• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike... Too popular?

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice
Ok, Ike was planned to be my main since Nintendo announced him BUT it seems hes just wayyyy to popular, for starters theres about 20 Ike clans already which is kinda stupid why not just merge. Does anybody agree with me on this... It seems most of the well known pros have already converted to Ike for instance Kirk, Azen(may stay with Marth not sure), and XSilvenX. I don't know about Ken no idea who he plans on playing

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why does it matter how many people enjoy your character? Does it ruin your enjoyment?

Ike also suffers the same "problems" Roy suffered. He looks cool and flashy, he's strong and he's "manly". All reasons why a lot of Casual players automatically flock to him.

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice
Re

Why does it matter how many people enjoy your character? Does it ruin your enjoyment?

Ike also suffers the same "problems" Roy suffered. He looks cool and flashy, he's strong and he's "manly". All reasons why a lot of Casual players automatically flock to him.
true true but some of the local people at my school are maining him also which is kinda gay but also not... its always fun to be the better of the characters... and i disagree Roy looks like a douche in my opinion but Marth looks gayer lol

LuisMa316

Smash Cadet
Yeah i don't see why this should matter.

Ike's one my favorites FE lords ever.

I think it's mostly because his games did make it to the US so he already had a fanbase.

LuisMa316

Smash Cadet
true true but some of the local people at my school are maining him also which is kinda gay but also not... its always fun to be the better of the characters... and i disagree Roy looks like a douche in my opinion but Marth looks gayer lol
what are you 13? what are you using gay as an insult.?

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
True. Melee built up Marth and Roy's reputation outside of the U.S. as well as the franchise. It has hit the ground running with Ike and he's already got a fan base to make him popular. I don't think its just the Roy factor but it could have some effect.

This shouldn't bother you much. If originality means so much to you, then show your friends how to play Ike correctly after the release.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
yea check out the total post of characters in this game in this forums. He is the second highest so it is like that he is the most 2nd most popular character with Sonic being more popular.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well to let you know, FE9/10 happen to be really awesome games. Ike by far is the best lord character that ever existed (after Sigurd, who unfortunately didn't become playable).

Ike doesn't counter Marth, but at least unlike Roy he has advantages that make the match winnable. Range and power obviously.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
dont you ever speak bad about roy again or ill do da nasty wid ya

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
"My character is too popular" seems like a silly thing to complain about.

Having more people play Ike, especially well-known pros, is probably one of the best things that could happen to him. It means his metagame will develop much more quickly than that of other, less popular characters. You'll find more, and better, advice on Ike's boards. There'll be more videos to watch and learn from. Better still, you'll be able to play against more Ikes to find out firsthand what works and what doesn't.

If you can't distinguish yourself by your choice of character, distinguish yourself by your skill with that character.

-GK

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Actually, Ken has been playing a bit of Brawl.

And yes, his main according to him is also Ike. He said Marth's too cheap/overpowered in Brawl so he switched. :laugh:

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
It seems most of the well known pros have already converted to Ike for instance Kirk, Azen(may stay with Marth not sure), and XSilvenX. I don't know about Ken no idea who he plans on playing
lol
as much as kirk is the most helpful person on these boards, he's far from being a "well known pro"

and xsilvenx sucks
his main loses to my roommate's non-mains

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
wow ur pissing me off with ur insults to roy and marth srsly go play dk if u think too popular means stupid for u at least hell get some ppl playing him cuz ****, noone are playin him

§leepy God

Smash Master
I agree, but that doesn't mean you can't main him becasue of that. One thing I get dissapointed in is not maining you favoirte character becasue they are too "weak" or "too strong" or maybe even "doesn't look right." But at this point right now, Ike is almost as populer as Sonic at this point.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
^ totaly agree :) but i think more ppl have dk or others as their fav char than the ppl who play them :(

PwnageLlama

Smash Cadet
wow ur pissing me off with ur insults to roy and marth srsly go play dk if u think too popular means stupid for u at least hell get some ppl playing him cuz ****, noone are playin him
SOMEONE THROW HIM A FREEZIE!

