• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you had to choose Day 2; Shulk vs Issac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinfordmac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
quinford_GameCo
Last time, Ridley beat out King K. Rool. Today, two VERY heavily supported characters go at it, and honestly, I think one of them is gettin in.

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES

VS

GOLDEN SUN

Oh yes. These two are very intresting characters. Two fanbases collide, but if you had to choose, Shulk or Issac

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
ISAAC.

He's been around Nintendo for much longer.

Plus his moveset potential is off the charts!

MELEE:
-Punching
-Swordsmanship
-Axemanship
-Special attacks depending on the weapon (meaning, each weapon may have one special attack attatched as critical hit)

PSYENERGY:
-Specializes in Venus psyenergy (Earth and Grass magic)
-Can also use little water/fire/wind techniques, but these are very very few.
-Isaac also sports Field Psyenergy to get himself around the world. Like tethering between stalagmites, or crushing rocks, or knocking things from afar, grabbing things, moving objects, growing vines to climb, etc.

DJINNI:
-These are abilities given by creatures called Djinni. Isaac can equip either Earth, Fire, Water, or Wind Djinni which grant him attacks, status effects, recovery, support techniques, etc.

SUMMONS:
-Thanks to the Djinni, Isaac has access to Summon creatures. Naturally, Earth summons are his strongest ones, but he can also summon Wind, Water, and Fire creatures.

--
He also was an Assist Trophy in Brawl, and made another appearance in Dark Dawn. So he's been in every Golden Sun game.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I love Xenoblade, but Isaac is just more important. Also, he has way more moveset potential.

Close call, but it's Isaac for me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Issac. Golden Sun goes back 12 years, has three games, Issac shows up in all three, and he's already been in Smash Bros once if only as an assist trophy. While the Xeno series is older and has more games, it didn't even show up on a Nintendo platform until very recently with the Xenoblade games and Shulk only has one game too, being Xenoblade Chronicles.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Isaac is the ultimate badass!

He's got nukes!

He's got knives!

Sharp sticks!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Issac. Golden Sun goes back 12 years, has three games, Issac shows up in all three, and he's already been in Smash Bros once if only as an assist trophy. While the Xeno series is older and has more games, it didn't even show up on a Nintendo platform until very recently with the Xenoblade games and Shulk only has one game too, being Xenoblade Chronicles.
Isaac, for pretty much these reasons. Fans have been waiting for a long time to play as Isaac in Smash. I'd be really disappointed to see him ignored in favor of a character who only recently arrived on the scene.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Shulk. Unless another character from one of the operation rainfall games gets in, in which case, I would be okay with Shulk not getting in.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
This is a horrible choice for me. I really want both of these characters.

Despite Shulk only being one game, what a game that is! Even if it is a new game/potentially series it certainly arrived with a huge bang. Xenoblade Chronicles easily blows away Golden Sun: Dark Dawn in terms of quality. There's no contest.

However the Golden Sun series as a whole is very strong....and Isaac does have this seniority over Shulk.

I want Shulk more...but I think Isaac is slightly more deserving. So I guess I would choose Isaac if given the choice. Even though it would be painful.....I think it's a credit to Xenoblade Chronicles that I would almost pick Shulk over Isaac...even though I played the original Golden Sun when it first came out and was instantly a fan.

I think the most honest answer I could give though is that I'd probably just flip a coin and choose whoever won the coin toss. :p I'd be happy either way and I'd be sad either way....not much difference.

In an ideal world both would make it into smash easily. I think there's a reasonable chance of that happening. After all they're not just sword users and they're not hugely similar to each other. Shulk has the monado, a laser sword that can help him see the future while Isaac would barely need to use a sword at all with all the psyenergy and djinns he could use. They both have aspects that would make them unique and interesting fighters. The only real question is if Sakurai will look at them carefully and see all that makes them unique.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Pretty neutral to both really, but Isaac seems like he could bring something cool to the table, so I vote for him.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I've never played either game, but I'm inclined toward Isaac simply because he's already served an 'apprenticeship' as an Assist Trophy.

Hong

The Strongest
Not interested in either game, though Isaac was a bit of a bore. I like the potential for Shulk more in comparison.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Isaac has three games to his name and a dozen years of history. The latest Golden Sun game had a post-Brawl release and was shown off as a significant upcoming title during two Nintendo E3 press conferences in a row. Isaac's got seniority and a previous appearance in the SSB series as an assist trophy. Golden Sun also had a music track in Brawl as well.

He has incredible moveset potential. As Sakurai noted on the Dojo, Isaac's got a sword but he doesn't need it. His primary focus is earth magic. He can launch stones, lift boulders into the sky, create earthen spires, and cause earthquakes. He has control of plantlife as well, attacking with vines and briar patches.

Secondly, he has his telekinesis. As seen in Brawl, he can manipulate the world with his mind. He can push away foes, grab them, lift them and pound them with his telekinetic powers.

If that's not enough, he has even more moves to draw from. He can halt time, hover in the air, turn invisible, teleport, melt into sand, and create cyclones. He can summon gods to help in his fight. He's primarily a user of earth magic, but in the games he's completely capable of manipulating water, ice, wind, electricity and fire as well. If all else fails, he can whack things with his sword, and and even his swords have special, magical powers.

He can even summon emus.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Why exactly do these two get compared again? Let's just agree to have both coexist. But if I had to choose between the two it would be Isaac because shinhed-echi's post got me interested.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I would love if both of them got in...I still see it as a possibility. People say Shulk and Isaac are so similar, yet they are two completely different characters. If I had to pick one though, I would go with Shulk

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I would love if both of them got in...I still see it as a possibility. People say Shulk and Isaac are so similar, yet they are two completely different characters. If I had to pick one though, I would go with Shulk

I don't really understand the comparisons either.

They're both the most unique "sword users" in contention for a place on the roster and they're vastly different from each other. Shulk has a laser sword that can see into the future, he also has access to various Monado Arts as well as some really cool sword moves. Isaac has control over the elements, earthquakes, hand manipulations psyenergy, the djinns and various summons.

Also in terms of character, Shulk is quite unique as a JRPG charater, he's not the usual brash and fight now ask questions later kind of protagonist. He's careful and thinks about things. (probably a bit too much) Isaac is silent but that can work too. If there's any similarity between it might be personality wise, I don't see Isaac as a brash careless type either....although probably a bit more naive than Shulk.

I can only imagine the comparisons come from people who aren't hugely familiar with the games and just see them as JRPG Protagonist #1 and JRPG Protagonist #2.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I'm not very familiar with both,I think I'd go with shulk,I'd just rather not get the Wii Gen get represented with WFT trainer only.

So it's Shulk for me,but as I said,I'm not very familiar with either so I don't have many reasons.

BTW,for the future,can we vote for both and each get 0,5 ? That would be cool when we really can't choose!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Definitely Isaac.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd like both but....

Isaac for a large number of reasons.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Now this is a hard one. Not because both of them are any good, but because I don't care for any of them...
But let's see.

A Lot of people want Isaac, because of Golden Sun. And that he appeared as an Assist Trophy in Brawl. But would he really be that good that his worth it?
Shulk is also a popular character, he has only been in One game right? (Xenoblade) and would that make him worthy of a spot over Isaac? hmm...

Honestly Isaac has more History value with Nintendo there, so even if I don't care for either one, I guess I would choose Isaac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom