• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm Glad PT is Top of Low Tier

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
PT will never be High tier. While he his versatility is a huge plus. He lacks certain traits that prevent him from reaching higher tired levels.

By themselves none of the Pokemon are exactly high tier. If you were to break them down individually Squirtle would be on the low side of medium, Ivy the higher part of medium and Charizard in the Middle of both of them. The fact that all three of them have different play styles is a huge plus On top of the fact that each of them have at least three additonal attack styles

. But the fact you automatically change when one dies takes away from that as well as the time changing in battle takes. Character match up disadvantages and advantages make playing with PT extremely challenging. In some cases only one of three will actually have an advantage against you opponent while the other to easily get beat on. While in others you can wipe the floor with any of the three. If one could change aerially or if switching while you were in the air instantly sent you to the ground I could agree that he would be a top tier character. Even having a little control over where or when the Pokemon would appear would have greatly improved upon him.

Taking all of this into consideration He probably fall into the exact medium of the tier list if ranked properly.
See, your thinking exposes the attitude that most people have about PT, that he's three different characters.

Sakurai has again and again worked to make it painfully obvious, but people keep missing it, PT is one character, one character with the largest and most diverse range of moves in the game.

"Oh noes, I have to switch characterz, that suckz."

Saying that PT is three different characters is like saying that there are three different kinds of Marths, the B-button Marth, the aerial Marth and the ground Marth. That is wrong.

The true power of PT will only be unlocked when people stop viewing the pokemon seperately and begin playing them in a unified, synchonized machine.

washy

Smash Apprentice
I can't wait till some one completely masters hydroplaning with squirtle. If some one were able to hydroplane with squritle with 100% accuracy, Squirtle could be High Tier, along with the other two.

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
Let's get something straight. I always get these confused.

Shellshift - The pivot animation
Hydro* - any technique performed out of the pivot animation
Hydroplane - Usmash
Hydrograb - Grab

Right?

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
PT is acutally becoming one of my secondary characters. I think he can be really good, especially if you start out using squirtle to rack up damage, followed by ivysaur to make the kill. I dont see how he can be so low on a possible tier list sine he is so adaptable. I understand that he has flaws, but squirtle is an awesome character on his own. I wish they could make the three pokemon separate completely from the others... With the current system, charizard and somewhat ivysaur make squirtle a lot less effective...

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Man it never ends. People always assume Squirtle is better because any scrub can pick him up and feel like he's playing well.

He is amazingly one-dimensional, Charizard and Ivysaur are both better.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Man it never ends. People always assume Squirtle is better because any scrub can pick him up and feel like he's playing well.

He is amazingly one-dimensional, Charizard and Ivysaur are both better.
Remindes me of Ike.:laugh:

Anyway to respond to the poke-switching one page back.

I don't mind poke-switching, but it's that stuuuupid fatigue! Arrrrgh!:mad:

Ryazan

Smash Ace
See, your thinking exposes the attitude that most people have about PT, that he's three different characters.

Sakurai has again and again worked to make it painfully obvious, but people keep missing it, PT is one character, one character with the largest and most diverse range of moves in the game.

Saying that PT is three different characters is like saying that there are three different kinds of Marths, the B-button Marth, the aerial Marth and the ground Marth. That is wrong.

The true power of PT will only be unlocked when people stop viewing the pokemon separately and begin playing them in a unified, synchronized machine.
10chars

Everyone knows that individually, PT's three Pokemon are not very formidable. But, just like in the Pokemon games, victory is impossible if you only use one Pokemon all the time. That is especially true in Brawl, because they get weaker if used in excess. But if one were to master them as a team, if one were to master PT's ability to adapt to any situation, PT would be a force to be reckoned with and possibly approach high or even top tier.

Onxy

Smash Lord
10chars

Everyone knows that individually, PT's three Pokemon are not very formidable. But, just like in the Pokemon games, victory is impossible if you only use one Pokemon all the time. That is especially true in Brawl, because they get weaker if used in excess. But if one were to master them as a team, if one were to master PT's ability to adapt to any situation, PT would be a force to be reckoned with and possibly approach high or even top tier.
I wouldn't go that far to say top, maybe high - by some miracle.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
man my squirtle and charizard always do fairly well, but man, my ivysaur gets rocked all the time. all i have is bullet seed , jab combo, and razor leaf. yeah bair is good for spacing,but usually my opponent can find a way around it. its 2 easy for some 1 to dodge uair, upsmash is 2 slow f smash is pretty good along with f tilt. but it seems like i always have a really hard time ko ing with ivysaur. if ivysaur is just rushed down i dont really see much she can do. mindgaming bulletseed is great but i just cant see why every1 loves ivysaur so much and places her above squirtle and charizard.

infernovia

Smash Ace
I can barely see Pokemon trainer coming out of low tier. I mean Link is considered low tier and he has some amazing stuff on him.

Whats really going to make or break pokemon trainer is his switch. And there is just SO much against him that it is going to take an extremely long time to develop his metagame as the switch would simply be need to be personalized to each character.

chubas

Smash Apprentice
Yep, definitely PT will never reach the top tier, barely high tier IMHO. It will require more time until we see PT as a consolidated mid-tier character. PEOPLE NEED START WINNING TOURNAMENTS ><

Kemious

Smash Apprentice

The true power of PT will only be unlocked when people stop viewing the pokemon seperately and begin playing them in a unified, synchonized machine.

Pokemon trainer is exactly as his game counterpart is. You have your team its one team no matter how you dice it up. But it composed of 6 different Pokemon the same way that trainer is composed of 3. You cant use Squirtle aerial acrobatics as Ivysaur. You cant you Ivy Distance game as Charizard. and Charizard Power is not gonna help you as squirtle. You have all these assests but not all at once.

I do agree with you when you say that to master PT you have to think as them as a unit. You cant simply master one and say you mastered all three at once. You have to learn the limitations and abilities of each one.

Top Bottom