• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If Brawl is anything like Melee...(First post edited :o)

Laijin

Smash Hero
But.. I've seen videos of Azen losing to ken a whole bunch of times, and to other people... that's what I meant by he doesn't beat everyone, because he doesn't. He loses some matches.

I KNOW he's one of the world's elite, hence ''ALTHOUGH HE DOES SLAY'' Way to pick up on something insignificant and insult me for it, when you clearly know you're incorrect in stating Azen ''beats everyone'' That would imply he's never lost a smash match, and he has. So why don't you think before you call me an idiot.

You've been to tourneys where Azen was there? Lucky... I envy you. I was at a tourney today with Canadas best players, theyre realllllly good but theyre nothing, nothing compared to people like azen ken and isai.
I've played Isai, Ken and Azen(Azen the most). I never said Azen wins ALL of his matches, hence why he placed 3rd instead of 1st(Although if he was using his Marth, he probably would've won). So seriously, learn to read plz.

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
Wow....There is no need to L-cancel once you learn it? I have no comment on that.

Yes,but what about those who jump with X?
for the first part... you misread what he said.
he said there was no reason NOT to L-cancel after you learned it. which is WHY it wouldnt matter if it were removed.

for those who jump with x, it would be an adjustment. i jump with x. its not like it will kill us. at least we're still on the gc controllers.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I've played Isai, Ken and Azen(Azen the most). I never said Azen wins ALL of his matches, hence why he placed 3rd instead of 1st(Although if he was using his Marth, he probably would've won). So seriously, learn to read plz.
Ok fine, by ''master everyone'' I thought you meant ''beat everyone'' Since I dont see how you could master everybody without winning every round, thus implying that Azen wins 100% of his matches.

But these are just technicalities, don't tell me to learn how to read, just because you used the word ''master'' instead of ''beat'' doesn't change the fact that your post gave the impression that you think Azen wins 100% of his matches.

Obviously, that isn't your opinion, its an online forum and its easy to make mistakes so whatever dude I dont even care, really. Sorry I misintepreted you.

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
I cant imagine playing Brawl without the speed that Melee has. Wouldnt that be like SSB? Because if its like SSB I dont think I'd enjoy it as much as I would with it been Melee speed.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Laijin you were wrong! He used Luigi about as much as Pikachu and Link at Smash Aid. Just thought I would remind you lol.

Brawl looks pretty fast right now... fast enough anyway.

and dude, if it's a smash game, we know Isai is gonna rule at it, look at 64 and melee? lol

ps while at Smash Aid I saw Azen 4 stock this Falco in under a minute. it was then on I knew he was TOO GOOD

shaquille502

Smash Rookie
i know it should kinda be the same u know with all the boards and stuff but other than that it should be like a NEW GAME WITH DIFFERNT THINGS

punisher47

Smash Journeyman
the game is going to have small changes i think just like smash and melee like they have add in the new crawl system but i think the game will play the same as the other two.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
With any luck, Brawl will be the same shot in the arm for the series as Melee was. At the very least, it should be somewhat difficult to go back once you've played Brawl.

Shapechanger

Smash Apprentice
That's an interesting point. If L-cancelling were not in SSBM, it would be a totally different game at high levels... unless every aerial attack just had half the lag to begin with. If that were the case, would competitive play really be that different? It'd be technically simpler, and there would be less of a "what if I screw up and get boned" factor, but character strategies would largely remain the same.

Which brings us to the question of "Is the existence of L-cancelling really necessary?" All it does is force players to press an extra button every time they use an aerial attack. One might even say it's just a cheap way to increase the technical difficulty of the game. After all, L-cancelling isn't the same as a skill like short hopping. Once you've learned to short hop, it becomes an option, but not something you'd use in all situations. There are still times where you'd want to full jump instead of short hop--it requires you to think strategically before you can apply it to your game. But there's no reason not to l-cancel once you've learned to do it-- halving lag is never a drawback. So you just do it every single time, almost mindlessly.

Shouldn't technical skill be a tool that creates options, not just force faster button presses?

Just a thought.
Wow, you know I just now realized that this is totally true. There's no decision involved at all when you get L-Cancelling naturally into your game. Even teching there's always times when it's better to hit the ground, but L-Cancelling never hurts you.

Xpected2

Smash Rookie
That's an interesting point. If L-cancelling were not in SSBM, it would be a totally different game at high levels... unless every aerial attack just had half the lag to begin with. If that were the case, would competitive play really be that different? It'd be technically simpler, and there would be less of a "what if I screw up and get boned" factor, but character strategies would largely remain the same.

Which brings us to the question of "Is the existence of L-cancelling really necessary?" All it does is force players to press an extra button every time they use an aerial attack. One might even say it's just a cheap way to increase the technical difficulty of the game. After all, L-cancelling isn't the same as a skill like short hopping. Once you've learned to short hop, it becomes an option, but not something you'd use in all situations. There are still times where you'd want to full jump instead of short hop--it requires you to think strategically before you can apply it to your game. But there's no reason not to l-cancel once you've learned to do it-- halving lag is never a drawback. So you just do it every single time, almost mindlessly.

Shouldn't technical skill be a tool that creates options, not just force faster button presses?

Just a thought.
Kudos. I'm with you on this one.
Also, whether or not wavedashing is Brawl, won't bother me much. It wasn't in the original Smash, and that game was so great that the only reason I bought a Gamecube was for Melee.
Likewise, it is the only reason I am purchasing a Wii.

I'm not worried about wavedashing, or L-Canceling. I'd like to keep the side-step and air-dodges. I use them well in the air, and masterfully in the ground.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium

Just a thought.
Unlike other advanced techs, the l-cancel in melee is never a bad idea. In SSB64 however, and this may be argued but I've found it to be true, in certain situations it is better not to z-cancel. For example, if you drill kick someone on the ground with jiggly and don't cancel the attack they will be popped upward leaving you with the advantage for possibly an U-tilt followed by a down-B. If you cancel the drill kick it seems to cut off the final hit of the attack leaving them neutral and at an equally advantagous state. Samus can get an Up-B in and other characters a jab. Unless you miss with jiggly's drill, you don't want to z-cancel it.

This could be a good way to implement the l-cancel in brawl, most of the time it could be good, but maybe certain characters would have have arials that you would be better off not canceling unless you miss

smash_fo_life

Smash Journeyman
i hope it is like melee cuz thats 1 of the best games out there it 7 years old and still selling ive unlocked everythin so it not fun anymore but wen friens r over what can beat a party with smash

Top Bottom