• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Impressions

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Wait, are you asking if Ike can use Aether or not to recover? If you are asking that, he can.
No, I know Ike can use it to recover, but like in most of recovery situations, can Ike hold from the edge even if Aether has been already activated?

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
I think the reason Ike was failing to recover so much is because people were thinking of Marth or Roy's ^B which has alot of horizontal coverage, instead of thinking Kirby. I bet if people didn't think of Ike as "the new FE character" but rather just consentrated on learning his new style they might not make that mistake so much. And also I think that >B should be the move that we focus on for his recovery, it seems more practical because if you can't recover just by using >B then chances are you'll at least be closer(but below the stage) and then you can follow up with Aether rather than doing Aether first thing.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I think the reason Ike was failing to recover so much is because people were thinking of Marth or Roy's ^B which has alot of horizontal coverage, instead of thinking Kirby. I bet if people didn't think of Ike as "the new FE character" but rather just consentrated on learning his new style they might not make that mistake so much. And also I think that >B should be the move that we focus on for his recovery, it seems more practical because if you can't recover just by using >B then chances are you'll at least be closer(but below the stage) and then you can follow up with Aether rather than doing Aether first thing.
Actually, when I saw Ike's Aether, my first thought was (...it looks like Kirby's Final Cutter).

And what you're showing sounds like Marth and Roy's Forward B in air too, it helps them for recoveries too. But Ike's seems to be like Falcon's Forward B (you use it in the air, you will not be able to use another move until you reach ground).

But if it's not like that, Ike may not be such a bad recovery character after all.

Drake3

Smash Ace
People only need to believe in him. He will turn great.
I think so too. When the game comes out and people actually have time to understand how he works I think he'll be great. His Up+B as a recovery does look absolutely terrible, but he has a Side+B that functions as a recovery too. I haven't seen it done but you can probably combine Side+B and Up+B like Pikachu/Marth/etc.

And I personally like his Final Smash.

Phlemingo

Smash Ace
Ike isn't really that bad its just he has bad qualities stick out the most at the moment. But spacing could easily and other tactics could easily change this. Oh btw, no one has mentioned that air dodging and double jumping could improve his recovery

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
I think so too. When the game comes out and people actually have time to understand how he works I think he'll be great. His Up+B as a recovery does look absolutely terrible, but he has a Side+B that functions as a recovery too. I haven't seen it done but you can probably combine Side+B and Up+B like Pikachu/Marth/etc.

And I personally like his Final Smash.
His f+b is like Fox and Falco's, so you can only do it once.

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
Ike isn't really that bad its just he has bad qualities stick out the most at the moment. But spacing could easily and other tactics could easily change this. Oh btw, no one has mentioned that air dodging and double jumping could improve his recovery
Air Dodging really isn't going to help recover more horizontally than Aether, and Aether goes much higher. Also, double jumping is pretty much always applied to recovery.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
This is the type of character I'd really love to master, you know? He sounds pretty amazing in FFAs, just because of his attacks and tank-like qualities. Maybe some advanced techs will allow general speed up.

We shall see. Good thread.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Well, you are gonna go crazy if you like Ike slow!

He is slower than Bowser and Ganondorf! Yes, that's right! I am a Fire Emblem fanboy, but it isn;t stopping me from saying this:

A LEGLESS TURTLE MOVES FASTER THAN IKE!

Jeremy092387

Smash Cadet
I think people are underrating Ike too much. Sure, he is supposedly slow, but no one seems to focus on his strengths. He is mad strong and brutal. Sure, with his laggy attacks which would render him "useless". That is why we find out and manipulate his no flinch frames. I firmly believe that with time and devotion Ike will be one hell of a fighter. I believe that people will have to take a more defensive approach, but with his counter and carefully executed moves, I think he sounds a lot better than some make him sound to be. Of course, I've yet to play him or even Brawl, but with Sakurai's emphasis to balance out characters, especially heavy hitters, I find it hard to believe that Ike is garbage. Maybe he is, but I doubt he will be in the Final version, as their development time has increased. Even so, I don't play based on tiers and play Free for alls mostly anyway, so Ike will apparently be awesome to me. :)

