• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you could eliminate certain characters from the current roster, would you?

Azureclipse

Smash Cadet
The roster itself has good choices. The only things making it so bad are the facts that Toon Link, Lucas, Ganondorf, Falco, and Wolf are full or partial clones, and that the clones got in and other fan-favorites like K Rool, Ridley, Issac, Geno, Claus, Ashley even, didn't. ROB isn't a bad character. Toon Link isn't a bad choice. Its just they were put in BEFORE all the massively-hyped characters.

But if I personally had my way with the roster, I'd declone Toon Link and Ganondorf, give Falco more extreme differences from Fox, replace Wolf with Ridley, make Lucas' game style incredibly different from Ness', and add Claus, a decloned Roy, King K. Rool, and Geno.

But thats just me.

Ness Earthbound Genius

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind clones since they play different, but Wolf needs to get out. We don't need more Star Fox characters. And R.O.B. already got to make an appearance in MKDS, plus it's a failed unknown app.

Oh Gibdo

Smash Journeyman
The roster itself has good choices. The only things making it so bad are the facts that Toon Link, Lucas, Ganondorf, Falco, and Wolf are full or partial clones, and that the clones got in and other fan-favorites like K Rool, Ridley, Issac, Geno, Claus, Ashley even, didn't. ROB isn't a bad character. Toon Link isn't a bad choice. Its just they were put in BEFORE all the massively-hyped characters.

But if I personally had my way with the roster, I'd declone Toon Link and Ganondorf, give Falco more extreme differences from Fox, replace Wolf with Ridley, make Lucas' game style incredibly different from Ness', and add Claus, a decloned Roy, King K. Rool, and Geno.

But thats just me.
I agree wholeheartedly!

Smash Ace
I believe altogether eliminating clones (and clone-like characters) would greatly benefit the roster. These are the characters I would jettison, and in this order:

1. Toon Link – There is no reason to have the same character appear twice in the same roster, no matter how he’s shaded.
2. Lucas – Ness is more than enough Mother series representation. If there had to be another character from this series, it should have been a character that didn’t look and play exactly like Ness. Not only that, he’s a Japan-only character. Why further alienate American audiences?
3 & 4. Wolf and Falco – These two are just too similar to Fox, especially since both have Fox’s final smash. There are no excuses for the laziness displayed on the part of the developers for this.
5. Marth – Do we really need two sword-wielding, blue-haired Fire Emblem characters? Ike is more than enough to suffice.
6. R.O.B. – He may not be a clone, but this thing is butt-ugly. There are some who argue he’s the same as Mr. Game and Watch, but I strongly disagree. I’ve played many Game & Watch games both as a kid and also many years later, when the games were ported to the Game Boy in the “Game & Watch Gallery” series. I haven’t played either of R.O.B.’s games (Gyromite and Stack-Up), nor would I want to. R.O.B. is an amusing relic from the eighties, sure, but absolutely not worthy of playable character status.

Now, before I’m hounded on by those who want to say that Luigi is a clone, I’ll reference Street Fighter II, which set the gold standard: One clone of the most prominent character is allowed, as long as the clone has a contrasting relationship to that character. Luigi is to Mario what Ken is to Ryu. Once is fine. Brawl’s current roster is not.

So there you have it: Eliminate six characters, and you have a decent roster of 29 that contains unique characters with original movesets. It would actually be a vast improvement over our current clone-cluttered roster.
what are you smoking? and where can I get some?

I mean, removing 6 characters and not even recommending replacements? come on!
oh, and you're on my black list for removing Wolf and Falco.
if I could remove a character, I would nvever do such a thing. if i could replace a character, I'd swipe Marth for Roy and Lucas for Dr. Mario.
=2007=

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Here's a better question:
If you could eliminate certain posters from the SWF forums, would you?

nin10do

Smash Journeyman
So you want to remove characters to "clean up" the roster? I strongly disagree: the clones and unpopular characters add more options into the game, so why would you? If you don't like them, you don't have to play them. They add to the diversity of the roster, no matter how clone-y they are. And it would be odd for Brawl to have only 3 more characters than Melee did.

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
What? Toon's weapons behave in a slightly different way, so that makes him "original"? He's the same character and uses the same weapons. I've watched the gameplay videos. I know how these characters behave. And I still think they are way, way too similar.

I can't believe the majority of respondents here are just flaming me with insults. At every other Smash board I've been to, I've actually found some intelligent discourse, but not here. I think I'll be sticking to those other sites for now. Jeez.
... You lost all credibility when you said to take Marth out because Ike was in and we didn't need two blue haired FE characters....

Also, just to clear some things up:

1. Ganondorf has been Luigified, basically. Ike is already the slow, powerful sword user, and magic? Meh. So they also knew there were Ganondorf fans in Melee also. What did they do? Change the character a bit, make him look a lot cooler, ect. They didn't change ENTIRELY how he plays though.

2. Toon Link is like Link, but with more differences. This is really the only one I'd call a 'clone', although Toon Link looks more like a beefed up Young Link to me. AKA one that can actually fight.

3. Lucas =/= Ness. Their A moves are totally different, and their B moves act different. They're similiar in many aspects, but their different A moves and B moves acting different is enough for me to say it's more 'Luigified' than anything.

4. Fox =/= Falco =/= Wolf. Alright they all have the same Final Smash. But Falco WAS changed, believe it or not. Some of his A moves were changed, and he does things like throw his reflector out. Also, for Wolf.... I'm not gonna comment on that because saying he's a clone is like saying Luigi's a clo- oh wait you think Luigi's a clone. NEVERMIND then. Your stupidity just owned my entire argument! Congrats. But seriously, Wolf and Falco are more like two different possibilities from Fox than anything. Like two different Luigis here, if anything. Also, Falco was in due to popularity, and Wolf's in because he's Fox's freaking rival! Why on earth shouldn't Fox's rival or enemy from the first game get in over a THIRD hero that didn't appear in the series until a Dinosaur Planet with the Fox brand slapped on it? I mean, about time Wolf is in. Besides, some people wanted him in anyways, and I find him cool.

5. R.O.B.... Congrats, you are ********. ROB is a unique, original character, and is the NES's posterboy, basically. Besides, they've been using the little bugger a lot more lately, so I guess it was kind of inevitable he would be in Brawl. Before you go 'he never was IN a game, he was IRL!' He has appeared not only IRL, but in multiple Nintendo games now.

And...... that's my argument as to why these guys shouldn't be eliminated, and also why they're more than you make them out to be. Dang, that one pic with Peach in Chapter 3 would be perfect right now! 'I complain on Message boards about games I've never played'... Perfect for this situation!

Oh, and what makes you stupider is you're saying that you'd cut a character WITHOUT replacing it.

Anyways, I like all the characters in, so to answer your question, I'd cut no one, since I love all these guys. <3

EDIT: NEVERMIND, ShortFuse owned the thread. Ignore this post and refer to his. <3

Iboid

Smash Apprentice
Complaining won't help you. Just leave the characters alone. Don't unlock them. DO WHATEVER.

Just don't start complaining.

Top Bottom