• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If speed is increased why will this help low tiers.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
So here are my thoughts. Btw I'm a big Ganon player and I've heard he seems a lot faster.

Wouldn't this obviously be due to the increased speed of the game and lower overall aerial landing lag?

So I keep seeing Ganon is so much faster type posts but wouldn't the speed increase make the fast/good players even faster so all things considered Ganon will still get rekt by them? Obviously they are changing some moves and such but the frame data improvement is across the board so in what way does this maake
Ganon any better against the rest of the cast?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
No, all this stuff is supposed to standardize the mobility and landing lag for the whole cast. Which is to say, the slower characters are getting faster, but the faster characters aren't. (or are getting slower)

The whole cast is overall a lot closer together as far as this goes than before, and this helps the worse characters because they can now do stuff only top tiers were able to do. They're catching up.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
You seem to be confusing endlag with running speed. True everyone got buffed in the running department, but all characters also are faster in terms of endlag. The startup and endlag of a character's moves is what really solidifies a "slow" vs "fast" character. For example, in Pokken, Machamp is the slowest character in the game overall, yet his frame data is overall the best in the game. The latter makes the former a totally okay deal and he is overall balanced by being easy to camp, but an absolute monster when the distance is closed. Heck, some will even say he's one of the top tiers of that game (though tiers are rather nebulous for Pokken). The slow character being really good has to do with frame data.

For an example in Smash, Bowser in Smash 4 is in the top 10 in terms of speed overall, but his frame data sucks, and because of that, he isn't the greatest character ever. Meanwhile, a slower character like Ike has better frame data than Bowser as a whole, which means Ike seems faster than he is.

Untouch

Smash Master
Heavier characters in smash 4 are punished too easily, they have too much landing lag, so someone can easily perfect shield and grab them.
Ultimate's new shield mechanics and lower landing lag should help a lot, but I still don't see any heavyweights (except maybe snake, because of his tools) being high tier.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
The thing that helps the lower tiers or someone like Ganondorf is the lower landing lag on aerials. Ganondorf's Nair is very scary due to it having basically little to no landing lag now and can punish stuff a lot better then he could ever do before. Same thing goes with the universal 3-frame jumpsquat. Going back to Ganondorf, his air-to-air game is MUCH deadlier due to now having a good jumpsquat so most if not all of his aerials are more deadly as punish tools and in the case of Nair, a good get off me tool.

While this helps every character (look at people like Link and Snake), characters like Ganondorf, Dedede, Ike and the like are helped a lot by the overall mechanics.

LilTurel

Smash Cadet
So judging by this discussion would a significant reduction to end lag be a solid way to buff heavy weights across the board or is that to broad a brush?

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
So judging by this discussion would a significant reduction to end lag be a solid way to buff heavy weights across the board or is that to broad a brush?
I would say yes, or at the very least allow for a baseline of what every character should have, like a poking tool, a quick approach option, a shield pressure/breaker tool, an anti-air, etc. The end lag reduction would certainly help overall, but I like complicated solutions lol.

Top Bottom