• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm against war so my family hates me.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
War is a part of human nature, and perhaps even a necessity.

Full scale wars we've experienced are nothing more than amplified clan wars we see in the animal kingdom. A difference in interest causing major conflict.

War is competition. Competition for land, resources, ideals, whatever you can think of. This competition fuels progress. This progress is the backbone for the change and revolutions we've had throughout our lifetimes.

Personally, I think war is the catalyst for human progress, and this conflict and competition is what drives humans to excel in technological and even idealogical advances. It took a war for slavery to be abolished, it took a war for Nazi Germany to collapse. The values you hold dearly have all been established through bloodshed and destruction.

War kills a lot of people, but then our population is always increasing at an alarming rate anyway. We're not going to die out, our species will live on. The deaths of individuals doesn't really mean much on a ecological basis if we still have great population growth. It may sound amroal, but a moral perspective doesn't apply to everything, and it can be used to explain the reasons behind many things which you may not find the right answer to from a moral perspective

War is not evil, it's normal. It's just magnified conflict. War is not tragic, we still march on (pun intended). War and competition is the fuel for our advancement, and it is what has shaped our world today. In the last 100 years, there have been 2 years of peace. For those that join the military, they are fighting for what they believe. Whatever that may be, these are the people that are required to solve these conflicts of interest. We need those who can finish the fight.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
My view on war is very similar to my view on religion. I believe the world would be a better place without it, butit's always going to happen, so we may as well get used to it. As for when I believe war is acceptable, it should only b to counter a threat that would cause even more casualties than a war to stop it would. And civilians shouldn't be harmed when possible.

Romulox2010

Smash Rookie
my personal view on war is that it is a huge waste of time, money, and resources seeing as no one ends up benefiting from it. My father was drafted to fight in vietnam and all he can recall is how it was a senseless killing that left many people dead or in such a state that the pain they were suffering was worse than death and how he now cant go a night without night terrors or how his dreams of playing pro baseball were shot down because he was injured in combat. basically war benefits no one so i think its completely useless

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
War is a part of human nature, and perhaps even a necessity.

If there is such a thing as human nature, war is not a part of it, as evidence: the first 160,000-300,000 years of our life as a species.

Full scale wars we've experienced are nothing more than amplified clan wars we see in the animal kingdom. A difference in interest causing major conflict.

Wars are not and will never be the same thing as group competition.... among ANY species. It was not until around 10 thousand years ago with the agricultural revolution that humans have engaged in war. If group and inter group competition was anything like war 300,000 years ago we would have been one big tribe a long time ago. What we actually see are thousands of tribes existing at the same time over the course of a very long time; just like every other communal group of mammals living together. The way these tribes occasionally competed with each other were not so different from the way currently existing groups of other primates such as chimpanzees and bonobos compete with each other. There has never been a recorded case of any group of primates banding together and attempting take all of an opposing groups resources while either killing all members of that group, assimilating them into their own group, or conquering them and seeking to change their way of living. This has been the result of every war with a distinct winner and its goal is nothing less. We have records of competition among human tribes in the new world before we had even settled here that engaged in "war" but not one record of of any of them "winning" without our interference.

The goal of competition is protecting your resources and yourself, every form of competition in the natural world has this goal. If the goal of such competition was was to kill the opponent then nearly 50% of all organism who engaged in that type of competition would immediately be removed from the gene pool.

War is competition. Competition for land, resources, ideals, whatever you can think of.

Thats why when we watch tlc or national geographic, or the discovery channel and they are talking about how species engage in competition we are supposed to say to ourselves "Oh war, hes talking about war."

This competition fuels progress. This progress is the backbone for the change

lol wat

and revolutions we've had throughout our lifetimes.
yeah like the industrial revolution right. everybody remembers the industrial war.

Personally, I think war is the catalyst for human progress, and this conflict and competition is what drives humans to excel in technological and even idealogical advances. It took a war for slavery to be abolished, it took a war for Nazi Germany to collapse. The values you hold dearly have all been established through bloodshed and destruction.
So I pour a full pan of bacon grease down all the sinks in my house and clog each one of them. One hour later I come back and pour draino and unclog all of them. And I say to myself

"It took draino to unclog all these sinks, the flawless plumbing in this house that i hold so dearly could have only been established through the two active ingredients in draino"

My friend wes comes and says "you could have just not poured bacon grease down all the sinks."

I hit him with my frying pan.

**** I don't even have enough time to keep going I just took a look at what I had left of your post. If you are going to college take a cultural or physical anthropology class.

Top Bottom