• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Illusion Cancel

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Hey guys,

I tried searching and I can't quite find out how some people do illusion cancels. I went into training mode and this where I got the most success:

Short cancel: Mash B (very fast!) as you start the move.
Long cancel: Mash B (very fast!) right before he flies across.

I really think everyone should put some time into this. The amount of horizontal distance Wolf covers with the long cancel in such a short time is outrageous, and the short cancel is also great for distance but keeps Wolf lower. Since Wolf has practically no horizontal movement after his recovery moves, this is a very viable alternative.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
There were a bunch of threads on this a long time ago, but to get used to it, I'd just go in practice mode and try it constantly WITHOUT mashing buttons. I usually press B right when wolf's claw is moving (as he's about to lunge), just find a timing that works for you and practice it until it becomes muscle memory. Don't mash buttons, because then you're relying a lot more on luck than actual timing.

Illusion cancel is most useful for recovering above your opponent when you don't have any other choices, IMO.

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
I have two questions.

1.) What are the uses of this? The only use I immediately see is to gain a large amount of horizontal distance. This seems most applicable above the ledge. However, it seems as though Wolf carries a lot of lag as the illusion ends in mid-air. As such, I would have to see this could only be used for ledge recovery or to recover is the opponent is below the stage.

2.) Is Wolf able to attack in mid air as the illusion ends?

ThatGuy

Smash Master
The illusion itself is shorter, but a long cancelled illusion will cover more distance because of the horizontal velocity Wolf has after the illusion stops.

So in your first case, a long cancelled illusion might be better over an edgehogging opponent because you would drift more towards the middle of the stage than stop cold next to the edge after the illusion, thus avoiding punishment. Height matters though; if you're too low then the cancel is not really worth it.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
I've been hit off the stage and I knew I was gonna die so I did the long illusion cancel and barely made it to the edge hahaha

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
I see, so the tech is all about recovering from the sides of the screen instead of waiting until Wolf is below the stage.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
I personally like to use the short version to fake out opponents on the ground then if they end up trying to attack in anticipation of me flying over them (which usually happens) I can follow up quickly with a D-Smash or F-Smash. If I end up a little too far from them then Fire Wolf makes a nice approach. Unconventional tactics back to back make great mind games. I also like using the long version of the cancel where you Waveland for getting some space from the enemy.

WillE

Smash Cadet
I don't know the timing for the short cancel but for the long cancel I usually press B again right after the white light appears on Wolf.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
I see, so the tech is all about recovering from the sides of the screen instead of waiting until Wolf is below the stage.
you can also use it to surprise an opponent by recovering higher than they thought you would and flying over their heads. There isn't that much lag on landing, so if they weren't expecting it you're usually safe.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I've found flash cancel very useful, especially long cancel for recovery. I've faked people out with short cancel, though, then actually used it and hit with the sweetspot, only it was on the ground so it didn't spike. Still a great move for faking your opponent out, though.

TheTickleMonster

Smash Rookie
Its odd, but directly after i tilt and hit B to start the illusion, if i tilt in the opposite direction(quickly, but late enough to miss the reversal input timing) then i can long cancel consistently. I think the tilting is just allowing me the timing i need to hit b- obviously the tilt is not required, but the act of tilting that quickly may just be timing out the second be perfectly. Who knows though.

Top Bottom