• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike vs Falco/Wolf/Fox

Sacrifar

Smash Rookie
My friend plays with Falco as his main. I used to own him in Melee thanks to Marth. Upon getting Brawl I switched to Ike, and owned him as well. However, now, he owns me every match and I just can't seem to beat him anymore. What to do? he spams his gun a lot, and ike seems to slow to catch up to him. Please, tell me what to do..it's extremely annoying having to beat your friend at brawl easily and now having lots of trouble against him...

Do I have to change characters?
If so, which one to change? what tactics must I use with Ike...

Help me, guys.

BTW, I don't have videos now, will put some up soon

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
yah i have trouble with that to but with wolf u should just jump across the shots and counter when he trys to smash u thats what my friend does with his wolf maybe it will work with falco too

Jamaz

Smash Rookie
Spot dodge and roll towards until you are just out of melee range and if he tries to attack, try to dodge or shield and punish with AAA, grab, or short hop Nair. If he decides to roll away to get distance dash attack forward, and if he rolls past you I kinda like using ftilt behind me because it's easy to execute compared to turning completely around and trying to do another move or grab. Up-smash with good timing is very punishing too if he tries to roll past you. Personally I'm not too found of countering when I get right there because sometimes Wolf will shield and punish me for just standing there with counter. I'm just trying to remember random stuff I've done before, but others might think they're bad strats.

I think in general with what everyone agrees with though is approaching by air might be difficult, but you can spot dodge and roll within close distance to try to initiate something. This might be harder against Wolf since his blaster will punch you and you have to assume he will smash forward past you sometimes.

Sacrifar

Smash Rookie
Spot dodge and roll towards until you are just out of melee range and if he tries to attack, try to dodge or shield and punish with AAA, grab, or short hop Nair. If he decides to roll away to get distance dash attack forward, and if he rolls past you I kinda like using ftilt behind me because it's easy to execute compared to turning completely around and trying to do another move or grab. Up-smash with good timing is very punishing too if he tries to roll past you. Personally I'm not too found of countering when I get right there because sometimes Wolf will shield and punish me for just standing there with counter. I'm just trying to remember random stuff I've done before, but others might think they're bad strats.

I think in general with what everyone agrees with though is approaching by air might be difficult, but you can spot dodge and roll within close distance to try to initiate something. This might be harder against Wolf since his blaster will punch you and you have to assume he will smash forward past you sometimes.

The wolf I play with (and pretty much anybody who uses Wolf) constantly uses his Fsmash on the ground and keeps closing in between me. His forward smash covers a lot of distance and he repeatedly uses this to get close to me, then rolls away from me and repeats the same thing over again

Gill

Smash Journeyman
I hate to tell you, but at least against Wolf and Falco, you may need to switch characters. Its almost impossible to keep pressure on any of those three when they want to play keepaway.

Jamaz

Smash Rookie
Use practice mode and try to get used to Wolf's forward smash distance. It's even better if you have a friend to use the other controller. Once you learn the perfect distance of the smash, you can punish even with F-smash.

Most likely if you are just out of range or within range of a Wolf F-smash, they won't risk covering it (it's pretty far) so also practice trying to gauge the distance when Wolf will either push you forward or go straight through you.

If you want even more practice, practice spot dodging his F-Smash AND remember how far behind you he is so you have the perfect attack to counter it. If a Wolf is in front of me and I think he will land right behind me, I will f-tilt behind me. If I shield and get pushed forward (but am still in front of Wolf) I will immediately AAA or shield grab.

Practice works wonders, so that's the best advice I can give you.

thx

Smash Ace
after the chain throw he will try to spam lasers keep in his face in my opinion and make sure you can rack up damage when he trys to recover or when he trys to run away from you to laser camp in this match you have to play calm and make every hit count

Zeik188

Smash Cadet
I'm sure you already know this, but just remember:Those small taps wont kill you.

Last night, the pikachu I play agaisnt all the time played that spam game untill he got me well above 100% (175% actually). But when he finally stopped, he couldnt get a clean hit on me to finish me, and I managed to rack him up to 150% and kill him before he could kill me.

