• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If Samus had a shine... (not a serious thread, maybe)

Chevy

Smash Ace
Well here is the thing, bombs dont explode on shield unless you get it on the shielded hitbox of the opponent, so in PM its technically a harder tech to do than melee. As for the size of the activation hit box is not the issue here, there are only a few things you could do to make this tech viable, which would be increase the amount of shield stun when both the bomb and its explosion hit on shield, so it gives samus more time to wd back to the center of their mass and bomb again, another option to change would be to just simply shorten the time it is required for a bomb to come out, so we could get 2 bombs out in the same time as one when they do explode on shield, so it doubles the hit stun the opponent is in and gives samus time to wd back to ground into another option for safe pressure
Actually, bombs don't touch shields at all in PM. They just go right through and hit your opponent. It's one of the things that Samus is still lacking, though it's somewhat useful in it's own right. You can't use them for shield pressure because they can't hit shields. Instead, it's a free 8% to a potential followup when you have the opportunity.

Litt

Samus
yeah, but if you bomb on your opponent in shield, I believe it does not do the 8% an instead damages their shield

Chevy

Smash Ace
yeah, but if you bomb on your opponent in shield, I believe it does not do the 8% an instead damages their shield
Nope, just goes through. My roommate noticed it before I did, it just doesn't interact with shield at all.

Litt

Samus
Nope, just goes through. My roommate noticed it before I did, it just doesn't interact with shield at all.
Damn... thats something the PMBR team should really add on the list of tweaks to samus

Chevy

Smash Ace
Damn... thats something the PMBR team should really add on the list of tweaks to samus
Yeah, I would love to lay on shield pressure like I see in melee. That and melee tether would just about make her complete. Also extender, but that seems unnecessary and unlikely.

Litt

Samus
hmmm this did get me thinking though... samus can actually create hitstun on an opponent in shield, just a thought, but bomb on an opponent in shield into a wavedash back to ground, so you are back to back with your opponent, into fire upsmash, wanna try that out for me @ Chevy Chevy ?

Chevy

Smash Ace
Was actually thinking about doing that exactly, minus the back to back part, which is smarter. When I get a chance to play someone I'll definitely give it a go, seems good.

Litt

Samus
Was actually thinking about doing that exactly, minus the back to back part, which is smarter. When I get a chance to play someone I'll definitely give it a go, seems good.
Well last hitbox is the only one with enough knockback to shield poke, but the problem is getting samus in the back to back position in the first place

Litt

Samus
#BombBuffs
#This has way too much potential to let it sit idly
Thanks @ MonkUnit MonkUnit
da bess
It only has potential if my previous options are implemented to the melee bomb and how it affected their opponent, if it was left as is in melee, its uses are still extremely limited :(

Last edited:

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
How would you be able to put your opponent into a hit state / hitstun if bombs were made to be like Melee where they did not go through shields? AFAIK, the bomb has 2 hitboxes; 1 is the trigger hitbox and the 2nd is the explosion, both of which do not hit through the shield in Melee.

In order to recreate Melee's bombs as much as we could, we had to make them go through shields, but IIRC didn't someone say that the bombs can hit shields like in Melee but only if the bombs are at a certain area and if the shield is angled or something? I may be remembering incorrectly.

Chevy

Smash Ace
How would you be able to put your opponent into a hit state / hitstun if bombs were made to be like Melee where they did not go through shields? AFAIK, the bomb has 2 hitboxes; 1 is the trigger hitbox and the 2nd is the explosion, both of which do not hit through the shield in Melee.

In order to recreate Melee's bombs as much as we could, we had to make them go through shields, but IIRC didn't someone say that the bombs can hit shields like in Melee but only if the bombs are at a certain area and if the shield is angled or something? I may be remembering incorrectly.
I think that was a misconception, as far as I can tell, they just ignore shields completely.

Litt

Samus
I think that was a misconception, as far as I can tell, they just ignore shields completely.
Yes it was my mistake, you can bomb off your opponent in shield, but you can not bomb off their shield. Which is strange, because these bomb's ignore all rules that shielding has established up to this point in this smash series.

Chevy

Smash Ace
hmmm this did get me thinking though... samus can actually create hitstun on an opponent in shield, just a thought, but bomb on an opponent in shield into a wavedash back to ground, so you are back to back with your opponent, into fire upsmash, wanna try that out for me @ Chevy Chevy ?
So I tried this out, and it's difficult to get back-to-back. The bomb turns them around so you'd have to airdodge through them and to the ground after detonating it. I landed it in front a couple times, but it pretty much comes down their reaction. It's just really confusing for them. I landed like three bomb-dashes in a row against a guy just because he kept shielding and trying to use laggier moves. I'd put it as an occasional mix-up because I doubt it would work well on experienced opponents. Bomb into D-air is much safer, so mixing between that and going back down for another bomb or waveland->forward-smash if they shield is probably better usually.

Litt

Samus
So I tried this out, and it's difficult to get back-to-back. The bomb turns them around so you'd have to airdodge through them and to the ground after detonating it. I landed it in front a couple times, but it pretty much comes down their reaction. It's just really confusing for them. I landed like three bomb-dashes in a row against a guy just because he kept shielding and trying to use laggier moves. I'd put it as an occasional mix-up because I doubt it would work well on experienced opponents. Bomb into D-air is much safer, so mixing between that and going back down for another bomb or waveland->forward-smash if they shield is probably better usually.
Thats disappointing, ive been trying to effectively implement samus's upsmash for a while, and there are such few instances where its a viable option, and even fewer where it is the optimal move choice :'(, the quest continues

Chevy

Smash Ace
Thats disappointing, ive been trying to effectively implement samus's upsmash for a while, and there are such few instances where its a viable option, and even fewer where it is the optimal move choice :'(, the quest continues
Maybe it's just me but I use Up-Smash all the time. It's my go-to out of down-throw, and chains into itself at least once if they don't SDI well. Sometimes up to 5 or so times on spacies. It can be really degenerate. It's still fairly good anti-air, and with the improved hitboxes you can use it on the ground fairly easily when you have a good punish opportunity, as it sets them for another chain of aerials. I've even used it a few times on opponents recovering above the ledge if they don't have good disjoints. It can even kill at high percents now. Granted, none of my regular opponents really SDI that well, but even in tournament, there's only been like one guy who's gotten out of it fairly consistently.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Maybe it's just me but I use Up-Smash all the time. It's my go-to out of down-throw, and chains into itself at least once if they don't SDI well. Sometimes up to 5 or so times on spacies. It can be really degenerate. It's still fairly good anti-air, and with the improved hitboxes you can use it on the ground fairly easily when you have a good punish opportunity, as it sets them for another chain of aerials. I've even used it a few times on opponents recovering above the ledge if they don't have good disjoints. It can even kill at high percents now. Granted, none of my regular opponents really SDI that well, but even in tournament, there's only been like one guy who's gotten out of it fairly consistently.
yeah lol the people I play DI well, and I think you are a little confused as to what SDI is... because the majority of throw you can't SDI, at least that is the case in melee, I am not sure about PM

Chevy

Smash Ace
yeah lol the people I play DI well, and I think you are a little confused as to what SDI is... because the majority of throw you can't SDI, at least that is the case in melee, I am not sure about PM
I meant SDI the Up-Smash. In any case Up-Smash is much better than in Melee.

Top Bottom