• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike slow?

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
What Ike is slow is like what Bowser is cute.

Basically Ike is slower than you can possibly imagine...

KirbyForAll

Smash Apprentice
yea, but i also heard he is amazing in 2vs2 because of his power moves. if you master him he could easily be top tier

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
yea, but i also heard he is amazing in 2vs2 because of his power moves. if you master him he could easily be top tier
Unfortunately speed is just as important in teams. Also power alone in teams is a double edged sword because your partner can get caught up in your own attacks.

tmock90

Smash Rookie
From the videos I've seen though, he is definitely pretty slow... but he isn't THAT slow haha, It doesn't seem like he's as slow to me as everyone is saying.

True Fool

Smash Ace
From the videos I've seen though, he is definitely pretty slow... but he isn't THAT slow haha, It doesn't seem like he's as slow to me as everyone is saying.
Unfortunately that's what a lot of us thought. Ike's start-up lag is kind of hidden, for lack of a better word. He looks faster than he really is.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
This should explain Ike's speed, from Gimpy's impressions thread:

Alright, so now we know. Ike is a serious powerhouse, the strongest character BY FAR (at least in the demo) but he has some pretty intense drawbacks. As a player who uses the “slow but strong” character in Melee well I can see the limitations of another “slow but strong” character pretty easily as far as potential goes. Bowser in melee was slow but strong, and so was Ganon. I play both of those characters (although only Bowser in tournament). Ganon is CLEARLY the better of the two for multiple reasons. Now – for a moment – let’s compare Ike from Brawl to the Ganon/Bowser “slow but strong” character setup. Ganon and Bowser both have several moves that activate quickly or have a lot of shield stun or have a large amount of range or can grab from the air. They both have some manner of safety in their approaches or have at least some manner of speed in their character. Ike on the other hand seemingly has none of these positive factors. Ike is much, MUCH slower than either Ganon OR Bowser. I realize that this is a new physics engine, but he is VERY slow when compared to the rest of the cast. I'm trying to put the least amount of bias in this update that I can. I really wanted Ike to be good after seeing him played, and I honestly didn't believe that he was as slow as people were telling me; then I played as him. His aerials are ALL slow, his tilts are slower than most smashes, his smashes are almost the same speed as his tilts. He really, REALLY lacks in speed. After watching some of the videos of Ike I find myself doubting that he is really as slow as I recall. Visually some of the startup of his moves is actually hidden; he appears to be much faster than he really is in the videos. Let me make another thing clear. Ike is NOT very laggy. Ike does NOT have a large amount of lag after his aerials, he just has slow activation time on them, which is MUCH more difficult to get around on a competitive level of play. If there is a Nintendo representative reading this somehow I implore you, please DECREASE the activation or startup time of SOME of Ike’s moves. He only needs some manner of safety or a move to combo into his ridiculously strong moves at very least.

TxuZz

Smash Cadet
so we want Ike to have least frames for each move... how are wo goona make that happen? "please!, smash staff!!"?? uHm...

i hope there'll be a secret character (from FE) that has a rapier held by one hand, faster and lighter than ike's blade...( are you thinking what i'm thinking.. ..? XD! )

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
The secret character is Stefan from PoR.

I think they are fixing Ike's laggyness now. :D Atleast he has one throw combo now from todays update.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Nephenee as playable... I cannot even express how awesome that would be. Then again, her chances are pretty much nothing.

And rapier? Not Eliwood or Erika I hope.

Really, Lyn was the next best FE rep, if they wanted a third (besides Marth, who I am basically assuming is in). Nephenee would be the most awesome addition ever though. Come on, a spear user for Brawl!

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Eh...Lyn's the "next best FE rep"? Not to the Japanese, they pretty much hated all the GBA games' characters. Eliwood wouldn't get in at this point (I assume) because now he and Ike would fight similarly as the Durandal was a EFFING GIGANTIC sword.

