• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If the DLC characters had Custom Moves, what would you want them to be?

Reaperfan

Smash Apprentice
Surely I'm not the only one disappointed by the fact that these characters have no custom moves. I've found when I'm bored and my thoughts are drifting I'll imagine what moves these characters could possibly have. I only know enough history about one of the characters (Mewtwo) to conceptualize a full set though, so I was curious what others might think could work for the characters they like. If these characters ever get custom moves, what kind of moves would you like to see?

My Mewtwo thoughts in the spoiler:

Italicized text is the official attack descriptions from the Pokemon games for context.

------------------------------

Neutral 2 - Psyshock

"The user materializes an odd psychic wave to attack the target. This attack does physical damage."

Projectile path is straight rather than wavy. In terms of projectile power at various charge levels and speed, I'm imagining something similar to ROB's laser.

Neutral 3 - Psywave

"The target is attacked with an odd psychic wave. The attack varies in intensity."

Cannot be charged. Projectile path and knockback is still equal to an uncharged Shadow Ball. Projectile itself has a tail, similar to PK Thunder but only about a third to a quarter of the length of a PK Thunder tail.

Side 2 - Psycho Cut

"The user tears at the target with blades formed by psychic power. Critical hits land more easily."

Doesn't reflect projectiles and isn't a grab, but has the same hitbox as Confusion. Instead is just a basic attacking hitbox that does extra shield damage.

Side 3 - Barrier

"The user throws up a sturdy wall that sharply raises its Defense stat."

Basically Palutena's Reflect but with slower startup and endlag (I'm imagining similar lag times to Dedede's Gordo Toss on both ends). The wall itself isn't a reflector though, and is instead an actual physical wall. Projectiles will be blocked by it and players can't walk or jump through it.

Up 2 - Telekinesis

"The user makes the target float with its psychic power. The target is easier to hit for three turns."

Basically Project M's floating mechanic as an actual move. Can still attack out of it but will put you in helpless at the end. Duration is long enough that, when travelling in a straight line, will cover the same distance as Teleport by the end.

Up 3 - Phantom Force

"The user vanishes somewhere, then strikes the target on the next turn. This move hits even if the target protects itself."

Slower startup, travel, and reappearing times than normal Teleport (I'm imagining something similar to Meta Knight's Dimensional Cape). Has a hitbox upon reappearing that will hit opponents even if they are shielding. Knockback is strong enough to avoid being punished if you hit someone, but not strong enough to be a kill move until higher percents.

Down 2 - Future Sight

"Two turns after this move is used, a hunk of psychic energy attacks the target."

Does not interact with the opponent. When Mewtwo's eyes flash he leaves a spark where his head is. The spark has no hitbox, but will explode 1.5 - 2 seconds later. I'm imagining explosion size to be slighter larger and knockback to be slightly lower than Bowser Jr's up-B.

Down 3 - Hypnosis

"The user employs hypnotic suggestion to make the target fall into a deep sleep."

Works whether the opponent is facing you or not. Sleeps rather than stuns. Sleeping duration is lower at all percents than what Disable would stun them for.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Stuff I made up for Ryu customs I made ages ago:

1. Hadouken: Fires a blue Ki fireball. Tap special for lighter version.*

2. Denjin Hadouken: Fires a yellow tinted Ki fireball which stuns opponents for a short time. Hits twice and is effective against shields and breaks Heavy Armour and some Super Armour.

3. Gou Hadouken: Fires a Dark Purple Ki Blast that is stronger than normal, but has shorter range. Fires diagonally in mid-air and two smaller fireballs can be thrown while in midair.

*Applies for all versions of the move.

1. Shoryuken: A strong rising uppercut that can be cancelled from a few normal moves. Tap special for lighter version.*

2. Flame Shoryuken: A shorter Flaming Shoryuken that does more hits based on the lighter or heavy versions.

3. Dragon Smash: Slightly weaker than the normal Shoryuken, but with a meteor attack at the apex of the attack.

*Applies for all moves.

1. Tatsumaki Senpukyaku: A hurricane kick that strikes once, but hard. Tap special for lighter version.*

2. Tatsumaki Gorasen: A multi-hit hurricane kick that spins upwards and end in a swift, but powerful kick that is also a meteor smash. Spins across like normal in the air.

3. Shunpukyaku: A twirling kick that rises and floats back down while spinning that also ends in a launcher kick for follow up combos when the heavy version is ued. Also good against shields.

*Applies for all moves.

1. Focus Attack: Ryu gets into a stance and unleashes a powerful punch forward punch. Super Armour last for one hit the during charge. FADC possible.

2. Red Focus: A Focus Attack that flashes Red and will take damage upon activation and more will be taken the more it is used. During the start up it has unlimited Super armour during the entire charge. Any damage taken will be halved. Can break shields.

3. Counter Focus: A focus attack that acts as a normal counter. Any damage taken will be halved and will slowly deplete back too original %. FADC is possible.