smashbot226

Smash Master
I think people are underrating Ike too much. Sure, he is supposedly slow, but no one seems to focus on his strengths. He is mad strong and brutal. Sure, with his laggy attacks which would render him "useless". That is why we find out and manipulate his no flinch frames. I firmly believe that with time and devotion Ike will be one hell of a fighter. I believe that people will have to take a more defensive approach, but with his counter and carefully executed moves, I think he sounds a lot better than some make him sound to be. Of course, I've yet to play him or even Brawl, but with Sakurai's emphasis to balance out characters, especially heavy hitters, I find it hard to believe that Ike is garbage. Maybe he is, but I doubt he will be in the Final version, as their development time has increased. Even so, I don't play based on tiers and play Free for alls mostly anyway, so Ike will apparently be awesome to me. :)
Those are all valid reasons to play Ganondo... I mean Ike. But he has no projectile attacks. Sure, his no flinch frames help, but as of now, I have only seen Aether having the effect. His counter is more or less useful at close range and would leave him open if he deflected a projectile. Sure, his fully executed moves are powerful, but will that matter with no range and speed?

Really??

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
I like Ike even though he is slow

I liked Ganondorf in melee

but i know Ike has to be faster then him right?

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
I like Ike even though he is slow

I liked Ganondorf in melee

but i know Ike has to be faster then him right?
Nope, as of the demo, Ike seems to be slower than Ganon.

Smashbot226: In one video, when Ike is about to hit Fox with a Fsmash, Mario hits Ike in the middle of it with his cape and nothing happened.

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
WOW that is slow

slower then Ganon that is crazy

I hope they change his speed

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
Ike is nothing like Ganon, he has more of a feel of Marth or maybe Roy. Though he is slower than the two previous swordsmen, he isn't nearly as slow as the sorceror.

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
Ike is nothing like Ganon, he has more of a feel of Marth or maybe Roy. Though he is slower than the two previous swordsmen, he isn't nearly as slow as the sorceror.
That right there is why I choose not to believe that Ike is extremly slow. Nintendo_Lord has played with Ike just like everyone else has, if Ike is REALLY uber slow, slower than ganon, slower than bowser, then we wouldn't be getting this other opinion. at the saem tiem i don't take his word for fact, it jsut seems to agree with me more based on what i have seen in the vids.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
the frames per second in this games is more than ssb64 but less tham melee so everody looks slower if u compare to melee if ganon is realeased for brawl than ike will be faster u cannot compare to melee fps is to different

GenG

Smash Lord
Hey Gimpy, what's the estimated time for the **** storm? Will you update Ike the last?

Man we need a major topic to debate.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
Looking at several videos, I don't think that Ike will be as slow as Ganondorf.

The overall speed of the game has decreased, so now everything comes down to comparing Ike's speed to the other characters' speeds when the game is released. Nothing we say here about the speed of Ike is a fact.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
LIKE IS SAID maybe holding a two handed sword with one hand has something to do with it.

Also, I did notice an invincibility frame from his forward smash.
Ragnell is not a 2 handed sword. The hilt is longer because it is decorative. Want to know how I know this? Because Altina wielded both Ragnell and Alondite at once, and those swords were forged for her by the goddess Astarteyune, if memory serves me correct.

GenG

Smash Lord
Is that... a Radiant Dawn spoiler? At least use the spoiler tags...

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Sakurai say he wields a 2 handed sword?

I was thinking he couldn't be as slow as Ganondorf

Ganondorf is to slow for Melee to me

RWB

Smash Ace
Ragnell is not a 2 handed sword. The hilt is longer because it is decorative. Want to know how I know this? Because Altina wielded both Ragnell and Alondite at once, and those swords were forged for her by the goddess Astarteyune, if memory serves me correct.
Yeah, and the blades are longer than Altina was. That is longer and heavier than regular two-handed swords. We can't help Altina was uberstrong.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
altina was to powerful
that why she duelwielded the 2 swords plz don`t spoil the game for other ppl

Procrasticritter

Smash Journeyman
I played as Ike a few times, and as people have previously mentioned, he's slow. Faster than Ganondorf was in melee though. He also makes up for it in that he hits pretty hard.

but I mean what do you expect. Its not like he's Sonic or Fox or something...

