• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm a Sonic main, I need some help

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I'm a sonic main and i'm having a ***** of a time against one of my friends, especially when we play 4 player matches but even in 1 on 1's.. He loves to choose Zelda or Pit, plant himself in the corner of the stage, and spam the projectiles that can be controlled after they're launched.

The biggest ***** is that he commonly chooses the Mario Kart stage. He loves to stand under the right or left platforms, spam the hell out of those attacks, then when i (or whoever) finally go over to get him, he always finds a way to roll behind me (or, again, whoever happens to try to get him) despite me trying to dodge or roll behind him, whatever. He then does a grab or a smash attack and knocks me off the shallow edge of the stage.

My friends and I have played Smash religiously since 64 and done a few tournaments here and there over the years. But we've never really bothered learning much about advanced techniques. Most of us are core gamers, but we tend to play Smash in a more casual style.

Are there any advanced techs that can be used against his spamming of projectiles and hiding in corners? He even does this in 1-on-1's no matter who he is playing against, and somehow it always works for him. He just starts building up the opponents damage meter, then when they get close to him it's a quick grab/smash and death.

I know I probably "suck" at Smash in the eyes of all of you because I don't tend to use advanced techs. But my friends and I grew up on the Smash games, and have had so much fun playing the way we do. We just never really need to get in to the metagame i guess.

Tesh

Smash Hero
We don't usually play on stages with permanent "walk offs" like mario circuit. Camping those walkoffs is pretty annoying and thats pretty much why we dont play those stages. The simplest options is probably to run past him and pivot grab then backthrow him like he was planning to do to you. Or just use Dthrow. Just wait for him to do something and then grab him and throw him off the side.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
We don't usually play on stages with permanent "walk offs" like mario circuit. Camping those walkoffs is pretty annoying and thats pretty much why we dont play those stages. The simplest options is probably to run past him and pivot grab then backthrow him like he was planning to do to you. Or just use Dthrow. Just wait for him to do something and then grab him and throw him off the side.
thanks, i'll give those ideas a shot

Tenki

Smash Hero
If you wanna be a little fancy...
You can cancel your side b's charge on the ground by hitting shield (as long as it's not fully charged).

If you've cornered someone, you can run towards them and start charging side B at about the distance they would be if they rolled forward. After about a second (or less), hit shield.

If they're conditioned to roll towards you when you run at them, the charge might be enough to make them flinch and roll towards you. In that case, shielding will put you in a position that you can use an aerial or grab.

And if they don't, then nothing's really changed so you can either run away, approach again, or sit there and try to bait again.

At first, it's kind of like 'hoping' your opponents will do what you want them to, but if you can pick up habits/patterns they have (ex: maybe they spotdodge when you're right next to them, or they like to attack right after getting thrown), then it becomes 'reading', and you can almost always find a way to counter them.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
walk and shield.

my guess is that your friend has no strategy outside of "Camp and shoot."

baby steps... first, learn how to get into his zone. Then, learn how to fight (AND DESTROY) him in his zone. Once you take him out of his comfort zone, the wins should start to pile up in your favor.

In 4 man games, don't focus on killing with Sonic... focus on staying alive.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
While you're at it, you and your friends should come to this.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311949

I'll more than likely be there and I could help you out. Competition is steep but it comes with the territory and if you enjoy a challenge (i.e learning how to deal with chaingrabs, projectile spam, edgehogging and generally "cheap tactics"), you should keep up with the tournament scene.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
While you're at it, you and your friends should come to this.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311949

I'll more than likely be there and I could help you out. Competition is steep but it comes with the territory and if you enjoy a challenge (i.e learning how to deal with chaingrabs, projectile spam, edgehogging and generally "cheap tactics"), you should keep up with the tournament scene.
that sounds awesome! im going to be at a football game on saturday though. i'll definitley keep an eye out for some future weekend tourneys. got any you recommend?

walk and shield.

my guess is that your friend has no strategy outside of "Camp and shoot."

baby steps... first, learn how to get into his zone. Then, learn how to fight (AND DESTROY) him in his zone. Once you take him out of his comfort zone, the wins should start to pile up in your favor.

In 4 man games, don't focus on killing with Sonic... focus on staying alive.
thanks for the tips. and yeah, that's exactly how he plays. i'll take your advice and keep working on it. also, oddly enough, i seem to do much better in 4 way matches, and i've always played to get the kill rather than conserving.

If you wanna be a little fancy...
You can cancel your side b's charge on the ground by hitting shield (as long as it's not fully charged).

If you've cornered someone, you can run towards them and start charging side B at about the distance they would be if they rolled forward. After about a second (or less), hit shield.

If they're conditioned to roll towards you when you run at them, the charge might be enough to make them flinch and roll towards you. In that case, shielding will put you in a position that you can use an aerial or grab.

And if they don't, then nothing's really changed so you can either run away, approach again, or sit there and try to bait again.

At first, it's kind of like 'hoping' your opponents will do what you want them to, but if you can pick up habits/patterns they have (ex: maybe they spotdodge when you're right next to them, or they like to attack right after getting thrown), then it becomes 'reading', and you can almost always find a way to counter them.
thanks for the tip. i'll give this a shot. with all the help im getting here, i should be able to take him soon. and yeah, what you said about "reading" makes sense.

thank you everyone!!

Top Bottom