• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If Super Smash Bros. Debuted Later

DreamyMystX64

Smash Cadet
Premium
Inspired by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFSvuJXxUSk

My take would be somewhat of a Mario esque spin-off that features half Marioverse characters (including Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong) and the other half are from various Nintendo properties.

This would be the roster for the first game, titled "Mario All-Star Fray" (which would've launched for N64 in 2000):
01. Mario
02. Luigi
03. Peach
04. Bowser
05. Yoshi
06. Wario
07. Donkey Kong
08. Diddy Kong
09. Banjo & Kazooie
10. Conker
11. T.T. (assuming he warranted his own series)
12. MIPS (assuming he warranted his own series)

13. Link
14. Pit
15. Samus
16. Takamaru
17. Marth
18. Fox
19. Kirby
20. Tetrimono (based on the characters from the Virtual Boy title "3D Tetris")
21. Ryota Hayami
22. Captain Falcon
23. Lip
24. Pikachu

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Thought exercises on seeing what would have happened if SSB started after 1999 are pretty interesting. If we’re specifically discussing SSB64, I’d assume that the latest release timeline would be the turn of the century, which would be around Mario Party 3/Pokemon Stadium 2/Paper Mario’s release.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultlink::ultsamus:
:ultmarth::ultfalcon::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultness::ultlucas::ultfox::ultfalco:
:ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo:
Reasons
The only two SSB64 fighters that I’m unsure would have joined are Ness and Jigglypuff given Earthbound 64’s development Gold/Silver being released year before this version’s release. With the longer amount of development time, I feel like Lucas would have been far in development before Earthbound 64’s cancellation, so he’d join, but Ness would end up being Lucas’s semi-clone after the cancellation was notified. I don’t think there would be anything off with having both Jigglypuff and Pichu on the roster as Jigglypuff could have been considered earlier. In addition to Pichu, I could imagine the scrapped four and Falco making the cut as Falco is the easiest one to turn into a Fox clone. After that, I’ll just top off the roster with Peach as I don’t know how the original project plannwould have been affected in this scenario, and Peach is a pretty obvious addition, assuming that we can workaround the polygon limitations of Peach’s dress (this was something mentioned by SSB64 modders).
SSB2 (late 2003/2004)
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultfalcon::ultgnw:
:ultlink:(:ultzelda::ultsheik:):ulttoonlink::ultsamus::ultmarth:(Eliwood):ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultness::ultlucas:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo:(Blaziken):ultfox::ultfalco:(Isaac):ultolimar::ultsnake::ultsonic:
Reasons
In terms of cuts, Lucas, Jigglypuff, and Pichu feel like the low hanging fruit, but I wanted to keep Lucas as he’s kind of an OC at this point. If anyone else was cut, it would have been King Dedede or Falco due to time constraints. Going into the newcomers, Wario, Diddy Kong, Zelda, and Olimar seem obvious enough. Sheik joins as Zelda’s most active roles involved a second identity, and I don’t know if I would have had enough knowledge on Tetra to make her work. I think that Snake and Sonic could have joined here based on requests. For other fresh characters, Toon Link, Eliwood, Blaziken, and Isaac are added. I kind of see Isaac as my Pit where he may not be a true heavy hitter, but he seems like a fun addition. Mr. Game & Watch retains his surprise fighter status.
SSB3
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultfalcon::ultgnw:
:ultlink:(:ultzelda::ultsheik:):ulttoonlink::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultike::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultness::ultlucas:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultfox::ultfalco:(Isaac):ultolimar::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman:
Reasons
This one becomes pretty interesting because my Gamecube roster is larger, and half of Brawl’s newcomers were already present. In terms of cuts, Eliwood and Blaziken are the lowest hanging fruit. From the newcomers that were actually added, Meta Knight is the next step forward with Kirby. Ike and Lucario help promote newer games. I like the idea of Pokemon Trainer. After that, I have Zero Suit Samus, Pit, R.O.B., and Wolf in the air for now. For other newcomers not added yet, I‘m sure Ganondorf, Mega Man, and Pac-Man would sneak their way in.

I’ll later make future rosters for a late 2003/early 2004 SSB2 (I assume other games would have similar timelines, and it‘s a matter of how much content could actually fit then).

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
I’m going to go much later in the timeline to 2016, the final year of the Wii U.

Super Smash Bros. (2016)
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultyoshi:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultfox:
:ultpikachu::ultcharizard::ultgreninja::ultmarth::ultchrom::ultpit:
:ultolimar::ultalph::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultshulk::ultmiifighters:

It’s a small roster, of only 24, chosen from Nintendo’s biggest series at the time (don’t think about the butterfly effect too hard).

The game, like many Wii U games would get a port to the next system, the Nintendo Switch, alongside an extra seven characters on the roster. It released right before the COVID-19 pandemic.

Super Smash Bros. DX (2020)
:ultwario:[Cinderace]:ultbyleth:
(:ultpyra::ultmythra:):ultinkling:[Octoling]:ultminmin

Last edited:
Top Bottom