• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Illinois-based UGC to host 'Open' Tournament in December, $40k Pot Bonus Announced

A new tournament has been announced that will be hosting Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

This new tournament, which is being held by UGC Events as part of their Open series of tournaments, is looking to hit the ground running by announcing a massive prize pot of $40,000 split between the two games! Normally, pot bonuses for Smash have not reached these large numbers, but with the UGC Open being a massive outlier, holding $15000 each for Melee and Smash Wii U’s singles tournaments and $5000 for each game’s doubles tournament, top-level talent from all over will surely be looking to compete in this brand new tournament series.

They’re not pulling any punches when it comes to making this fledgling tournament top class either; by recruiting Matthew “MattDotZeb” Zabrowski to organize Melee and Bassem “PG | Bear” Dahdouh to organize Smash Wii U, the UGC Smash Open is ensured to be run as smoothly and professionally as possible. Both figures are seasoned veterans of running fantastic tournaments for their respective games and are looking to show why they have the reputation they’ve earned by spearheading this new winter premiere. We have quotes from both MattDotZeb and Bear pertaining to this announcement:

“In getting this event set up with the Ultimate Gaming Championship team, I have the utmost confidence that the UGC Smash Open will be a great tournament experience. I am thrilled to be working with their team and Bear to provide an exciting and well run event for spectators and competitors," said MattDotZeb.

“The Smash Wii U community has been growing so much since the game’s debut in 2014. I am really excited to be working with Ultimate Gaming Championship to provide a large scale opportunity with UGC Smash Open. I am looking forward to working alongside the UGC team and Mattdotzeb to provide a premier Smash Bros. winter event experience," said Bear.

The UGC Smash Open will be held from December 2nd to December 4th in Collinsville, IL. Information regarding Ultimate Gaming Championship can be found here on their website, and details of the planned venue can be found here. To follow who will be taking part in this event, you can check out the smash.gg page.

Be sure to stay tuned to Smashboards for more news on the UGC Smash Open as it comes out. If you’re excited to see players duke it out for one of the largest pot bonuses in Smash history this winter, let us know in the comment section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

Wow another major Melee and Smash 4 event in the last 3 months of the year from a team that runs all kinds of cool Halo major events?

The competitive Smash hype never dies! :grin:

Wow! 40,000 pot bonus?! The competitive scene has grown a lot in the last few years! I can't wait!

awesome, finally something NEARBY, and not on the coasts that I can go to. I, for one , am excited to go to a real tournament.

One of the biggest prize pools in Smash history, and it's coming right to my front door. I've always wanted to attend a major. Now I'll finally have the chance.

Wow! 40,000 pot bonus?! The competitive scene has grown a lot in the last few years! I can't wait!
If the pots keep growing organically like this, then Smash is gonna be settttttttttttttttttttttttt to last as an esport for a very long time from a financial standpoint (for the competitors).

After that we still got a lot of financial things to deal with, but this is a potential nice new gigantic step forward.
awesome, finally something NEARBY, and not on the coasts that I can go to. I, for one , am excited to go to a real tournament.
If you go, be sure to enjoy everything at the event and don't be afraid to explore, or even watch any number of unofficial side events.

Last edited:
If the pots keep growing organically like this, then Smash is gonna be settttttttttttttttttttttttt to last as an esport for a very long time from a financial standpoint (for the competitors).

After that we still got a lot of financial things to deal with, but this is a potential nice new gigantic step forward.
I totally agree, like you said, if the pots keep growing we may as well invest in other financial problems that the community has like better streaming equipment, bigger venues, more top players etc.

Top Bottom