• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike info from the 3DS version

Status
Not open for further replies.

TL?

Smash Ace
Since people are starting to get their hands on the game, I'd like to move away from speculation and have a thread dedicated to actual findings and information about Ike in the full 3ds version. Post any info from post-launch videos/streams, or any first hand impressions. Please do not post any info from old trailers or pre-launch versions. Hopefully this topic isn't redundant, and if it is, then mods feel free to delete it. I would just like a nice clean topic about actual ike findings/info without speculation or general chat.

TL?

Smash Ace
Found a nice video here showing off a few of ike's moves. Sadly it's not the entire moveset but it does show things very clearly:

Most of his moves seem about the same speed. Dtilt definitely looks faster but it doesn't seem to spike anymore, instead it seems to sweep people away.

Edit: got another video here:
From this it seems that his uncharged up smash and fsmash startup slightly faster, but I could just be seeing things. Ftilt seems a little faster, and the landing lag on dair really doesn't seem to bad. His down throw seems like it would have good combo potential at lower percents, but also seems to have high knockback growth. Fsmash gets a kill on shulk at 86% here, so it's still very strong. Nair seems to have little landing lag and should hopefully setup combos. Personally I'm pretty exited for Ike in this. He seems to have kept his style and gotten a handful of small buffs, mostly in speed. I'd really like to see what a decent player could do with him now.

Last edited:

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I didn't play Ike much in Brawl but after playing a few matches with him in Smash 4 I must say it is the only character where I'm unable to spot any difference between his Brawl and Smash 4 iteration. Feels exactly the same imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

Just watched Ike on shofu's stream and I'm pretty hype. Keep in mind he was fighting a lucina. Anyways, short hop nair combos into fair very easily it seems. His throws seem very good for combos as well. Back throw combo'd into dash attack and forward(?) throw combo'd into fair. I also saw Ike throw Lucina and then follow right up with an aether and she as trapped inside the move until like halfway during Ike's descent where she was knocked away. Up tilt seems good for following up on. dtilt seems to knock them away from Ike so he can't do much afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Quick draw clanks with other moves (I saw it clank with Sonic's dash attack) Pretty sure in brawl anything would hit him out of it instead of clanking.

Also less lag for quick draw, think its actually viable to use as an attack now.

Last edited:

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
FTilt is definitely faster. Marginally so, but it's faster.
He seems to have kept his style and gotten a handful of small buffs, mostly in speed. I'd really like to see what a decent player could do with him now.
Speed was basically his main problem, so even a small boost in that category is extremely welcome. Also can't agree enough with your last comment, I wanted to yell at the guy in the second video to stop Countering and smashing so much.

TL?

Smash Ace
FTilt is definitely faster. Marginally so, but it's faster.

Speed was basically his main problem, so even a small boost in that category is extremely welcome. Also can't agree enough with your last comment, I wanted to yell at the guy in the second video to stop Countering and smashing so much.
Yeah I feel like a few subtle speedups and a new engine and metagame could end up pretty well for Ike. I feel your pain about the players as well. I see the downthrow and nair, and my eyes widen thinking about the combo potential and the guy playing sees them and thinks, "well, back to using eruption". I haven't even seen anyone use his back air even once which was one of his best moves in brawl. But yes I think there's some potential here. Now we wait for a decent enough Ike player to show us.

Last edited:

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Yeah I feel like a few subtle speedups and a new engine and metagame could end up pretty well for Ike. I feel your pain about the players as well. I see the downthrow and nair, and my eyes widen thinking about the combo potential and the guy playing sees them and thinks, "well, back to using eruption". I haven't even seen anyone use his back air even once which was one of his best moves in brawl. But yes I think there's some potential here. Now we wait for a decent enough Ike player to show us.
LOL for real.

(San, steal a Japanese 3DS and copy of Smash and show us how it's done ;) )

I was surprised at how much DThrow's knockback blew up at higher percentages. Shouldn't matter too much though, since those percentages are in Ike's kill zone anyways.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
So basically Ike received a few speed buffs

Well that solves like half his problems

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I do have the demo. I am not so great on the 3DS yet, at least with default controls :) Many attacks seem marginally faster such as the usmash which seems to release a few frames earlier but I can't tell without a 60fps video.