People with a good shot to pop up besides Ike (who's currently the most popular main character in JP) are Marth (OG FE character, well liked in JP), Sigurd (EXTREMELY well liked in JP) Mia (nice fanbase) or Micaiah (promotes new FE as Roy did).

tmock90

Smash Rookie
Isn't it just like he moves (running, jumping, etc...) fast but his moves are extremely slow? To me atleast from the videos it doesn't look like he move THAT slowly.

okami473

Smash Apprentice
From what ive heard he is a giant-disjoint-hitbox-of-sweetspotting-priority...... that is rediculusly slow.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I still say Nephenee would be the most awesome FE rep XD

But of those previously mentioned, Mia would really be my favorite.

TxuZz

Smash Cadet
I still say Nephenee would be the most awesome FE rep XD

But of those previously mentioned, Mia would really be my favorite.
My vote goes for eliwood, weather if he was or wasnt liked in japan. and micaiah as a hidden promotion character doesnt sound improbable either...

changing the subject, my complain about ike is his ****ing vertical "recovcery" move ( it seems you cant grad the edge at the top of the move... ), and his b-side move... ****

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
Ok, you have no idea how flipping slow Ike is. If you take Bowser's run speed from Melee and cut it in half you get Ike. If you take his move speed and cut it into 1/4, you get Ike's move speed. He makes Ganon look like CF, if that is enough? And he makes CF look like Chuck Norris. You should get the idea.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Ike is slow in the demo. Come on, people! I know we like Ike, but we can't let our bias make us blind to the fact that he's slow.

The secret character is Stefan from PoR.

I think they are fixing Ike's laggyness now. :D Atleast he has one throw combo now from todays update.
Ike is slow in the demo. Come on, people! I know we like Ike, but we can't let our bias make us blind to the fact that he's slow.
Yeah, but has anyone considered that the characters in the demo are the ones that have been finished in game development? I don't think that they would make any character alterations in this breif period time they recieved. Hopefully, they can Fix Ike's speed, but in exchange nerf his power a bit.

Crescendolls

Smash Cadet
What bothers me is why is Ike a heavy character? It doesn't look like he carries heavy armor or something (Samus has armor, and even she can be reasonably quick). Plus, from what Fire Emblem players say, Ike is one of the faster characters.
I hear a lot of his moves are like KO heavy damage moves, but you can't do much if you can't catch up or get the timing just right.

Dark Luna

Smash Apprentice
He was fast in his game, I have no Idea why he is so slow in brawl. He is slow in FE10 however, but in brawl he is the FE9 model.

Wing-Zero

Smash Apprentice
ike is holding a two handed sword with one hand, of coarse hes is going to be heavy
also, it is way to early to say what he is right now cause the brawl demo was in the middle of the production of this game. although he is slow , think about characters like bowser **cough** they can still open a can of whoop @$$ on some of the relatively faster people because of their brutal attack strength.
just keep in mind that most charaters (with the acception of captain falcon ) are balanced such as bowser
**cough** who is slow and powerful.

I could go on and on (and on) about this but should get a general idea of what i mean so if you dont like slow people thats unfortunate :(

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
I think Sakurai is using the FE9 outfit, but Ike from FE10. He likes that costume better, and with all that power comes from FE10. Who says you can't change clothes? It makes sense. But atleast unlag his moves a bit.

Dark Luna

Smash Apprentice
I think Sakurai is using the FE9 outfit, but Ike from FE10. He likes that costume better, and with all that power comes from FE10. Who says you can't change clothes? It makes sense. But atleast unlag his moves a bit.
He was still powerful in FE9, but was extreamly fast as well.

He needs to be fixed, he either needs even more power, or a lot more speed. Speed would be more needed though to make him more balanced.

Who knows? He might attually be better, we only played the game for four days, and it was only a demo.

Cless

Smash Champion
Yeah, but has anyone considered that the characters in the demo are the ones that have been finished in game development? I don't think that they would make any character alterations in this breif period time they recieved. Hopefully, they can Fix Ike's speed, but in exchange nerf his power a bit.
Maybe, but if Ike was finished, I would expect his super armor to not be buggy, unless that whole mechanic was buggy in the demo.

Wing-Zero

Smash Apprentice
if his speed is modified then his power will be also.

if you want another marth / roy then why do you bother with ike

HE WILL ALWAYS BE SLOW

sigh..... why do i bother...

Top Bottom