Hong

The Strongest
Didn't Sakurai say he wields a 2 handed sword?
What Sakurai says isn't always true to the original games. While Ike in Brawl is an awesome character, asside from his clothing nothing about him reminds me of the original. Even Aether lost its cool visual effects, sounds and the second part of the attack. =(

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
I'm Not sure if my opinion will mean a lot, but it seems that Ike will be a character who needs very good timing to use correctly. As a guy who mains Jigglypuff, I know even weak characters can completely own higher tiered characters (like marth, fox, etc.) with proper timing. Remember WoP? Or resting people to death? I think Ike will be a lot like that except mid range instead of "in your face."

fallen-angle

Smash Rookie
OK I have been seeing a lot of talk about Ike being suck slow, and low tier. However I have also seen some people talking about the presence of invincible frames on many of his move and lots of heavy armor.

So here is my prediction it's not grounded in game play or anything, but I'll bet it will come true. Ike will be high tier, probably not top, but high. Not at first mind you, at first everyone will say he sucks and is too slow for tournament play. But then someone is gonna come along and figure out exactly how to take every single enemy attack on Ike invincible frames, and he will own the competitors.

Just watch it will happen.

(to clarify, I am a terrible Marth player and hate Roy so this is not out of any love for Fire Emblem)

Brockman5

Smash Ace
I think he looks alot faster than people make him out to be. Just from watching videos you can tell he's at least faster than bowser. I'm thinking slower than Link but faster than ganondorf.

Alot of people said that Roy was really slow compared to marth, but I managed to find a way to keep up with him, and people whine non stop about how powerful Roy is. I can't imagine what it's gonna be like once I practice with Ike and find a way around his speed.

The only thing I'm concerned about is recovery. I have never even seen him recover succesfully with Aether, does anyone have a refrence as to when it actually works? cus at the moment I'm skeptical as to whether or not it's even a recovery move.

I love his Final Smash! after hearing rumors of an electric floating ball like Pikachu's volt tackle this was a great relief, I wanna know it's real name though.
I don't know if this has been said yet..I stopped reading at the second page...but,
Ike's aether can be used as a recovery..
when i was at e for all you would have to air dodge, jump twice, charge your side b, and then when your aiming is lined up use aether to come from under and grab the ledge...his up b takes him extremely high, possibly higher then fox's up b in melee...

Also for everyone complainig about how slow he is...hes not as slow as he appears in videos...his moves take a little bit to perform but they are hella deadly...and his aerial attacks are quick and smooth...most of the time i would just jump in the air and fair or nair people to do massive amounts of damage....

Also another thing he has going for him is his counter...it is so STRONG!!!! Im not even lying...not to mention his smash attacks...he could easily be a high tier character with practice..

Well that's all that I could think of for now...:)

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I haven't really seen his counter in video's. Is it like Marth/Roy's counter from Melee or a projectile/one-sided counter like Peach/Mario/Zelda?

If it is like Marth/Roy's, I soooo called that **** forever ago!

Also, I don't like Ike. I have MAJOR bias against him, so I'm not going to get involved in the least.

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
I haven't really seen his counter in video's. Is it like Marth/Roy's counter from Melee or a projectile/one-sided counter like Peach/Mario/Zelda?

If it is like Marth/Roy's, I soooo called that **** forever ago!

Also, I don't like Ike. I have MAJOR bias against him, so I'm not going to get involved in the least.
It's like Marth and Roy's.

Rex+

Smash Ace
Like many Marth players out there, I'm pretty nervous at what I've heard about him so far and am hpoing I can get used to him. As much as I like Ike, I won't play him if he doesn't fit my playing style.
Either for that reason or Marth is back in.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If you play as Marth, it doesn't seem like Ike will be a suitable character. Marth users typically like range and speed. Ike lacks in speed, from what I hear, both in movement and in reaction time.

Ike seems more like a defensive Ganondorf then any other character out there.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I hope his Counter shoots a sword beam slash thing like in PoR...cuz he doesnt seem to have that and whats the point of giving Ike Ragnell when he cant use its powers...might as well give him the sword he got from his dad or something...

Top Bottom