• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you had to choose Day 1; Ridley vs King K. Rool (THREAD CLOSED)

Shokio? Using facts? The only fact he gave was that he's big in his own franchise, nothing else. Using Mario Spin-off titles for Bowser's size is pointless as those are just as non-canon as Smash Bros, he knows nothing about Pikmin, and frankly, the ending just makes him look like an immature bigot.

It's not about Ridley being the size of Samus you dolt, it's about the fact that Ridley's size is never the same, hell, even in between the cutscenes and the boss battle in Brawl Ridley isn't even the same size. The Smash Bros series isn't canon, size has never mattered, so saying it applies because a select character is large doesn't mean anything. Ridley has been shown to fit before, and just because you're butthurt about him being smaller doesn't make it any less possible.

And all I have to do are mention three things and the argument's over...inconsistent size...Smash series isn't canon...and Melee opening. Kay thanks, I think this argument's been dead for a while, it's like beating the bones of the dead horse that's been dead for months on end now...

lol personal insults? Yeah you're a cool guy. Butt hurt? lol you wish. I just think he looks f*cking ulgy, and i'm sure many would agree, and despite the fact that there are many other issues at hand other than size yall' still gonna act the same. I just have the sense to acknowledge something that doesn't look right rather than cling to my delusions of grandeur. I really hope for your sake this character gets in as a playable character, because they way you guys vehemently attack and insult others for not agreeing to your stances in an argument is ridiculous and laughable. Quit frankly, I don't give a damn who is in this game, so good luck to you.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
lol personal insults? Yeah you're a cool guy. Butt hurt? lol you wish. I just think he looks f*cking ulgy, and i'm sure many would agree, and despite the fact that there are many other issues at hand other than size yall' still gonna act the same. I just have the sense to acknowledge something that doesn't look right rather than cling to my delusions of grandeur. I really hope for your sake this character gets in as a playable character, because they way you guys vehemently attack and insult others for not agreeing to your stances in an argument is ridiculous and laughable. Quit frankly, I don't give a damn who is in this game, so good luck to you.
Hey, it's not my problem I can actually use facts in my argument other than "That's just me". Also, are you really trying to bring looks into this? Yeah, okay, I already ended this argument, and to think stating facts = attacking makes it all the more funnier.

Hey guys, how about we dont argue about all this and just respect each other...

I would love to, but I was just stating my opinion, then they felt like I was arguing against them. I have said "in my opnion" so many times, but for some reason they feel the need to attack my opinions as some kind of disagreement? what kind of bull sh*t is that? Making personal attacks and name calling because I disagree? That's disrespectful as I never resorted to calling anyone out of there name. But i'll move on.

Anyway, I don't want to see either character, but if I had to pick one it would be King K. Rool. He looks pretty dope

Actually, it would be cool is we had one of those Old School looking Space pirates as a metroid rep. They shoot lasers, jump off of walls and do Karate lol

Inconsistent size, Smash isn't canon, Melee opening, argument over. By the way, nice slur, makes you look really (idiotic) intelligent. :p

I could say whatever the hell I want, it doesn't make anyone any more intelligent because they decide to put a cap on their vocabulary. If you go through life thinking that you are superior based on another persons vocabulary then you won't be viewed as anything but an elitist. I can diversify my vocabulary and present my argument in a clear and consice manner, or I can make a statement and be counter intuitive...n*gga. =P

Either way, I think the Space Pirate would be pretty cool. We already have a Villager, why not a Space Pirate. Samus fights them all the time too.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
The racism was completely unnecessary. It didn't add anything to the post and, believe it or not, "putting a cap" on your vocabulary actually does make you look like you're not a racist idiot.

Ridley could fit. Him not being playable in Brawl doesn't matter. Wario wasn't in Melee, but he should have been.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If you want to ignore common sense that's on you you wil be enjoying ridley as a boss just like in brawl lol.
Problem with his arguments are, and I hate to say this, that he doesn't get Ridley's character.

I appreciate him trying to knock down the NES excuse, because it isn't valid, though he doesn't do it properly, the reason the NES appearance is invalid isn't because of technical limitations or that it's only 1 out of 8 Metroid games he's in, it's because it's been retconned with Zero Mission. So yeah, even when he knocks down the invalid arguments it doesn't work, because he's doing it wrong.

