• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike VS. Projectiles

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
O.k.
Let's get something straight, Ike wields a sword, Sword=Melee fighting.
Gun/Projectile=Ranged fighting.
Sword vs. Projectile + Ike's slowness = hard to get to melee.

The point I'm trying to make is maybe someone should make a guide to find what projectiles will out prioritize Ike's moves.

Such as Ik's QD beating Snake's rocket thing.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure almost all projectiles beat Quick Draw, as it only attacks when it hits the character.

stuff like Neutral or Forward air seem like they'd be best. Or in Pit's case, jumping over it. (He still spams it, though) With Fox you can just charge in, but you'll take damage doing so.

I can see projectiles being a big reason why Ike won't be that high up on the tier list. I got wrecked by Projectile spammers when I played so...

This is just my opinions, though. I didn't get to play for that long (Only about 10 hours or so), so...

Doval

Smash Lord
can't he quick draw after he gets hit!
Pretty sure that's a question, not an exclamation.

He can, but you'll just run face-first into the next projectile. By the time your hit lag and hit stun wears off, the next projectile is already leaving your opponent's hand/bow/blaster/stun gun/arm cannon.

Hostility

Smash Ace
Most projectiles I find go through ike's sword. And yea ike has a hard time with projectiles. Honestly you probably shouldn't focus on trying to hit projectiles with your sword, since it can just leave you open for the other person to hit you after your laggy attack.

Powersheilding is the best way I've found to deal with most projectiles. it works great vs wolf's laser or waddle dees.

Toon link's projectiles give you the hardest time I think. toonlink's boomerang not so much since powersheilding works well, but the arrows and bombs can be spammed so fast that you can't really powersheild everything. For these projectiles I'm not quite sure how to get past them other than full jumping over them and airdodging when they try and hit you in the air.

comboking

Smash Master
Pretty sure that's a question, not an exclamation.

He can, but you'll just run face-first into the next projectile. By the time your hit lag and hit stun wears off, the next projectile is already leaving your opponent's hand/bow/blaster/stun gun/arm cannon.
okay it was a question!

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
so would ike be that horrid against range users? marth had little trouble with them but idk about ike

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I actually haven't had a problem with projectile spam; by mixing up the Air Draw and the Quick Draw, depending on where your opponent is attacking you, you can whiff the Draw and get close to them pretty quickly. But we'll see if it keeps working well in the future.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Well, I'm just sayin', it would not only desplay the Epic'ness of Ike, but it might actually work, Because of Ike's QD having almost to zero amount of starting and ending lag, deflecting it might seem like a valid approch with projectile users.

Go to Kirk's guide and look at the 1vs.1's and there will be a section of Ike vs. Snake, Kirk successfully defelcted many of Snake's rockets.

Hostility

Smash Ace
I actually haven't had a problem with projectile spam; by mixing up the Air Draw and the Quick Draw, depending on where your opponent is attacking you, you can whiff the Draw and get close to them pretty quickly. But we'll see if it keeps working well in the future.
Most projectiles either hit ike out of the forward B animation (wolf's lasers for example) or cause ike to hit the projectile leaving you open (dedede's waddle dees for example). So using quickdraw isn't going to work well. And the problem with airdraws is that you can't do anything after you forward B in mid air, so you're essentially doing exactly what the projectile user wants you to do and giving them a free hit.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I'm not suggesting using a Draw right into the projectile. You have to time the previous projectile so that you Draw between attacks. Drawing into a projectile repeatedly is just stupid, haha.

Mixing up the Air Draw behind and in front of the opponent is a good idea, as well as fast falling; while you risk getting attacked, Ike can typically shield or spot dodge pretty quick after the Air Draw's landing.

Doval

Smash Lord
I'm not suggesting using a Draw right into the projectile. You have to time the previous projectile so that you Draw between attacks. Drawing into a projectile repeatedly is just stupid, haha.
That's the thing, there's no time to Quick Draw between projectiles for a lot of characters (Pit's arrows, Ivysaur's Razor Leaf, Dedede's Waddle Dees, most likely Mario's Fireballs as well) if they spam to their fullest capacity. Which makes it a futile/useless strategy against the projectiles that would give you the most trouble in the first place.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I do prefer running with shielding and roll dodging and spot dodging to any Draw. But I was just suggesting the ways Draws might be useful.

Hostility

Smash Ace
I do prefer running with shielding and roll dodging and spot dodging to any Draw. But I was just suggesting the ways Draws might be useful.
That isn't reliable either. Since shields are much less reliable in brawl, the projectiles will eventually just shield stab you, that coupled with the fact that the projectiles have shield stun which will give you almost no time to advance before the next projectile comes and you have to shield it.

And shield rolling and spot dodging aren't great alternatives either. Rolling a lot makes you very predictable, and you will get punished if you roll. Spot dodging has the same problem, except you can't even really advance while you spot dodge, making it an even worse option to use.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Have you really tried that? A good combination of running, shielding, rolling, and spot dodging has never failed me, though you'll take a little damage, of course.

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
just like to say that hostility knows what he is talking about. There is no set way to get through projectiles, depends on the character. Quick draw does not help. Also most characters throw projectiles not to hit you, but limit your options and put you in a position they want you to. Not everything is what it appears.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I know what I'm talking about too, I've logged over 300 hours on the game and play with about 10 other people and against every character in the game consistently. =P

I never said there was a set way. There is no one plan that will get you close. But in my experience, Quick Draw can sometimes help, and that I recommend a run/shield/roll/dodge method to approach them.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Air Draw.

Shield and then run to shield again.

Jump to insta-air dodge.

Roll.

That should be enough for Ike to deal with projectile spammers.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Indeed, the fact that air dodging does not lag nor stop momentum makes it a good way to avoid projectiles. Just jump, airdodge run, spot dodge, jump, airdodge, roll, etc.

Just mix it up a little, getting all the invincibility frames you can.

Then when in range, aether for the SA. ^^

Top Bottom