D O N E B O Y S

Last edited:

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Phoenix beat me to the Ryu customs, so I guess I'll have a go at Mewtwo:

B: - Psycho Cut: Purple, crescent shaped, Falco laser type projectile; slow, light damage
- Focus Blast: Orange Shadow Ball, full charge takes longer, MUCH slower but MUCH more powerful (i.e. Lucario's Spirit Bomb in PM), also deals damage while being charged (like Melee's Shadow Ball)

Side-B: - Psyschock: Grabs target dealing dps and knocking opponents upwards (Ganondorf Side-B 2 without the dash part and dunk)
- Shadow Punch: Grabs target, hits them with a powerful punch, knocks them horizontally

Up-B: - Calm Mind: Status move; Increases Mewtwo horizontal air speed and jump height for 10 seconds (10 second cooldown) (Basically, this removes an actual recovery move for increased stats to aid recovery)
- Trick: Switches Mewtwo's place with his opponent's if within a certain range

Down-B: - Mircale eye: Faster, but shorter stun
- Swagger: Slower, but longer stun

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
For Roy, I can only think of customs for his Flare Blade and Counter:

Flare Blade:
  1. Dragon's Quake: Roy plants his sword to the ground, making pillars of fire to erupt in front of him. (think Sol Badguy's Gunflame)
  2. Ranged Flare: Essentially Flare Blade, but as a projectile akin to Greninja's Water Shuriken. Longer the charge, the closer to Roy the final explosion is.
Counter:
  1. Mend: Countering an attack heals Roy for x1.35 of it's damage.
  2. To be disclosed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Roy

Flare Blade
1. Covers more horizontal distance, less overall damage
2. Hits on both sides of him, slightly increased endlag
3. Creates a windbox. Longer the charge, stronger the push

Double Edge Dance
1. Only 3 hits opposed to 4. He is given superarmor
2. 4 hits, link faster/easier, less overall damage
3. Higher damage, more strict input time

Blazer
1. Distance increased by 50%, knockback and damage output decreased
2. Vertical recovery only, distance increased by 30%, can act after animation
3. Zig-zag recovery pattern (left > right > left), high damage output. Increased vertical recovery, decreased horizontal recovery.

Counter
1. @ A AfroGamerNinja 's Mend idea
2. Decreased start-up/cool down, attack weakened to x1.2
3. No knockback, no damage, puts enemy into stun.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
For Lucas, I might have some ideas.
Neutral customs:
1. PK Quick Freeze- Smaller hitbox and opponents break out of the ice sooner, but they'll be launched.
2. PK Flash- Basically Ness's PK Flash.

Side customs:
1. PK Fire Trail- The projectile is multi-hitting, dealing more damage, but doesn't launch.
2. PK Fire Pillar- Ness's PK Fire.

Up Customs:
1. PK Quick Thunder- More control of the projectile and faster speed, but less distance and knockback.
2. PK Thunder Missle- Ness's PK Thunder.

Down Customs:
1. PSI Vacuum- Doesn't absorb projectiles, but sucks opponents in and launches them with an expolsion.
2. Full Body PSI Magnet- Ness's PSI Magnet.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I remember about how much my hype for DLCs as a whole was killed when I saw that Mewtwo didn't have custom moves... I eventually got over it because I don't want that to deflate my hype towards potential future DLC characters which I'm going to enjoy with customs off anyway but I'm still salty and confused about them being MIA, especially with absolutely no official acknowledgment of this concern by Nintendo outside of the game.

I've made a custom moveset for Mewtwo and Roy. The Mewtwo one will seem more inspired, that's because there are enough moves from the source material which would fit well as variations with the same character animations as default. Roy comparatively does not have as much potential to create customs variations inspired from specific source material.

Directly from my Mewtwo custom moves thread and my Roy custom moves thread (the former which notably explain my thought process about how to imagine my Mewtwo custom moves), here are the potential custom movesets I've imagined for them:

