• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm having MAJOR issues edgeguarding against Ike.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
There are some other characters that cause me problems, but I'm focusing on Ike because I know (and play against) about 10 people that main him.

Now, my normal way of getting kills with ROB is to chase my opponents off of the screen with Fairs, Bairs and Nairs. But Ike's recovery makes that almost impossible.

Let's start with his Up B. He has Heavy armor during this move, so if I go in there to attack him, all that's going to happen is me receiving about 30 damage from his Up B.

His Side B is also tricky. It moves incredibly fast, has a huge hitbox, great priority, and gives out a good amount of damage. When he is charging this attack up, I dare not go near him, because he'll unleash it and it will tear right through any aerial moves that I do. I've tried going above him for the spike, but I'll either miss because his attack moves too fast, or the Side B will go through my Dair.

Ike is broken, he even says so when he performs his counter attack. x_x

Zoap

Smash Master
if you werent from Orange Countly I might help but I just cant stand that place

Sharky

Smash Master
Ike is tough to edgeguard against if you don't get out there in time. If you do, however, it's rather simple, due to him not getting much distance compared to other members of the cast.

His side-b is the easier of the two to stop. The simplest, though more painful way to do it is to simply jump in his way while he's using it. He'll hit you, but he'll also stop moving forward and fall, being unable to do anything else. Another thing to try is an uncharged laser. Hitting him while he's charging, or even using, the quickdraw means he'll have to recharge it, and of course he isn't always going to be able to do that successfully, depending on where he is when you hit him. A charged laser has a greater chance of knocking him off the side, but it also knocks him up, so if you don't completely KO him he's got a chance to make it back still. Using the same logic, the gyromite is also an option, but, just like the charged laser, the knock-up gives him hope of recovering. A properly timed edgehog can also work to gimp his quickdraw recovery, though since the quickdraw is so fast, this is hard to time, and therefore isn't very recommended.

Aether is a bit harder to gimp, due to super armor. Done properly it's near impossible to do so. There's still a chance, though! In one video of mine, the link of which I'll add to the end of this, I was actually able to f-smash Ike at the top of his aether for the KO. I don't know of I happened to get lucky or not, but I'm still in hopes that this is consistently do-able given the proper situation. If the Ike is going strictly for the sweet-spot, then a short-hopped dair should be able to do the trick nicely, though of course, time is an issue in getting in there before he grabs the ledge. If the Ike tries to land on the stage, you can spot-dodge and f-smash, or whatever other hit you want to get on him.

click here for the battle with the uber f-smash edgeguard =D

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
if you werent from Orange Countly I might help but I just cant stand that place
wow...

ike is slow & dumb...
just get his damage high & throw him out...
when he's low edge hog.

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
Hmm Ike's eh? I dunno, I find his UpB more fun to counter.

just like most of ROBS aerials you have to time it right but it shouldnt be that hard. When hes recovering from the lower parts of the stage hoping to get up with his UpB you should fall of the ledge and go a little under the stage. like hmm, You fall off and make enough space between you and the edge so you dont get hit by his aether and then you fall in between the ledge and the Ike. So if you do a Bair towards the stage, you hit the ike as hes recovering upward and before he taps the ledge.

basically you intercept the Ike's UpB as he propels himself upward, and where his invincibility frames are gone.

Im sry im bad at explaining this, if someone out there could make this more clear then go for it pls :D

there should be an Ike vs ROB vid that shows this...

Foxxx17

Smash Cadet
Ike is tough to edgeguard against if you don't get out there in time. If you do, however, it's rather simple, due to him not getting much distance compared to other members of the cast.

His side-b is the easier of the two to stop. The simplest, though more painful way to do it is to simply jump in his way while he's using it. He'll hit you, but he'll also stop moving forward and fall, being unable to do anything else. Another thing to try is an uncharged laser. Hitting him while he's charging, or even using, the quickdraw means he'll have to recharge it, and of course he isn't always going to be able to do that successfully, depending on where he is when you hit him. A charged laser has a greater chance of knocking him off the side, but it also knocks him up, so if you don't completely KO him he's got a chance to make it back still. Using the same logic, the gyromite is also an option, but, just like the charged laser, the knock-up gives him hope of recovering. A properly timed edgehog can also work to gimp his quickdraw recovery, though since the quickdraw is so fast, this is hard to time, and therefore isn't very recommended.

