• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IF Sega really is up to console making...

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=2670]IF Sega really is up to console making...[/drupal]

So earlier this year Sega patented two controller designs, some kind of USB memory system and a new processor or something to then end. Technically old news, but I didn’t find out until a few days ago and apparently Sega hasn’t said what these are for, and some rumors (that probably don’t have an ounce of truth to them) have been going around about a new Sega console in the works. I personally think that this is just stuff for arcades (Sega has been making arcade machines for a while now) but hey, we can all hope and dream, right? After thinking about it for a while, I decided that this is what I’d like to see Sega do if there is truth to these rumors and Sega is planning on making a come back.

First of all, start out with a rock-solid library and online service. For online, Sega should have an excellent selection of classic titles to download right off the bat. For the Genesis/Mega Drive, give us the games that almost every Genesis owner who has the right to call themselves one (or an ex one) would remember. Give us the Sonic trilogy, Golden Axe, Shining Force, hell, you recently put out a huge-*** collection of great Genesis/Mega Drive titles, pull most of them from there. And for the long-forgotten Saturn, do the same. Nights into Dreams…, Burning Rangers, House of the Dead, probably a billion other games that I don’t know about because I never even touched a Saturn until about a few days ago… the works. Oh yes, and the Dream Cast, if it’s possible, try to give your new system backwards compatibility with this underrated work of beauty and put the most memorable games on your download service. I know I’d download Jet Grind Radio, Soul Calibur, Shenmue and countless others if you put them up.

Now there’s the matter of building up your launch library. If you’re going to come back, do it in style with some proper revivals of older franchises. Most people were not fans of post-Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic titles (well, I liked Heroes and I think Shadow the Hedgehog is an extremely underrated game, I could go on but I won’t), so if I ran Sega I’d have my Sonic launch title be Sonic Adventure 3, as my way of saying “aaaah… okay, we’re sorry of that lapse in quality in recent years, here’s the real Sonic the Hedgehog.” However, I’d take more than a great new Sonic game to make Sega’s new system’s library worth while.

With recent hits like Bioshock, Dead Space and Resident Evil 5 the survival horror genre is steadily climbing up the popularity meter, so why not pump out a third game in the Condemned series? I’ve never played them but I hear they’re bloody terrifying, and making the third game an exclusive for your console would be a great move for drawing in survival horror fans.

First-person shooters broke the popularity meter, so it would make sense to make an FPS franchise. I would say Panzer Dragoon, but that was a rail shooters and I wouldn’t want to see how the transition goes, you could put a Conduit sequel out, but the reviews for that game were… fairly poor (I never played it myself) so in this case I’d just make a new franchise and see where that goes.

Because of God of War, Beat ‘em Ups have found moderate popularity in this generation of gaming. So what do you do? Three words: Golden. Axe. Reboot. I’m not talking about Golden Axe Beast Rider, I’m talking about some real Golden Axe here. Some insanely fun hack-’n-slash action here with your best buds, and with the addition of online, you wouldn’t even have to be in the same country as your friends. Now that’s what I’d want out of a new Golden Axe, so if you do have a new system in the works… please, Sega, please?

Fighting games aren’t anywhere near as popular as they once were, but hey, some people (me) still like them. From what I played in the fifth installment, you might was well put out the sixth Virtua Fighter on your new console that you probably aren’t making.

Those are just a small handful of some popular (or at least somewhat popular) genres that I suggest Sega make games for assuming that this rumors (which I believe are most likely false) hold some truth to them. Some other suggestions I have to strengthen their launch library include a third NiGHTS title, an actual honest-to-God sequel to Phantasy Star Online instead of mucking around with this Phantasy Star Universe crap to give a nice boost to your online service, a third Jet Set Radio and even though JRPGs are rapidly loosing popularity in the west, another Shinning Force. And I expect a variety of inventive and original tiles, assuming that there really is a new system in the works.

I personally believe that these rumors are a load of bull and that Sega is just going to remain a lowly third-party developer. However, Sega did play a big role in my childhood (my first system was a Genesis, and one my best friends had a Dreamcast that we’d play all day each time I stopped by his place for a visit) and I would love to see them come back as one of the big names in gaming. So if you really are sneakily making a new console (keep in mind that this stuff they’ve patented is probably all materials for future arcade machines) I’m supporting you all the way!

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Those are some decent ideas, especially the reboot of Golden Axe. for FPS maybe a revamping of Gunstar Heroes... RPG... Shadow Run, or Shining Force... yeah definitely Shining Force... beat-em-ups, Streets of Rage was choice... Action Comix Zone was a big hit too.

I hate to say it after the whole 9/9/09 Dreamcast 2 thing washing out it's painfully clear that Sega just doesn't have enough investment capital to get back into the hardware wars. Now if they allied themselves with Sony, Nintendo or *laugh* Microsoft then maybe... maybe. But these patent renewals and whatnot are not uncommon for companies, they do it every so often for legal purposes.

I miss Sega systems. Game Gear was fantastic... Genesis always looked way better to me than SNES... Saturn was an incredible system, whose realized potential was technically only HALF of what the system could really do... and Dreamcast though their last effort in a system, wasn't a bad system at all, Sega was usually always ahead of the curve in development.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I think Sega is really done with consoles. If they still had any plans to make a new console, they wouldn't have given Nintendo the rights to their games in the Virtual Console store.

Nintendo would give a lot of resistancen to Sega using their games on their own new console.

Pikachugirl

Banned via Administration
I doubt Sega would ever start making consoles again. They probably don't make enough money, since they keep saying they've made an awesome game, people buy it, it sucks, so no one buys frum them anymore. It seems strange that they failed, though. I still play the old Sega games. They're awesome!

BigDaddy4

Smash Journeyman
ok enough of this "sega might make consoles again" bull****. They died with the dreamcast, they arent coming back, and it would be stupid if they did seeing as they cant even make decent games for their own creations (sonic for example). So please, enough of the sega coming back to consoles or dreamcast 2 bull.

Ryne

Smash Cadet
I highly doubt it. The genesis was their best selling console and rest were terrible, including Sega CD and the Dreamcast. I think they'll stay as a 3rd party developer for now.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
I highly doubt it. The genesis was their best selling console and rest were terrible, including Sega CD and the Dreamcast. I think they'll stay as a 3rd party developer for now.
You're an idiot, Dreamcast was an amazing system.

It came out years before GCN, PS2, and xbox were released, no one supported it though.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You're an idiot, Dreamcast was an amazing system.

It was ahead of the N64 and PS1 and came out years before they were released, no one supported it though.
While I enjoy the enthusiasm of your post, you are technically incorrect.

PS1 (Playstation) was released December 3, 1994 (Japan)
N64 was released June 23, 1996 (Japan)
Sega Dreamcast was released November 27, 1998 (Japan)

It -was- however released before PS2, Xbox, and GCN.

kthxbye

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
oh yeah, no doubt. they always have, look at game gear, I mean here nintendo had this dinky little monochrome POS (I have never liked gameboy even color) but it had a TV tuner! totally used to watch TV while in school :laugh:

finalark

SNORLAX
Well someone here never played Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Street Fighter III: Third Strike, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Ikaruga, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, or Phantasy Star Online (to name a few), did they?

Anyway, I personally think that this rumor is bull, like I said, it's all probably stuff for the arcades. I love Sega, they were a big part of my childhood and I still enjoy many of their games. But as I said, we can all hope and dream for the improbable, eh?

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I can understand someone hating the Dreamcast. It was basically a console full of arcade ports, which can be a hit or miss.

I loved the arcade ports so the Dreamcast is still one of my favorite consoles though.

finalark

SNORLAX
I can understand someone hating the Dreamcast. It was basically a console full of arcade ports, which can be a hit or miss.

I loved the arcade ports so the Dreamcast is still one of my favorite consoles though.
Agreed, but to my knowlage half the people who hate on the Dreamcast have never even play one, or in some cases, touched one.

And yes, I love the Dreamcast too. Probably because I love arcade games, I had a nerdgasim when I went down to the new arcade they recently put in about a year ago and saw that they had Marvel VS. Capcom 2 in there...

D

Deleted member

I just can't see Sega back in the business. I just don't think they'd have much of an audience.

finalark

SNORLAX
I just can't see Sega back in the business. I just don't think they'd have much of an audience.
I don't know, the Dreamcast has a HUGE cult following, along with the Genesis, but not really the Saturn to my knowlage. Then again, while a new Sega system would appeal to older gamers who might have had a Genesis back when they were kids, but to a younger audiance who are constantly getting pumped off of Gears of War, well... probably not.

**** current-gen, it really makes me wish that Microsoft never got involved.

•Col•

Smash Champion
They're not making a new console right now, lol.

I frequent the official Sega forums... The Administrator, who works with Sega, has stated numerous times that Sega currently doesn't have any intentions for reentering into the console market.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
...You do realize that Sega is one of the main companies that still caters to the underground, rather than to the mainstream like Nintendo, and more and more Micro and Sony are doing, right?

Unless you dislike Sega, and NOT SONIC, you generally will never ever protest to them coming back. More than slim, Sega is well remembered and barely anyone bad mouths them at their prime because a high majority of people loved the Dreamcast and the Genesis. The whole internet took the time to to say "Happy 10th anniversary, Dreamcast!" on 9/9/09.

Generally, people have doubts and dont believe Sega has the power, even with Sammy joined to them, but if Sega suddenly went, "Hey! We're making a new console!"

I will assure you, nearly every underground gamer will be up in arms.

And considering they're still going super strong in Japan via Arcades, Japan would be behind them nooo ****ing doubt.

finalark

SNORLAX
...You do realize that Sega is one of the main companies that still caters to the underground, rather than to the mainstream like Nintendo, and more and more Micro and Sony are doing, right?