Okay, so we move onto the next thing, and that's his reasoning for that Olimar and Bowser can be shrunken down, and Ridley can't. Again, he flops a counterargument with Bowser. It's perfectly viable for Bowser to be shrinken down because in spin-off games like Mario Kart he's already getting shrinken down, and then there's Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 too, both when remade still made him the same size. But no, his argument is that he's a turtle. Then there's the Olimar thing, and yeah I'll give him that, fair argument, however, Olimar still serves as a good argument for Ridley supporters.

You see, and this is where I'm getting at, Olimar's game and character is mostly about being small. Being in this big world where everyday objects suddenly are massive, that's part of the appeal of Pikmin. Is Ridley's size part of his appeal? Sure, but a very small part of it. Ridley's character isn't about being big, I don't know when people began believing this, but it isn't. A big thing about Olimar's character is that he's so small, and yet they had no problem resizing him. Ridley is Samus' archnemesis, just like Bowser is Mario's, Ganondorf is Link's and Wolf is Fox's. That's Ridley's role, his role isn't to solely be a big threatening dragon in the Metroid games, if you honestly believe that then I'm sorry, but you missed the point of Ridley's presence in every of those games. So again, I'm sorry, but the "he's a dragon, thus he can't be scaled down" argument is ****ing weak, because Ridley isn't just a generic big dragon, he's Samus' rival, he's incredibly intelligent and the head of the Space Pirates, that's his character, he isn't about being big. That's why Ridley can be resized and Kraid can't, because Kraid is only about being big. He has become as much a fan favorite for Metroid fans as Ganondorf has become for Zelda fans. He's no doubt one of the last Nintendo All-Stars that are missing from a playable role in the game.

As for the fan-made character models, have you seen how the majority of them handles his neck? That's why he looks out of place, they don't change the proportions as necessary or pose him accurately so he can look big while being small. Instead, they make him lean, pose his neck in a weird manner, and thus they're forced to make his head small and stuff like that. A professional team can scale proportions properly, one person working on a mod can't.

Plus, then there's of course a big thing I notice that nearly nobody takes into consideration. Why can Mario Kart resize Bowser and Petey Piranha? Why can Smash Bros resize Olimar? It's a spin-off series for christ's sake people, there's no such thing as canon, pretty much all Nintendo characters can and have been molded and shaped after which role they need to fill anyways, even Ridley is scaled down during the course of Metroid Prime 3, he's a lot smaller as Omega Ridley than as Meta Ridley in that game.

So I hate to be like this, but if you consider his faulty arguments common sense, then I'd get a check if I were you.

The racism was completely unnecessary. It didn't add anything to the post and, believe it or not, "putting a cap" on your vocabulary actually does make you look like you're not a racist idiot.

Ridley could fit. Him not being playable in Brawl doesn't matter. Wario wasn't in Melee, but he should have been.

Wrong goody two shoes, i'm not racist. A use of the word doesn't make me racist, and even so that extension of the word refers as a general term, or when used against someone, it refers to someone who is ignorant. Don't call someone racist when you literally know nothing about them. And please don't bring up that double standard of black americans being able to freely use the word because that's bs.

If not Ridley, Space PIrate for smash 4, or King K Rool. I really don't remember him as much since I beat Donkey Kong Country such a long time ago. Also, aren't the rights to the character with Rare.

Reznor

work in progress
Wrong goody two shoes, i'm not racist. A use of the word doesn't make me racist, and even so that extension of the word refers as a general term, or when used against someone, it refers to someone who is ignorant. Don't call someone racist when you literally know nothing about them.

If not Ridley, Space PIrate for smash 4, or King K Rool. I really don't remember him as much since I beat Donkey Kong Country such a long time ago. Also, aren't the rights to the character with Rare.
Rare owns nothing related to DK
how do some people not know this yet :ohwell:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, K. Rool appeared in Super Mario Sluggers in 2008, long after Rare went to Microsoft. He's 100% Nintendo now.

Rare owns nothing related to DK
how do some people not know this yet :ohwell:

Oh I didn't know that lol. I thought there would have been some kind of copy right issue considering that Rare was making the game at the time; good to know.

Also, I feel like that wouldn't really be a huge issue. I remember back when they release Marvel vs Capcom 3 they said that Strider would never ever make it into the game due to copy right issues, and then bam, he's in the game. Stuff like this makes me wonder if the developers are trying to lower expectations just to get people more excited about a release.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Though people may not like to hear this, Ridley won't be included in Smash Wii U for the same reasons he was always excluded. However, King K. Rool is not only a very promising concept for a Smash character, he actually has a shot. Personally I'd love KKR as a third DK representative.