Good to see he still has some potential. Ike was close to even with most characters in Brawl outside of MK and some characters with CGs, so I think he will be able to compete as long as no character has any strong exploits against him.

D

Deleted member 212841

oh btw, I also saw shfou using the bair a lot. It looked the same as in brawl but idk brawl ike nuances enough to say if it was exactly the same or not.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Looks like you can edgeguard with N-air viably and not suicide. F-tilt is much better for spacing. D-smash still has a lame hitbox but does 18 damage so it's actually worth using for whiff punishing. Airdodge mechanics means you can chase people with Quick Draw much more reliably now as they try to land.

Not TOO many Ike changes, but they all look like good changes.

D

Deleted member 212841

Okay, was watching this stream http://www.twitch.tv/1fow1 . I missed a lot of when he was playing an opposing ike because i was doing class at the same time but I just saw the streamer play Ike himself. It's down throw that sets up into combos easily. Aether is sure fire but apparently (according to the streamer) you can tech it or di out of it. The guy he used it on didn't do either, though. There was one time where the streamer expected to KO a yoshi with bair but it didn't. idk if that's cause of a bair nerf or just the bigger blastzones in general.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
He didn't mention anything, just that he would record the analysis for his Twitch channel.

lob

Smash Cadet
NNID
FunkyLobster
3DS FC
0877-1680-1612
i think ike is gonna do better in this game than he did in brawl, even if hes mostly unchanged. people die at like 200% now because of the far out blast zones so you really need a kill move, which ike has a lot of. not to mention his jabs and tilts come out pretty quick, and nair and bair come out fast too. if he actually swings his sword faster on some moves thats an enormous buff for him, hell probably have trouble comboing since he still runs p slow (so he cant follow up well) but it does mean hes a lot less predictable.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
i think ike is gonna do better in this game than he did in brawl, even if hes mostly unchanged. people die at like 200% now because of the far out blast zones so you really need a kill move, which ike has a lot of.
I was just thinking about this yesterday...granted, when more people get used to this game, we'll be seeing characters getting KO'd earlier. Anyways, the point I wanted to make is that power characters seem very valuable right now for the reason you stated. Ike, Bowser, and DeDeDe are all really useful for that alone. With most characters having insane recoveries and the removal of edgehogging, getting KOs via those blast zones is gonna be more crucial than ever.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Trying to jab cancel with Link in the demo. It's definitely much harder. You can't buffer a crouch after a jab (or at least Link's anyways) but can buffer everything else that's not useful to jab cancelling. You can, however, hold down, and try to jab immediately after the crouch animation begins. I can't think of any good way to buffer it at the moment unless the Wii U version still has attack stick and removes the jump bug from it. You can shield and therefore grab as soon as possible, though.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Seems unrealistic, shield-drop looks a bit too slow for that. But who knows. But at high enough %, jab>Utilt or jab>Dtilt might be legit; apparently link's Jab1>Usmash, jab1>Dsmash, jab1>upB all work after 100%.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I'm so sad, Ike's fair no longer has crazy range :( In Brawl he would use both arms outstretched and swing it front and center in front of him, but now he swings it diagonally and close to his chest. Now it only has as much range as any common fighters' fair, sword user or not. I really loved it in Brawl :( Anyone else feelin me?

Last edited:

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I loved his Fair in Brawl. It was almost his saving grace, moveset wise. (That and Nair + Jab) I'll really miss the long range of it.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Trying to jab cancel with Link in the demo. It's definitely much harder. You can't buffer a crouch after a jab (or at least Link's anyways) but can buffer everything else that's not useful to jab cancelling. You can, however, hold down, and try to jab immediately after the crouch animation begins. I can't think of any good way to buffer it at the moment unless the Wii U version still has attack stick and removes the jump bug from it. You can shield and therefore grab as soon as possible, though.
This is very accurate to how Ike works. I can't REALLY test what all can be done from jab without a human opponent though.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Clean up time. Please take this discussion to the stickied moveset thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom