• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Im getting back into the meta.

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
Almost at gold on anthers and a tourney under belt, with weeklies on the way. Im having a hard time trying to find all of the tricks for our girl I missed since around Evo when I stopped.

Clearly we need to put together a super comprehensive 'how to and when to' guide thats easy to read, because its ridiculous that people still dont know about SHAD. Even JWest rolls a ton and gets punished for it.

Im putti g together some videos of myself for critique, but I also want in on any discord or skype. And I want to put together a compendium of everyones work, with videos if possible.

I doubt I have anything new to contribute, but I'm good at writing, analysis, psychology, metacognition, and teaching (College degree and work as a tutor). I feel I can make a new sort of guide, but only with everyones help.

-fluid

Last edited:

Gypsy_Panic

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-7237-7012
Almost at gold on anthers and a tourney under belt, with weeklies on the way. Im having a hard time trying to find all of the tricks for our girl I missed since before Evo when I stopped.

Clearly we need to put together a super comprehensive guide, because its ridiculous that people still dont know about SHAD. Even JWest rolls a ton and gets punished for it.

Im putti g together some videos of myself for critique, but I also want in on any discord or skype. And I want to put together a compendium of everyones work, with videos if possible.

I doubt I have anything new to contribute, but I'm good at writing, analysis, psychology, metacognition, and teaching (College degree and work as a tutor). I feel I can make a new sort of guide, but only with everyones help.

-fluid
I personally would like to see SHAD (Short Hop Air Dodge?) Used in action. It's something I've heard of and tried to use myself, but was never really able to pull off or get any use of (most likely due to poor execution on my part).

Though I think Samus is far from being truly competitively viable as she is now, I'd still love to be able to improve my game play with her. So the more brain storming the better.

I think it's in everyone's best interests if we do all we can to improve everyone's fighting ability with the bounty hunter. Be it guides, tips/tricks, sharing match experiences, ect.

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
I personally would like to see SHAD (Short Hop Air Dodge?) Used in action. It's something I've heard of and tried to use myself, but was never really able to pull off or get any use of (most likely due to poor execution on my part).

Though I think Samus is far from being truly competitively viable as she is now, I'd still love to be able to improve my game play with her. So the more brain storming the better.

I think it's in everyone's best interests if we do all we can to improve everyone's fighting ability with the bounty hunter. Be it guides, tips/tricks, sharing match experiences, ect.

Its basically the center of Samus gameplay imo, since without it she has no real neutral. You can get away witbout using it for a time until people learn the MU, then you proceed to be rekt when you realize you cant roll anymore, thus giving you no upclose options to defend other than dair or retreating fair maybe.

I roll only to a ledge, to use as conditioning mindgame, or to escape a super move (when I cant risk SHAD input error).

I wil look for a good replay of mine or a video of someone showing its full potential

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Izaw is already knee deep in an "art of Samus" video. DanishButrCookies has a fantastic guide video already out there as well. As far as SHADing its gonna take time to condition yourself. Though FG is not the place to practice this. FG's lag will either screw up your SHAD or jump out of charge and turn it into a roll regardless of your timing.
The only advice i can give you as far as getting into the meta is you gotta take the time to read the amazing discussions this community already has out there. I hate reading but forcing yourself to study these threads will get you what you need. The info is already out there, Outsmarting Motherbrain is a fantastic guide, and compared to other communitees i feel in the Samus board its easier to find the info you need.

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
. I hate reading but forcing yourself to study these threads will get you what you need. The info is already out there.
So you dont see any reason for there to be a single, structured, well organized document entitled Samus in Smash 4, that brings all of everyones information together to make it easy for newcomers to learn and for veterans to use as a reference?

This is what textbooks in school are. Many people do tons of things and write papers, but the textbook author brings it all together so that way the student has more chance of learning.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
So you dont see any reason for there to be a single, structured, well organized document entitled Samus in Smash 4, that brings all of everyones information together to make it easy for newcomers to learn and for veterans to use as a reference?