Unless you dislike Sega, and NOT SONIC, you generally will never ever protest to them coming back. More than slim, Sega is well remembered and barely anyone bad mouths them at their prime because a high majority of people loved the Dreamcast and the Genesis. The whole internet took the time to to say "Happy 10th anniversary, Dreamcast!" on 9/9/09.

Generally, people have doubts and dont believe Sega has the power, even with Sammy joined to them, but if Sega suddenly went, "Hey! We're making a new console!"

I will assure you, nearly every underground gamer will be up in arms.

And considering they're still going super strong in Japan via Arcades, Japan would be behind them nooo ****ing doubt.
This, 110% this. Lets be honest, unless you only pay attention to Sonic you'll see that Sega has put out a number of good games recently. Madworld, House of the Dead: Overkill, and even though I have no interest in it, apparently Bayonetta is going to be good. And so far, Phantasy Star 0 has been extremely well received to the point where I'm planning on picking up a copy. Oh yes, and even though I haven't played it apparently the Conduit is pretty **** good. And lets not forget Super Monkey Ball and the House of the Dead arcade games, man I love those.

Anyway, I believe that if Sega were to surprise everyone at E32010 by saying "Here is our new console, it will be competing with Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft next generation" I think that a larger amount of gamers than most would expect would be excited for this. Hell, I would put the inevitable PS4 on hold just to go get Sega's new toy (lets call it the Ringedge from now on because saying "Sega's New console" is kind of tiring). And I'm a Play Station fan boy!

The point is, while the chances of Sega making a new console are close to zero, it's something that all Sega fans like to talk about. Possibilities, ideas, evidence that's prabably just stuff for the acrades... it's not probable, but hey, we can always dream, right?

Although it is a little fishy that Sega refuses to say what those things they patented are for.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
That's because RingEdge is coming to consoles! HURR HURR HURR.

nah but seriously. That's what I'm wishing for. lolol.

And besides, Sonic games are only ****ty atm because of Sonic Team. Sega is rarely developing alone. They usually publish someone elses games, madworld, or they have 2nd divisions like Sonic Team, which blows atm.

G U R U

Smash Lord
Well someone here never played Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Street Fighter III: Third Strike, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Ikaruga, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, or Phantasy Star Online (to name a few), did they?

Anyway, I personally think that this rumor is bull, like I said, it's all probably stuff for the arcades. I love Sega, they were a big part of my childhood and I still enjoy many of their games. But as I said, we can all hope and dream for the improbable, eh?
One of the greatest RPG's ever right here.

I would definitely buy a new sega console.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Please don't mention Grandia II. I was in the middle of the game recently (25 hours in with minimal grinding but ALOT OF EXPLORATION AND NPC-ING) and I just lost my VMU. .___.

uughhhh.

finalark

SNORLAX
One of the greatest RPG's ever right here.

I would definitely buy a new sega console.
I have very few JRPGs I've ever liked. And I've liked even less anime. That's how good Grandia II is, it's a JRPG that's trying to be anime that I actually liked.

Although I did drop it like a hot coal once I got Shenmue...

G U R U

Smash Lord
I have very few JRPGs I've ever liked. And I've liked even less anime. That's how good Grandia II is, it's a JRPG that's trying to be anime that I actually liked.

Although I did drop it like a hot coal once I got Shenmue...
soooo wait... your saying you like it right? lol you said that in a very confusing way.

I've never played Shenmue before so I wouldn't know about it.

finalark

SNORLAX
soooo wait... your saying you like it right? lol you said that in a very confusing way.

I've never played Shenmue before so I wouldn't know about it.
Yes, I liked Grandia II. However, I don't like most anime, nor do I like RPGs set in anime style. For instance, I didn't like Tales of Symphonia or Star Ocean. And I hated Riviera: The Promise Land. But that's how good Grandia II was, it was an anime RPG that I actually liked.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
If they do come back I'll probably buy Seaman 2. But that's all I can think about buying from them really. Maybe some other games but mainly Seaman. I'd be playing that game more than I would Animal Crossing.

G U R U

Smash Lord
Ya I didn't like ToS or Star Ocean either. I don't like that many newer rpgs actually. Mostly just the old ones. Except for FFX. I love that game :)

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Sorry to bump, but I mean, whether or not it would suceed (which if SEGA pulled their third party ***** out of the 3 major gaming giants, would totally work with the right funding) they obviously have some sort of intentions to remake a console at some point. You don't patent controllers for ****s and giggles.

That is, if thats true.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
nah it's just so no one else can make the controller in their name, it's purely legal, means nothing about their intent as a company. once you invent something, you have to constantly renew the patents, even if you never ever ever use it. cause it's just when you don't renew the patent, that someone else comes along, takes your idea, runs with it, and makes all that $ you never was going to make anyway. and thus is the world of business revealed.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I like how people say that Sega shouldn't return to the console market because they don't make good games. And by good games, they only mean Sonic games as if that's all Sega has.

By using their "brilliant" logic, Microsoft shouldn't be in the console market.

Top Bottom