Mewtwo:
Move|Custom 2|Custom 3
Neutral special | Aura Shadow Ball : a Shadow Ball that works like Lucario's Aura Sphere at 75% (for example, hits the enemy while charging). Same appearance, but recolored to be much more dark, and inflicts darkness effect rather than aura effect.| Electro Ball : aesthetically, rather than dark energy, it's a ball of electricity looking similar to Mewtwo's neutral aerial. It is less powerful than Shadow Ball, but it is faster and the more it is charged, the more it becomes even faster when launched. It inflicts electric damage and pierces through opponents. It also gives even more backward recoil than default Shadow Ball, even when Mewtwo uses it on the ground.
Side special | Mirror Coat : the move cannot directly harm opponents contrary to Confusion, but it becomes stronger as a reflector (reflected projectiles are 1.4x stronger compared to Confusion), and reflected projectiles travel faster as well.| Trick : less damage as a direct offensive move (6% instead or 10% for Confusion), reflecting power also multiplied by 0.8% compared to default, but the move has less lag overall, better range, gives a better mid-air jump than default, and steals thrown items like Bob-Ombs or Metal Blades.
Up special | Safety Teleport : at the cost of slightly more starting lag and less travel distance, it doesn't leave Mewtwo helpless after the move.| Assault Teleport : for even more starting lag and the same travel distance compared Safety Teleport, it makes Mewtwo create a devastating explosion wherever he reappears. It leaves him helpless, of course!
Down special | Miracle Eye : for more range, the hypnotic flash (which is purple instead of white) hits the opponent, it inflicts slight hitstun, 1% damage, then the hit character is unable to use shield, rolls and dodges for seven seconds.| Future Sight : slightly more range than disable, inflicts a slight wind box if it hits, then fourteen seconds after that the hit opponent explodes in a blast of dark energy appearing in the same place where it is. This dark explosion is considerably powerful, but it can be dodged or shielded; however, dodging the explosion requires perfect timing, and the explosion has increased shield damage, which means the hit character will likely have its shield broken unless it is fully charged.
Roy:
Move|Custom 2|Custom 3
Neutral special | Distant Flare Blade : when the move is unleashed, Roy does the same sword slash as for his default Flare Blade, but without any fire or explosion at first. After doing the slash, a disjointed explosion aesthetically similar to default Flare Blade happens at a further, but set and still moderate distance, but is comparatively less powerful and the hitbox is smaller, and its fully-charged version doesn't inflict self damage and isn't stupidly overpowered (still a very strong kill option, but not a 50% damage OHKO move). The initial sword slash Roy uses before the explosion happens also has a hitbox, though its range is very poor, and its set knockback is designed to send the opponent into the range of the explosion. This move is also laggier overall than default Flare Blade.| Flare Pillar : works similar to flare blade, except that it is less powerful and its horizontal range is lower; as a trade-off, the explosion now produces a vertical fire attack that goes higher and higher as long as the move is charged. Its vertical range is rather impressive even uncharged, and fully charged, it goes even higher than Palutena's up smash. The explosion in front of Roy is also more powerful than that flare pillar, but both are less powerful than default Flare Blade's explosion anyway.
Side special | Double Edge Dash : each strike now makes Roy move forward considerably more than default Dancing Blade, giving the move a better approach option, at the cost of power.| Reckless Edge Dance : strikes are slower, and the final strike in particular has more cooldown, but the move overall inflicts more damage and the final strike also becomes a powerful kill option.
Up special | Explosive Blazer : same trajectory and same maniability as default Blazer, but as an offensive move it becomes completely different. Instead of dragging the opponent, its knockback properties are designed to send the opponent far away from Roy's attack, in order to make it sure it doesn't hit several hitboxes of the move. This move has indeed different hitboxes, being less powerful at the beginning of the move and more powerful in the very final hit. Aesthetically, this move has an explosion at the very final hitbox, in order to highlight the more powerful hitbox from the move's duration.| Distant Blazer : increase recovery distance, but this move's maneuverability is much lower compared to default Blazer. Offensive properties overall unchanged.
Down special | Explosive Counter : Roy still takes damage during the counter window, but it becomes more powerful in both damage and knockback. It is also easier to punish if missed. Aesthetic-wise, an explosion is also added.| High-Speed Counter : significantly faster startup at the cost of power and counter window.

Last edited:

RADSheikah

Smash Apprentice
When I first heard Ryu was Coming I thought it would have been cool if Ken was one of his alts and thus if you wanted to "Truly play as Ken" You would change Ryu's custom moves to be the "Ken Variants" There would also be some based on the other Shoto's

N-Special 1 Ken's Hadoken: A Hadoken that is faster but weaker than the other Hadokens. Albe to use another one faster. Same button Input and can still use the Shakunetsu Hadoken

N-Special 2 Gadoken: A move which doesn't travel very far but does some decent knockback if hit by it. Same motion and still can use the Shakunetsu

S-Special 1 Ken's Tatsu: A faster but weaker Tatsu that multi-hits. Same button input

S-Special 2 Tatsumaki Zankukyaku: A very Powerful version of the Tatsu that is harder to control. This one also Multi-hit but either stays in place or janks around randomly. Is used by the Same input

U-Special 1 Ken's Shoryuken: With this variation You get more Horizontal Recovery with less vertical recovery. It's pretty powerful and can do a major world of hurt on your enemies. Same button input. Also it's on fire

U-Special 2 Forbidden Shoryuken: This Shoryuken ken doesn't give the best recovery but it can multi-hit hitting up to a most of 8 times. This one has a different input being:GCD::GCDR::GCR::GCD::GCDR::GCR::GCA:

D-Special 1 Ken's focus attack: This variation of the Focus attack is a kick instead of a punch. a bit more starting lag but can hit just as hard as Ryu's. Can also be FADC.

D-Special 2 Red Focus attack: A more counter based attack this one does more damage the more you've been hit. Can also be FADC

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
yeah I have ideas for :4mewtwo: custom moves!

Okay so first, here is the list of all specials.

CUSTOMS 1:

CUSTOMS 2:

Top Bottom