• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you had to choose Day 1; Ridley vs King K. Rool (THREAD CLOSED)

Quinfordmac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
quinford_GameCo
This is a thread originally started on GameFAQs. If you also use that site, use that one for this. I am starting 10 days behind from the GameFAQs one.

METROID

VS

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY

Two heavily debated villains collide. It is all up to you, would you choose Ridley or King K. Rool. YOU GUYS, QUIT ARGUING ABOUT RIDLEY!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
King K. Rool

Also, this thread should be moved to the character discussion sub-forum.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
This one may be... controversial.

I know Metroid needs another rep, but in all honesty when I think of Metroid Samus is truly the only character I think of. I know of epic battles with Ridley but when I mention Metroid to random people who aren't heavy gamers but enjoy games I only EVER hear of Samus.

HOWEVER

DK and Diddy to me, are enough reps for Donkey Kong (don't shoot me).

I know that I would enjoy another villain, but there are Nintendo Characters already in existence from good franchises that have yet to still have reps, and to me DK and Diddy so such a great job at representing the Donkey Kong games, so it's time to give someone else a shot at being in at all.

BUT as I must choose one over the other, I'd go King K. Rool.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Dang, I don't know. I'm a big Metroid fan myself, but I also love DKC. I know if I had been a Snes fanboy as a kid, I'd be a much bigger DKC fan today.

One one hand, I would much rather have new main characters (from unrepped IPs) over villains/sidekicks.... But back to the matter at hand...

It's hard to choose. I like K.Rool being a goofy villain. Nintendo has always been about this type of characters.
However, Nintendo kind of botched up Metroid's anniversary not so long ago... And I do think they owe us Metroid fans something.

Donkey Kong is almost as popular as ever now, and Tropical Freeze tells me another DK rep is almost inevitable.

Meanwhile Metroid is kind of up in the air. Prime isn't popular in Japan, and Other M is hated almost universally (yeah it wasn't AS good, but it's not the trainwreck everyone makes it out to be).

It all comes down to this: Both villains deserve to be in. K.Rook would have a very fun moveset to play with. But Metroid, while nowhere near a doomed franchise, still needs a little spark of life. And Ridley in SSB4 would be a good start.

Who would I choose?
Ridley, to make it up to the fans of Japan (Prime) the West (Other M) and the World (Anniversary botch).
I just think METROID needs this more than DK does.
(But in the end, neither are in my top 10 so what do I know. XD)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Ridley. Metroid has only 1 character, DK already has 2.

Hong

The Strongest
I am not a fan of either, but when i think about gameplay I see qualities in Ridley that other characters couldn't replicate.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The last two characters I heavily support. However, given that Ridley is my favorite video game character this is a no-brainer for me. Still hoping that both will make it in though, we're in lack of villains and reptiles.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Ridley.
When I think Metroid, I think Samus, Ridley, Metroids, and how ****ing OP the Metroidverse is.
When I think Donkey Kong, i think Donkey Kong, hipster Diddy Kong, Bananas, and Cranky Kong.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I was suprised when i first joined here that the 2 Giant superstar villians were getting along in peace and harmony.

And now you tryna brake that?

Also Ridley :)

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Now this is a hard one, since I really would like to have them both in Super Smash Bros 4... But then again, my biggest character wish for SSB4 is King K, Rool, so I think I willl go with him.

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Ridley.

If the question was Ridley or any other possible character I'd still pick Ridley.

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Hm. That's a good question. I do like them both, but if I had to pick one, I would say, King K Rool shall be my choice.

RideRide

Smash Cadet
King K Rool

Even if he gets resized, he still feels more like a boss than a playable character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Metroid might need it more, but K.Rool needs the attention more than Ridley.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I would choose K.Rool
Shokio's points doesn't make sense because NO character in Smash are to scale. Pikachu is the same size as Charizard's stomach. Mario and Olimar are the same size in smash when in actuality Olimar's about an inch high.
Not to mention Ridley's size varies in Brawl.

[collapse= Look and compare]

This is Ridley's size during the fight:

Compare Ridley's head to Samus' body in the 2 last pictures.
Look how Samus is the same size as Ridley's head without stretching out her legs.
[/collapse]

This size argument means nothing. That being said both characters should make it.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Tough choice, but i have to go with king k. rool. Donkey kong country 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

And you should really make a poll for this thread

Top Bottom