that you are on that ledge afterwards. Heres the thing: your opponent will be completely invunerable.

What I see a lot of new players do is very cute. When you have a stock lead hanging in the balance, you do not want to be cute. Your foe will definitely go out of their way to land the dsmash/utilt that will end your life. Here is what NOT to do. (continued)

Do not roll behind your opponent. This will lead to you getting grabbed or dair'd. Do not jump over your opponent. He/she/it will most likely punish your landing. Do not roll back all the way to the ledge. This means you will have to cross over your flippant foe to get out unscathed: he WILL read your cross-over, you WILL take damage. Do you know why this whole scenario is an issue? Because he can SMELL your fear. He knows your in a rough spot and will apply constant pressure while invincible. (continued)

(I was going to get to the whole ledge thing)
One of the most important things to get out of this is to not act stupid and dance around trying to not get hit. Even if you do stay on the ledge, you aren't completely safe yet. Your opponent might read that get up attack and set,up an edgeguard, ect. Getting on the ledge is generally safer than rolling around the center of the stage. Just make sure you know your options, your opponent's options, the ledge is there, and don't be cute.

I planned on doing a big thing leading up to mind games and such, but I don't have a computer, and it is taking way too long to "type" anything. For now I'm leaving this little post-chunk as-is. Expect a more in-depth version of this to come out some day.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Talking about what to do during opponent's invincibility time/while they are being star KO'ed is fine, but please don't double/triple post. Edit your original one.

Spambot

Smash Rookie
My PSP web browser has a strange limit on the aount I can type. I currently have acess to less than half of my post, and I had to type in "chunks" in order to get anything done. If I knew about this limit, then I would never have thought of making a thread, and I will most likely not be making any long post in the forseeable future.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
For MK, simply go to the ledge and scrooge to the other side. Invincibility is not a problem anymore :D
MK ftw!

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Jumping high up with characters that can do that like Snake is not always bad, but there there is a risk of getting juggled, especially if it's MK or Marth. Plataform camping during the 3 second invincibility can also work.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
My PSP web browser has a strange limit on the aount I can type. I currently have acess to less than half of my post, and I had to type in "chunks" in order to get anything done. If I knew about this limit, then I would never have thought of making a thread, and I will most likely not be making any long post in the forseeable future.
Sure, no worries.

I'd just recommend getting to a proper PC at some point to maintain the thread properly, rather than posting chunks at a time. Must be annoying.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
This actually seems like this can be a good thread, but it's going to be comprehensive because every character is complex. I think that we should cover what to do against Meta Knight when they're invincible first though because he's the most complex to be edgeguarded against. If that's fine with the OP.

Just for example though, a Snake vs a MK will want to set up C4 and Landmine if he can before MK respawns. He should set them up close to the ledge, or he should run to the ledge, drop two grenades to cover, and start "planking." He should still have that C4 there to help him get up because the MK will have to get past that C4. It's dangerous though because MK has so many ledge options, so if you're at lower percents, just wait it out on the stage camping w/ grenades because Snake dies at ~180.

There, that's my example post :p

napZzz

Smash Hero
with certain characters that might help, but with snake running onto the ledge or jumping up is a really really bad idea loool

but avoiding spot dodging/rolling if you're playing someone smart is good, depending on the character trying to run and abuse shield might be the best option (provided grabs wont get them a kill)

just keep in mind what their best options are vs. your character coming back and try to get away from it, without putting yourself in a bad situation

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
My favorite option is a jump backwards. Great spacing movement in general for most characters, and it works fairly well in this scenario as well. Of course it's always important to mix it up or know your options as a character. Sitting in shield for example works well against some characters, but ones with kill grabs/moves with great setups with grabs you want to avoid doing this, and so on and so forth.

Rich Brown also mentioned the simple but good idea of staying in the middle of the stage especially if it has a platform, then running away the moment the opponent drops from the spawn point. While it seems counter intuitive to get nearer to them, you're forcing them to compromise their options by chasing you down, which means less smashes. That and you can still get away with rolling and the like when you want to because their options are dependent on reading when you're going to change your running up.

Tenodera

Smash Cadet
] staying in the middle of the stage especially if it has a platform, then running away the moment the opponent drops from the spawn point. While it seems counter intuitive to get nearer to them, you're forcing them to compromise their options by chasing you down, which means less smashes. That and you can still get away with rolling and the like when you want to because their options are dependent on reading when you're going to change your running up.
Thirding this, it's given me the best results. The ledge is a much better thing to do than roll behind them or something like that. It might be worth editing in how characters like Kirby, Jiggs, D3, or Pit can multi-jump around (offstage?) to stall out the time.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Crouch repeatedly.

Disrespects the opponent AND you look good doing it. Especially if you're D3.
Not to mention you can do practically anything out-of-crouch.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
If your at really high percent and you just KO'd an opponent I always find it best to just shield against your invincible opponent so he can only do one option and that is grab you and that won't kill you.

Of course this wouldn't work against somebody that kills with throws or can chain throw.

For instance I'll be a Jigglypuff that just KO'd a MK at high %. I don't want to try running away in the air because I might get shuttle looped or if I stay on the ground I might get dsmashed. So instead I'll just shield and the worst thing that can happen to me is that I get grabbed and I won't die from it.

And again, I would not reccomend doing this ALL the time, just some of the time to mix your game up.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
going to the ledge because your opponent is invincible is dumb, seeing how horrible the ledge is anyway. unless you are marth or pit or ROB or MK or Jiggs, you probably arent safe on the ledge.

Wario for example, is much better off just running about and camping with airdodge.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I run to grab the ledge, stall, bait out a stage spike attempt, and punish their attempt as needed (Provided i have a decent option.) They could always edgehog and force you onstage, but if you're not bad offstage, then they should be more worried about getting gimped than you losing the stock lead. If you happen to attack them offstage, follow them, until both of you die. It looks awesome, AND you keep a stock lead. Don't try this against chars like MK. You loke ******** if you die and MK survives with Drill Rush or something. If that doesn't say it, don't put yourself in a bad position when it's pointless. If you have to, just stand there with shield up and don't do anything. When you feel like you can be shield-poked, jump OoS to toward the ledge to get away, unless they've got a Fair like Diddy's. If so, jump OoS > airdodge is most proper, then you try to keep a tight defensive until you see the chance to punish. When you do, don't let up. Not even for a second. Play extreme offensive, baiting everything until you lose a stock. Tacking on heavy damage after killing them is so much better than trying to evade everything and throwing hit-and-run moves, giving only about 20% before you die. Nonetheless, remember that every % counts. Try your best to do lots of damage before you lose stock.

Top Bottom