Wow, you get angry because someone insults your favorite game character...

On a side note about DK, a later Dojo update revealed that he had many meteor smashes.

I don't see any problem with playing a popular character.

Can someone tell me why so many people are worried about their characters being popular?

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Ike's popularity is pretty irrelevant.

He's obviously one of the hardest characters to play so many of the people who like him won't have the ability to use him effectively and will either look to use someone else or drown in a pool of mediocrity until they "get it".

Ike reminds me of Roy in that regard, except Ike is looking like a much better character than Roy was.

Duker

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me why so many people are worried about their characters being popular?
It's more fun being 1 of thousand than 1 of 1 million... originality basicly. Personally I want to be uniqe in everything I do, but alas, Ike is popular... guess I can't get everything.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
obviously you don't care enough about being unique
if being unique is so important to you, change character
better yet play with wiimote or something

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
^ lol... yeah.. being the best player with a wiimote would be original... kinda like being able to say your alphabet backwards (which i can do)... but it doesn't get you well known

PwnageLlama

Smash Cadet
It's more fun being 1 of thousand than 1 of 1 million... originality basicly. Personally I want to be uniqe in everything I do, but alas, Ike is popular... guess I can't get everything.
I dunno if you play professionally, but if none of your group plays Ike...

Duker

Smash Journeyman
I haven't had any possibility whatsoever to play profesionally... until now, since Brawl is Online too. But the closest to a group I'm in is Deus de Animus, which is mainly for Ike....

obviously you don't care enough about being unique
if being unique is so important to you, change character
better yet play with wiimote or something
I'm not unreasonable. There will ALWAYS be someone that plays the same char.

Obviously you care too much about being a ********.

If you're offended to that, it's how I felt.

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice
I haven't had any possibility whatsoever to play profesionally... until now, since Brawl is Online too.

I'm not unreasonable. There will ALWAYS be someone that plays the same char.

Obviously you care too much about being a ********.

If you're offended to that, it's how I felt.
agreed. i havnt seen aments name once without him being in a flame war on these forums.

comboking

Smash Master
well my friends uncle tests games and most of his friends who test gamems and they said ike is the worst character!

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice

well my friends uncle tests games and most of his friends who test gamems and they said ike is the worst character!
ur friends uncle is a noob. and most likely that whole comment was just bull**** lol. Ike is most likely gonna be at least high tier not top though the worst character is opinion also:ohwell:

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
your character being popular is a foolish reason to not use them...

look at it this way, try to be the better out of the people you know who use Ike. It will give you a competitive spirit and drive to become better:laugh:

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
-Comboking
I don't mean to sound like I'm picking on you, especially because judging by your posts you're probably in the 12-15 age range, but here's a few tips:

1. Unless your friend's uncle's friends worked as testers for Brawl (which I doubt), being a "game tester" has nothing to do with smash brothers expertise, and therefore lends no extra weight or credibility to an opinion on Ike's usefulness.

2. Ike's usefulness isn't the subject of this thread.

3. Assuming you've played Brawl (since you've written an Ike "guide"), I'd much rather hear your opinion than your friend's uncle's friends' opinions.

4. Quoting yourself in your sig makes you sound incredibly pretentious.

I think that about covers it.

-GK

comboking

Smash Master
He is good in my opinion!
well my friend and his uncle both have the american version of SSBB.
I know I was just pointing out that some people think he is bad!
I don't care I did not make the phrase but it is the one i will be saying ythe most by the way it was probally said by some one famous!

Nowfist

Smash Apprentice
Just because other people like to use Ike doesn't mean that you shouldn't use him too. Think of it, 7 years of Melee, just imagine how many people play a certain character...

You aren't the only one who is going to use Ike >_>

Edds

Smash Ace
ike was the 1st one i got up to level 20 in FE. ike is like a powerhouse when hes becomes a lord. so it pretty much means ill use him in brawl

comboking

Smash Master
Im using Ike even though some people don't like him!

you shouldn't care how many people use him they won't all be god at him!

Top Bottom