Reznor

work in progress
Though people may not like to hear this, Ridley won't be included in Smash Wii U for the same reasons he was always excluded. However, King K. Rool is not only a very promising concept for a Smash character, he actually has a shot. Personally I'd love KKR as a third DK representative.
they didn't include Ridley because they were to lazy (Sakurai said so himself)
and things change he said we would never get an animal crossing rep because no one in those games fight but guess what we have Villager

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sakurai has said if they tried really hard they could have included him, though that was right after he stated it was impossible, so we're not sure as to what statement we should cling to. Of course his opinion on all things Ridley could have changed like with Villager too. Doesn't seem like it's a matter of principle though.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I won't get into the Ridley debate here, since the Almighty Sakurai wrote in the Book of Nintendo Power that Ridley would be pretty impossible, but in my opinion, size is the least intimidating trait a Smash Bros. character can possibly have. You're a hulking behemoth of a playable character? Kthxbye. *juggles with Pikachu U-Tilt* You're a big boss whose selling point is supposedly being a big boss? Cool, I just memorized your three attacks and killed you off in less than ten seconds. The actual threat a character poses is far more important to me than the superficiality of size.

Anyways, not sure if votes are still being counted, but K. Rool is my pick. My first exposure to gaming was watching my cousin play his original DKC fight, and he's been a favorite of mine ever since, whereas I lack the same attachment to Ridley, as cool a character as he is. That, and Ridley's fate in his franchise doesn't hinge on him being playable in this game.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Owww man...this s_it again...you guys do know that these ''TOO BiG'' Arguments boil down to someone opnion vs someone elses opnion..

A.K.A its pointless...no one is gonna drop there opnion for someone elses...RealTalk...

All the People that Think Ridley is Too BiG...good for you..keep it to yourself..dont come around here and try preach your s_it to us..because just like you we are not gonna give in...

And all the people having Flamewars with the ''TOO BiGGeRs'' Ridley supporters.

Just ignore them...or set them on ignore....

And this is coming from a Ridley supporter...

Its just opnion vs opnion..and its ******** as f_ck

Its pretty much Ego vs Ego....

Let it go....be the better, smarter person...

I only joined here last year..and i am already sick to f_cking death of this ****...and the people that have been here since 06/7/8 are still arguing..were do you find the strength!

Better yet the Patience!

F_CK Me. ......

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
This is a tough one, I love both and I'd enjoy to see both of them in but if the choice had to be made I'd have to go with Ridley. He's one of my favorite characters from that series and represents an element of Metroid I'd like to see in, so I'd choose Ridley.

As for the debate, never use Shokio's video to prove a point. Outside of the issues addressed with it by Wariofan1, it's a mess on its own. He makes petty mistakes that show he doesn't really do his research (yeah, I remember Ridley being in Prime 2), he has a frothing bias in the video that's really apparent and taints his argument and he pushes his video as the end-all-be-all when really he says nothing that adds to the debate and would change anyone's mind on the matter. Really, it's a poorly done video all around.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This is a tough one, I love both and I'd enjoy to see both of them in but if the choice had to be made I'd have to go with Ridley. He's one of my favorite characters from that series and represents an element of Metroid I'd like to see in, so I'd choose Ridley.

As for the debate, never use Shokio's video to prove a point. Outside of the issues addressed with it by Wariofan1, it's a mess on its own. He makes petty mistakes that show he doesn't really do his research (yeah, I remember Ridley being in Prime 2), he has a frothing bias in the video that's really apparent and taints his argument and he pushes his video as the end-all-be-all when really he says nothing that adds to the debate and would change anyone's mind on the matter. Really, it's a poorly done video all around.
Rofl Shokio? He has worse points then some people on here...he doesnt even deserve the little bit of credit your giving him. RealTalk.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Ridley

The Tyrany of the too-big doctrine must come to an end.

I swear it's like people forgot there was once a point in time when 3rd party inclusion was pretty impossible or that japanese only characters could make it on the roster. Smash redefines the idealogy of possible with each iteration. I'd actually like to see a only slight rescaled Ridley that Puts bowser's size to shame. I mean mushrooms on Giant melee is a thing so why the heck not?

Groose

Smash Champion
THREAD IS CLOSED

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE THE ARGUMENT, TAKE IT TO THE RIDLEY OR K. ROOL THREADS.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It says it's closed, but I can still post. Am I a god? :troll:

But yeah, good to see that the arguing will cease.

Top Bottom