• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm diappointed in Toon Link....

justexisting

Smash Rookie
cell shaded would have made him stand out and been more of a "perfect" transition into brawl, but look at them, none of the characters, except for maybe the other link are exactly as they appear in their games... most of them would need to be 2D for that, in pit would still be 8bit (was he NES or SNES?).

I think his style fits brawl, and at a glance, you can easily tell it's wind waker link, so I've got no problem... and Arkio, I agree his bombs = great. the radius, and explosion are both great

eMORAY21

Smash Journeyman
Why does this keep coming up? Who cares, Brawl it's a fighting game.

It's painfully obvious what game he from by having even just a quick glance at him anyway.

ICEDTEA1325

Smash Apprentice
cell shaded would have made him stand out and been more of a "perfect" transition into brawl, but look at them, none of the characters, except for maybe the other link are exactly as they appear in their games... most of them would need to be 2D for that, in pit would still be 8bit (was he NES or SNES?).

pit was nes and toon link is not dissapionting at all. he can combo pretty good, has 3 good projectiles, and besides down air hes fast too..

dlen06

Smash Apprentice
disagree. If they cel-shaded him it would have ruined the entire game. It would be a completely inaccurate portrayal.

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
disagree. If they cel-shaded him it would have ruined the entire game. It would be a completely inaccurate portrayal.
Why? He was cel shaded in his games.

Anyway, I would have liked in cel shaded but his SSBB look is good too.

Necrochild313

Smash Apprentice
I think they opted not to cell shade mainly because he seems to be a representative of more than just Windwaker/Phantom Hourglass Link. Four Swords and Minish Cap are also "Toon", and I'm reminded of ALTTP/LOZ Link on the alt costume before the "Dark Link".

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
I'm a little diappointed to.
I would have liked cell shading, but he's fine how he is. It would have been difficult to cell shade him, but theres a lot to be proud on his appearance.

Silfalas

Smash Rookie
I really don't mind. They designed him very well. Besides, at least you have the cel-shaded bombs! And the wind waker super sexy taunt.

someguy12

Smash Journeyman
I think they opted not to cell shade mainly because he seems to be a representative of more than just Windwaker/Phantom Hourglass Link. Four Swords and Minish Cap are also "Toon", and I'm reminded of ALTTP/LOZ Link on the alt costume before the "Dark Link".
I completely agree with Necrochild, why else is there a blue/red/purple alt colors for him? and im sure that the retro link i a look from some of the "toon-ish" link games. heck, probably not, but still, one of the event matches is called "four swords fight" or something like that, couincidence, heck no!

Edit: oh, yeah..... tl bombs=:):):):):):):):):)

dlen06

Smash Apprentice
i was being sarcastic, which i guess is hard to pick up on da internets. pointless post , but i like the way he looks

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
That would have required an ENTIRE graphics engine for just one character. It wasn't going to happen. Besides, I like this form better.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
As a large fan of the Wind Waker, when I first heard Toon Link was in the game I expected Cel-Shaded Link, but really it's the facial expression and general movement that captures the essence of the character in my opinion. I like him just the way he is, and to those who mentioned the bombs, yes, they are very cool, haha.

fusiongtxz

Smash Cadet
Dood, His non cell shaded looks so much better now. :3
SIDES
No where dose it OFFICALLY say... (directly) that it's wind waker link ;P
It could be a whole new link who will appear in the next game. O.o (not)

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
It looks like they got Toon Link and plonked him into the Twilight Princess world without altering his anatomical style.

In other words, bleagh.

They got the best looking Link ever made and smashed him together with the most uninspiring looking Link ever made and what did they get?

Twilight Princess Toon Link!

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Pfft, they should have used Zelda II sprites. I think Sakurai must've really liked that game to have temple *and* retrolink as an alt for Toon link.

Iraku

Smash Cadet
Well, Super Smash Bros. Brawl has their own special tweaks with some character's looks and such, and I like what they did with Toon Link. They really did a good job changing him from his cel-shaded look to what we have now.

Neodaft_boy

Smash Cadet
I think the style of the smash bros series... brings the characters out of they're normal setting and brings them to the real field of battle. Having Toon Link in Brawl detailed this way will probably be the only time we ever see our little cel-shaded slug-master in realistic detail. x3

Acception goes to g&w. ...I don't think you can make what is flat, 3D. He'd be origami that way o.o;

Top Bottom