This is what textbooks in school are. Many people do tons of things and write papers, but the textbook author brings it all together so that way the student has more chance of learning.
I think it's a great idea. If you want added video annotation to my guide (Outsmarting Mother brain) like short demos of how to space with zair, uair to jab to fsmash, uair to upb, etc. I'd be more than happy to add those annotations. If you want to build a flowchart-esque strategy guide that talks about conditioning, punishing, etc. That I think is a new effort that is worthwhile. but outside the scope of my guide.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I kind of want to make a CS tech chase percent guide... Does anyone have advice for how to go about testing this? I.e. how to factor in rage, DI, whether or not/how to incorporate aerial moves/aerial opponents on contact, etc... Basically a guide showing which moves force techs at which percents.

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
I kind of want to make a CS tech chase percent guide... Does anyone have advice for how to go about testing this? I.e. how to factor in rage, DI, whether or not/how to incorporate aerial moves/aerial opponents on contact, etc... Basically a guide showing which moves force techs at which percents.
I have sort of done something like this by playing with one of my close friends, and we both experimented with percents on a 99 stock game. I wrote it on some 3x5 notecards sonewhere....... hmm.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Vyrnx Vyrnx It's all included in my upcoming "how to combo" video, which is creeping towards completion. there's a structure to everything, they're completely predictable.

Fluidityt Fluidityt a giant summary video is a great idea, it will be very long. Izaw Izaw is working on the art of Samus which will be likewise I know very detailed but won't have everything. My mammoth combo video will focus uniquely on combos, combo chains specifically, there will be very little from the Samus compendium and if you want to make a textbook level synthesis of everything I don't think anyone would stop you :p
Just the other day we were mentioning how no one has made a video on hurtboxes and disjoints, in the matchup thread (check out the discussion there). Many people, even players who've been maining Samus don't realize the extent of the disjoints she has (like how she can f-smash Cloud's recovery). That's one thing that we're really lacking and my suggestion if you want to start somewhere no one has fully explored yet and will be requisite for any over-arching synthesis. It's not entirely trivial to do either, mapping them all in detail would take considerable time.

Last edited:

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
But I agree with Fluid, this is something that I think with the right editing, formatting and organization would be immensely beneficial for anyone new to the community as well anyone whom is looking for a particular subject whether it be conditioning, frame traps, juggle options and follow ups to CS kill percentages on all characters etc.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
After seeing it used in action I have better idea of how to use it now. I just need to practice it. Thanks!
No problem! Don't use it so much where it becomes predicted. Sometimes you do have to stand your ground and Jab/Tilt w.e. I had my buddy realize I was gonna SHAD 90% of the time so he was just SH and using a meaty move to hit me as I came out of it.

You can Bair, Uair, Zair, Nair out of SHAD.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Hark17ball said:
You can Bair, Uair, Zair, Nair out of SHAD.
And bomb, and up-B and CS and missile and jump again all faster than a roll.
And Dair if there's an incline (say, castle siege).
Preaching to the choir, I know...

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
And bomb, and up-B and CS and missile and jump again all faster than a roll.
And Dair if there's an incline (say, castle siege).
Preaching to the choir, I know...
No no I hardly use the Bomb, or Dair off SHAD. Better to have it be 100% corrected than to be half completed info!

Last edited:

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
I could do a chart for CS kill percents if you guys want, both from mid stage to edge of stage. if that's something that would be useful, I mean there are other factors like DI etc. but it might be nice to know approximately when a CS will net you a kill

Last edited:

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
I could do a chart for CS kill percents if you guys want, both from mid stage to edge of stage. if that's something that would be useful, I mean there are other factors like DI etc. but it might be nice to know approximately when a CS will net you a kill
Yes, please!

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
In power armor too? That's just cool. Nothing says sexy like power armor voiceover.

Last edited:

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
Welcome back! Sorry its a late welcome. But uh, who exactly are you if I may ask? Fluidityt Fluidityt

Last edited:
Top Bottom