If you're quick, all those small taps wont mean much if you can finish them First. Just remember that Ike's Forward A can kill a LOT sooner then Falco or Wolfs.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
u could always pick a world with platforms like battle field Yoshi's island(brawl one) and smashvill although my advice is kinda nubish u can at least find a spot to rest and maybe use some aerials to get close

Sacrifar

Smash Rookie
Does this mean I should just change characters when playing with those characters? Could anyone recommend some other characters which are awesome and can pwn fast characters? I now need 2 mains because I find myself stuggling to keep up with falco, wolf and fox (Falco in particular, he is both strong and fast)

thx

Smash Ace
i think ike can get his way around most counters its just a matter of practicing so i wouldnt say pick up another character but if you want to w.e try one of those best characters in the game like gw MK D3 Toon or something if your looking to beat someone you cant

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
So, a week ago in Miami (85 entrants), I was beaten by a Falco player named Tommy G, who quickly became the undisputed best Falco in Florida. I was beaten bad.

This week at Gigabits (132 entrants), I played against Tommy G again. After losing the first time, rather than *****ing about the matchup like everyone else does, I FIGURED IT OUT. I took Tommy G to game 3 after beating him on PS1 and losing on Lylat. Third match was Smashville, I at 2 stock 15% and he was at 1 stock 0%. I naired off the stage trying to jab combo, and died (A reality of Ike play, you just have to run it back when something like this happens). I took him to 95% (one tilt, smash, or uair and the match is over), then lost the match.

I almost beat a top level Falco. As Ike.

You guys need to stop being homos about matchups and figure them out, rather than changing characters or whatever it is we say we have to do to win.

Tips:

Jab combo

Don't suck at turning your jab combos

Ledge games to force him into the center of the stage

QD gets you hit by lasers

LASER LAG IS A LOT LONGER THAN PEOPLE THINK. YOU CAN FIT FAIRS IN. AND IF YOU GET HIT BY LIKE 3 LASERS AND THEN HIT FALCO WITH A FORWARD B, YOU JUST WON THE ENCOUNTER.

These tips also work against Wolf. I am admittedly inexperienced versus Fox.

Zero%

Smash Cadet
i stick with ike no matter what ..... but beating a laser spamer falco is pretty hard and dont even talk about falco chain grab it owns ike badly . but anyways keep your game with ike remember any charather can beat any charather it depends on the person holding the controller . thats what i think.

Samus_2021

Smash Journeyman
Does this mean I should just change characters when playing with those characters? Could anyone recommend some other characters which are awesome and can pwn fast characters? I now need 2 mains because I find myself stuggling to keep up with falco, wolf and fox (Falco in particular, he is both strong and fast)
Perhaps Pit could be an alternative? With his two reflector types they can help hamper the use of lazers:

- His tilt B acts as a reflector but is also good at racking up damage. Once trapped even while your opponent is DI'ing out of it, you're still racking up a bit of damage as they're trying to escape. Just be careful of the slight lag once you stop using it. Stop tapping B once you see they're about to escape.

- Since the space animals can rush pretty hard, throw out a down B right before attack to turn them around. Use this sparingly and it can confuse them for just the right amount of time to breathe and get your bearings.

Since Pit's smashes are not particularly effective until higher percentages, you'll have to be on top of your dodging/shilding game. To rack up damage make liberal use of his N-air or his U-air.

Note. I didn't include Pit's arrow attack since Fox and Wolf and to a certain extent Falco can counter that easily. Falco might be able to be tricked into eating an arrow or two if you randomize the time you charge the attack.

Kirk

Smash Champion

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Kirk, just so you know... videos 2 and 3 in that set have major skipping going on. Video skipping only; the audio keeps up just fine, strangely enough? Or so it seems.

On a more positive note, thank you for posting them. Even with those glitches in the video, I learned a lot, and it's good to see Ike seems to have what it takes...

Kirk

Smash Champion
Kirk, just so you know... videos 2 and 3 in that set have major skipping going on. Video skipping only; the audio keeps up just fine, strangely enough? Or so it seems.

On a more positive note, thank you for posting them. Even with those glitches in the video, I learned a lot, and it's good to see Ike seems to have what it takes...
Yeah, that seems to happen a lot when my friend records...either something going on when capturing or when compressing or w/e. I don't think they're too bad and still very watchable lol.

Ike has what it takes to beat every character...it just all depends on how skilled you players are :p

I hate Falco I hate Falco...

Sacrifar

Smash Rookie
Wow I got a lot of feedback from you guys, thanks a lot, I almost feel ashamed of myself for ever doubting Ike, but to be honest, I'm going to have to really practice with Ike to beat Falco and other fast characters. To be honest, I never meant to start this thread with the suggestion of having to change to another character. I just wanted to use another character against only those types of characters, then switching back to Ike. Ike has always been my main, and will always be. Thanks guys for helping me out, if anyone figures out some more strategies to beat Falco/Fox/Wolf, I would appreciate them

Top Bottom