• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Video Guide Done

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ42_STL1-w

I HATTTTEEEEE voicing stuff. Feels unnatural to me.

Covered most of the basics and some stuff people overlook

Characteristics
+/-
+Good air mobility, fast falling speed, good launching power, and solid combo game
-gimped easily, "slow," comboed easily, etc.

Movement (we've seen Izaw do this section a thousand times)
->pivot to tilts
->run to shield
->pivoting
->Foxtrots
->dashdancing
->run->shield->ledge
->etc.
(b reverses mentioned later on along with wavebouncing)

Recovery Stuff
->QD can be acted out of after hitting someone in the air, however if you don't make contact with someone you free fall.
->pretty buns as an attack move since it leaves you vulnerable, yet it does have high priority and can be used to close gaps
->wavebouncing and breversing it

->Aether's superarmor at beginning
->Vulnerable at top of jump, can even be grabbed out of it

Comboes/Strings/Tilts
->dthrow->aerials
->dtilt (mentioned u-tilt is godlike)
->fast fall nair->anything
->etc, various percentages they stop being true comboes at, etc.

"Jab resets even though it's dair"
->how dang useless it is
->functional mostly at lower %'s
->still situational, just trying to be cute and mention that it does exist

Eruption
->really freaking good as an edgeguard move
->can slide with it
->can b reverse and slide from it

Dash Attack Cancelled Grab
->Punishable, but if you REALLY want to fish for a grab you do go a bit farther if you use it. Video Example.

Edgeguarding tools
->ftilt, dtilt, fair, bair, fsmash, dsmash, dair, etc. Went over the safe options (left out aether and eruption since those were mentioned

Customs
->Noteworthy ones like Tempest, AW, AD, Paralyzing Counter, CQC, etc.

Didn't mention anything, but if you guys watch the videos and I had wrong information or something on something feel free to point it out. I only mentioned stuff I felt people overlooked about him and the basics, didn't realyl go over his ground moves outside of tilts.

Pretty much it.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Looks pretty good, though I would have mentioned Uthrow as well and how it covers most of Dthrow's combos after Dthrow stops comboing.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
Looks pretty good, though I would have mentioned Uthrow as well and how it covers most of Dthrow's combos after Dthrow stops comboing.
Figured I was missing some stuff with throws. I'll jot down some more stuff you guys list and put it in the description and comment section as well.

SoundChow

Smash Apprentice
Great job on the guide, it covered most of the major points on how to play ike.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I didn't see anything on jabbing and how important Ike's jab is to his gameplay.

Turnaround Jab being one of Ike's easiest punishes against attacks on his shield or whiffs, and Ike's jab cancelling if jab 2 misses can lead into some easy damage racking. Jab 1-2 can frame trap into grab if they aren't quick to catch on, and jab 1 can cancel into D-Tilt on some of the cast pretty reasonably.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
I didn't see anything on jabbing and how important Ike's jab is to his gameplay.

Turnaround Jab being one of Ike's easiest punishes against attacks on his shield or whiffs, and Ike's jab cancelling if jab 2 misses can lead into some easy damage racking. Jab 1-2 can frame trap into grab if they aren't quick to catch on, and jab 1 can cancel into D-Tilt on some of the cast pretty reasonably.

Again there's simply no way for me to cover everything so I mentioned as much stuff as possible as I could from what you guys suggested on the other thread. Turn around jabs weren't mentioned but if they were mentioned I would have gone with it.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Well that'd probably be more in an advanced guide. You did say it was a Basic guide after all.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I know it would be a lot to ask, but have you though about also making a dedicated "Ike Throw Game" and "Ike Neutral Game" videos? Could then add annotations in the first video linking to the other two, post all three in a news post like that one Sonic post we have on the front page just now. Could be a good way to generate more knowledge/interest in Ike.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
I know it would be a lot to ask, but have you though about also making a dedicated "Ike Throw Game" and "Ike Neutral Game" videos? Could then add annotations in the first video linking to the other two, post all three in a news post like that one Sonic post we have on the front page just now. Could be a good way to generate more knowledge/interest in Ike.
Sounds genius to me. Would also cut down work a bit more since both of those videos would be short to me.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ikes grab game is more important than his throw game.
kslahflkhaskelfjalsef I hate that terminology game between "grab" and "throw".

A video showing the handful of grab set ups Ike has, his amazing pummel, then focusing on all of the combos for Dthrow and their ranges, Uthrow and their ranges, when Dthrow starts killing, the uses of Fthrow and Bthrow for setting up off stage situations/edgeguarding. Ideally it would note how Rage effects Dthrow and Uthrow (puts characters out of combo range sooner, but also into Dthrow kill range sooner as well).

Despite having one of the better throw games in the game, not many people fully understand it. They just think Ike has some basic combos out of Dthrow and nothing more.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
You can talk about all the wonders of Ike's throw rewards, but you also need to talk about Ike's different grab options, how lousy his standing grab is and how much better his pivot grab and roll cancelled grab is compared to his standing grab. The difference makes his shield grab rather unreliable compared to his other options.

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
Something I should point out:

As you mentioned, there are no guaranteed followups to ledge trumping. However, if you can predict them airdodging your bair, then instead of bairing you can climb back up and prepare an Eruption to take a stock! =D

Top Bottom