• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you are NEW to SMASH or COMPETITIVE gaming in general, LOOK HERE.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
I want you to read this article very carefully. VERY Carefully. If you don't read it, you are ignorant, if you read it and don't agree, you are ignorant. Read it. I've seen too many scrubs posting lately.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I want you to read this article very carefully. VERY Carefully. If you don't read it, you are ignorant, if you read it and don't agree, you are ignorant. Read it. I've seen too many scrubs posting lately.
Last time I checked... that was called 'intolerance', which is just as bad as ignorance. You're toeing a very fine line yourself, so maybe YOU need to do some thinking.

By the way... that article, which I have read, is also quoted WAY too often. Maybe people need to, I don't know... formulate their own thoughts instead of mindlessly quoting others?

Robiin

Smash Cadet
Is this really nescessary (spelling, I'm Swedish xD)?
:/ My first day of posting here, and this was totally what I was hoping for :)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Last time I checked... that was called 'intolerance', which is just as bad as ignorance. You're toeing a very fine line yourself, so maybe YOU need to do some thinking.

By the way... that article, which I have read, is also quoted WAY too often. Maybe people need to, I don't know... formulate their own thoughts instead of mindlessly quoting others?
1) Depends on what you're intolerant against. I'm intolerant against racism. Is that so bad? I'm so intolerant against stupidity. And people walking into an environment with a lot of Competitive Fighter players and spouting off about how they're playing it "wrong" or using "cheap tactics" and the likes while not grasping what "Playing to win" is stupid.
2) Why should we not quote it? It's easier than spelling out what it says in all of the threads in which people whine about "cheap tactics".
3) The OP should've worded the OP better, though. That I can agree on.,

meatpopsicle

Smash Apprentice
I wonder why people dislike "competitive" gamers...

Who dislikes competitive gamers for being competitive gamers? I'm a smash tourney-goer and nobody hates me for taking smash as seriously as I do. I think you just have a problem with particular people's attitudes that you attribute (unfairly) to a larger group (called stereotyping). the best smash players i've played against, and i've played some **** good people in my time, don't have any kind of attitude and have in fact been the most helpful/ nice to me.

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to point out that Adenosine Diphosphate is occasionally also broken down into Adenosine Monophosphate to liberate extra energy.

Psichoah

Smash Rookie
Competitive gaming philosophy lol.

But really, its no different a medium then chess..infinite layers of depth and strategy. (chess is the superior game of mental combat imho)

Most people can't or don't want to grasp the concept of a competitive video games though, but I have a feeling that the future is gonna change that.

It really is just two groups of people, one side just likes the game a lot more(cause they are competitive, kinda hard to argue with that) and ones that get beat a lot by the more competitive players.

The "scrubs" are just a name given to the people that make the game less fun to the advanced players, in my experiences.

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
Or shine spiking. Or the pillar. Or grabbing. Or attacking.

Wobbling can take out one life with a grab if Nana is nearby, not attacking, the grabbed player doesn't shake out of the grab before the headbutt, and nothing will forseeably interrupt it.

A shine spike has the potential to instantly kill many characters if they are off of the stage.

The pillar unavoidably breaks shields, which lands free smashes which lead to edgeguarding which lead to death.

What makes Wobbling so special, again?

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
1) Depends on what you're intolerant against. I'm intolerant against racism. Is that so bad? I'm so intolerant against stupidity. And people walking into an environment with a lot of Competitive Fighter players and spouting off about how they're playing it "wrong" or using "cheap tactics" and the likes while not grasping what "Playing to win" is stupid.
2) Why should we not quote it? It's easier than spelling out what it says in all of the threads in which people whine about "cheap tactics".
3) The OP should've worded the OP better, though. That I can agree on.,
1) That's not what I said. The OP said (not exact quotation; paraphrase), "If you don't agree with this, than you're ignorant", from which, you can infer that he means, "If you don't agree with ME, you're ignorant." THAT is called intolerance. Racism is intolerance because it is unnecessary hate toward a group simply for being different. The OP agrees with the linked-to article, which is basically an op-ed piece, or an opinion-based article. That means that the OP is telling people who don't agree with his opinion that they are ignorant. That is intolerance. That is wrong.
2) I have no problem with using quotations... but that (again) opinion-based article has been quoted so much that I'm willing to bet that some people now link to it without even reading the whole thing! If you are going to quote an opinion-based article (one that I have read and one that I do agree with, by the way), you have to be willing to support your assertion, because you cannot use an opinion-based article as though it is fact, which has been going on a lot on these boards lately.
3) Agreed.

Yoyo89

Smash Rookie
Wow, that article is a classic. Really, I can't tell you how many times I've come across it on competetive gaming forums (Shoryuken, Tekkenzaibatsu, etc.)

But really, that's just the way it goes.

meatpopsicle

Smash Apprentice
Or shine spiking. Or the pillar. Or grabbing. Or attacking.

Wobbling can take out one life with a grab if Nana is nearby, not attacking, the grabbed player doesn't shake out of the grab before the headbutt, and nothing will forseeably interrupt it.

A shine spike has the potential to instantly kill many characters if they are off of the stage.

The pillar unavoidably breaks shields, which lands free smashes which lead to edgeguarding which lead to death.

What makes Wobbling so special, again?
Wobbling is "special" because once you're grabbed there's NOTHING you can do against a wobbling opponent.

While shinespiking has gimping potential, if you're an intelligent player you can avoid it and even (pretty easily) punish someone who tries to shinespike you.

Pillaring doesn't "unavoidably" break shields. There is a lot of tech skill involved, even pros mess up pillaring here and there. Wobbling all you're doing is pressing A. But more importantly, you can always do something to escape (even punish) a pillaring opponent, like roll, or spot dodge and do a quick attack.

Anything else?

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
People tend to clutch on whatever talent they think they have, however trivial it may be.
Well that's not really fair to a lot of people. It's placing a huge stereotype on people at the forums who love this game. At this forum, we should be promoting people's passion for the game. They're passionate enough to have their own ideas and opinions about it, which is good. If not they would just be mindlessly playing it.

And I'm sure MOST people here don't completely define themselves by smash. I'm sure they have things in school, work or outside activities they're dedicated to also.

If people want to express themselves through a video game, should we really stifle it?

I'm all for disagreement and further discussion though. Saying that if you don't agree with an article, it makes you ignorant is going too far. It's kind of really ignorant to post that on a thread in a FORUM, which has the function of DISCUSSION.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'm all for disagreement and further discussion though. Saying that if you don't agree with an article, it makes you ignorant is going too far. It's kind of really ignorant to post that on a thread in a FORUM, which has the function of DISCUSSION.
You, sir, have won! Your prize? The internets.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
You, sir, have won! Your prize? The internets.
I'd like to thank my parents and ISP. Without them I would never be able to internet.

Ya I know how people just love to shut other people down because they believe they have all the answers. I was just trying to make a small effort not to perpetuate that trend on these boards.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
The tremendously idiotic and pompous OP does a disservice to what is nevertheless a well-written and insightful article by an experienced competitive player, even though people suck his **** way too much. :bee:

Top Bottom