Aether is a bit harder to gimp, due to super armor. Done properly it's near impossible to do so. There's still a chance, though! In one video of mine, the link of which I'll add to the end of this, I was actually able to f-smash Ike at the top of his aether for the KO. I don't know of I happened to get lucky or not, but I'm still in hopes that this is consistently do-able given the proper situation. If the Ike is going strictly for the sweet-spot, then a short-hopped dair should be able to do the trick nicely, though of course, time is an issue in getting in there before he grabs the ledge. If the Ike tries to land on the stage, you can spot-dodge and f-smash, or whatever other hit you want to get on him.

click here for the battle with the uber f-smash edgeguard =D
i agree yoshinator...

another way is, if u fail to get out and in ikes face in time back off from him and wait on the ledge. During that time i would charge up the gyro ball and fire lasers at him. If its fully charge it might even kill him, but if not the laser will mess up his timing. While the gryo usally goes through ike's armor frames (atleast with my experiance), so with good aiming it might just give you the edge you need.

i know this isnt the "best way" to edge guard an ike but it is a way to mix it up and leave you with more options.

(i apologize for the poor grammer, im at school right now and they fail to have firefox's editing abilities :( )

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
If you get him far enough that he must use his Side-B then just jump out and take the Quick Draw hit. He won't be able to make it back to the stage. Just make sure you can survive the hit yourself. That's the simplest way. The other is just to simply edge hog quickly with hugging against his B-Up if he needs to grab the edge with it. Make him B-Up back onto the stage and get landing lag, and punish away with an attack. The two methods I said above works pretty well. Just watch out for his B-Up super armor though.

Storm XXV

Smash Rookie
Just use Fairs and keep pushing him off the stage until he's basically off the screen, then none of his moves can save him and you can rocket back to saftey

WoP FTW!

Zink

Smash Champion
ike main here, you guys are silly gooses.
quickdraw is garbage recovery. just jump in front of it and he dies. game set.
aether is hoggable. just do a fast hug before the sword passes the ledge, and your invincibility frames outlast the hitbox. :/ if that's too hard just kill him off the side, because aether is his only vertical recovery and his horizontal is poor.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Okay, I think I've got a strategy down.

WoP with Fairs.
If he does side B, just jump in front of him.
If he does Up B, hit him either as he's going up, at the top of his jump, or as he's falling. (his sword makes this hard though).
If he's low enough, just hop on the edge.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Ike has super armor while he's rising during his up-b so it's not really plausible to hit him out of it. I like to just jump out as far as you can and try to stop him off the stage while he's still out of recovery distance. It's not like ROB has a problem making it back.

TICO

Smash Cadet
use the gryo and you lasers to stall his recovery, ike can only get back up if hes across the ledge(side b)
or under the ledge (up b). he will die failing.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Powershield the Aether and hit him out of shield to a double F-air reverse booster b-air air-guard (or time a good b-air headbutt depending on DI) to seal his doom--this takes perfect timing and quick reflexes.
Lure him into a Quick Draw over the stage by edgehogging, then U-air (remember to fast fall it to keep the last hitbox from knocking him too far away) cancel your dash with a pivot, cancel pivot with jump, F-air to D-air combo him to a Spiked KO. Remember: Spike Ike.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Powershield the Aether and hit him out of shield to a double F-air reverse booster b-air air-guard (or time a good b-air headbutt depending on DI) to seal his doom--this takes perfect timing and quick reflexes.
Lure him into a Quick Draw over the stage by edgehogging, then U-air (remember to fast fall it to keep the last hitbox from knocking him too far away) cancel your dash with a pivot, cancel pivot with jump, F-air to D-air combo him to a Spiked KO. Remember: Spike Ike.

Wow, complicated stuff, but I think I understand. And what about telling me to use Snake last night on AIM? =P

Top Bottom